iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Questionm on poplar logs

Started by Downstream, July 10, 2017, 08:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Downstream

I have two poplar logs to saw for my own use.  they are each 76"long and approx 24" diameter both pretty straight with little taper.  Normally I live edge cut slabs 2 or 2-1/8 thick for use in rustic live edge furniture.  Wondering if I should cut to 5/4 and use for indoor projects only.  Not sure how poplar will last outdoors or what the grain will look like with clear finish or natural oil finish.  Comments from anybody?
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

OffGrid973

Just gave my dad 4 boards all ~1" thick and 6 footers, he made a planter.  It is so light I would cut 2.5" thick and then resaw when needed.  The 2.5" seems to be the smallest thickness that my customers want for rustic shelves that they attach the Home Depot pipe fittings to. 

Just my opinion but if you have lots of space cut a little of everything, the poplar stacks blow over before maple in my next of the woods :)
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

samandothers

Would not think poplar to hold up as a planter. Have you cut one before or make special provisions to protect?

OffGrid973

They are for condo associations where plants do not come inside and are just used for the season. Dump dirt, flip and stack inside garage, repeat next year.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Poplar is not a bad wood outdoors IF used for board and baton. It will last for years.
I watch BARNWOOD BUILDERS on cable TV and have actually seen Poplar hand hewn logs over 100 years old.

But using Poplar for outdoor planters, outdoor furniture and other projects, I would not recommend.
It is a hardwood but the softest of hardwoods.

As far as what the grain will look like.....from my experience you never know what you will get.

Here are 4 boards I sawed the other week. The next log I sawed lumber out of looked nothing like this.  :D

Poplar will give several different colors when sawn from all clear to green, brown, purple, orange and yellow.
But after drying it all generally turns the color of light brown.

Most of my Poplar is sold to cabinet makers for backing.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

Poplar as with any other specie in regards to what to saw and how to saw it really boils down to the end purpose. I would say regardless of intentions be sure to flip the log/cant maybe every cut. Most I've seen just has inherent stresses. And most likely going for a target of 8" wide for 4/4, 5/4, would fair the best.. JMO,, sticker stack with weight, unless going up on a shed or barn right away. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!