iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

question of the day

Started by jdw, March 18, 2016, 04:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdw

I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't seem to find it on here. A few weeks ago I got the blade what I would consider warm on my mill. Now I've got a wobble when I'm at my cutting rpm. So the question is, is it possible that I got it hot enuff to take the tension out of the blade. Everything is new manderel shaft collars so I'm certain  my problem is in the blade. But I can't imagine no hotter than it got that it took the tension out.

GAB

Not knowing what type of mill that you have my comment may be way out of line, so take that into consideration when assessing it.
Could your wheel belts be degraded because the blade got warm?
Could there have been sawdust between the belt and the wheel that got cooked onto the wheel and is causing the problem?
Is it possible that a wheel shaft bearing is gone or going on you?
I sure would try another blade, maybe even two and see if the problem persists.
I would also change the belts.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Magicman

Sounds more like a circle saw Gerald.  This is an example of why adding the sawmill to the profile eliminates confusion and aids with answering questions.   :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jdw

dgdrls

Hi JDW,

what diameter is the saw,  and what do you consider warm??
do you know what caused it to heat-up?

Dan

GAB

Quote from: Magicman on March 18, 2016, 07:53:35 PM
Sounds more like a circle saw Gerald.  This is an example of why adding the sawmill to the profile eliminates confusion and aids with answering questions.   :P

I checked the post carefully for info as to the type/brand of saw and not seeing anything is the reason I worded it the way I did.
I hope he understood.
Also are you drying out yet?
Here it is projected to be in the teens in the AM for both Sat. & Sun.
We should get at least one more good sap run out of it.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

jdw

56 inch. Yes I hit a nail and dulled  a couple of teeth. It was warmer than it should have been but not to hot to touch.

4x4American

My old boss would put a 4' level up to the blade when he thought it got hot to see if it got warped.  Sometimes it got really hot, you couldn't touch it with bare hands, but if you could pull the blade off you could cook eggs on it I'm sure.  So we'd let it cool for awhile and go sharpen the teeth/sticker lumber.  Does playing with your guides do anything for ya?  Blade might need hammered, but, there's a local guy with a circle mill who says he hasn't sent a blade to be hammered for 20 years and he's been sawing full time for a long dang time.  Says he just fools with his guides and he can reverse whatever happened.  I've also been told that what he does is not proper, by a guy who hammers saws.  So who knows.  Wish I could be of more help.   
Boy, back in my day..

sandsawmill14

does the blade stand up and saw right when it hits the wood ??? does it lead in or out ??? are you sure is wobble and not a couple of shanks bent over just a little from hitting the metal??? is it inserted tooth or no ???  sorry for so many questions  ::) :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

jdw

Can't do nothing with the guides it's just hammering on them it is cutting thin on the front and thick in the middle. It's a wobble for sure.

Ron Wenrich

I've gotten blades hot.  I've had them look like a pretzel when a piece of wood got stuck between the blade and the offbearing deck.  Let it cool down and it still cut good.  Saws will often get warm, especially when the teeth are dull.  I knew of one mill that would get their saw so hot they threw water on it.  We bought that mill, and I changed teeth and sawed with that saw.

You could have taken the tension out of the saw by hitting a nail.  I never had that problem and I hit plenty of metal in my career.  Did you check your shear pins?  A nail shouldn't have sheared them, but you can never tell. 

I'm thinking its more about sharpening after hitting a nail.  You also have to look at your shanks.  Sometimes hitting a nail will pull them out of line.  That will make your saw do crazy things in the cut.  Nails will also take the corners off of your teeth.  You have to make sure that the tooth isn't longer on one side than the other.  I often took out the damaged teeth and put in some worn down teeth to replace them.  That always seemed to work better than trying to get a damaged tooth back to good condition. 

When you hit that nail, you probably wore a little off your guides.  The chatter is probably due to too much gap at your guides.  I always ran my log side guides fairly tight.  It takes out the wobble and you shouldn't get the chatter.  If you get some, back off the board side guide.  That has been my experience.

Is your saw under cover or is the sun beating down on it?  During cool weather and low sun angle, the sun doesn't have that much effect on the blade.  As the weather heats up, and the sun gets higher in the sky, you can have problems from that. 

If all else fails, then go to the saw doc.  He'll tell you to hammer the saw.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

jdw

My saw is under a shed. I'll check the shanks but this thing is flopping bad from side to side if you get the guides close it wears them down. But my saw use to be stiff now it seems loose if you try to shake it.

dgdrls

JDW,

you know your mill best, you certainly shouldn't be steering the blade with the guides.
Do you recall when it was hot, was it on the rim, across the whole blade or at the eye.

thanks for posting,

Dan

jdw

It was hot in the eye. As for forcing the blade with the guides I never have you can't get them within a 1/8 on eaither side. I plan on taking the blade and have it spin tested monday see how it turns out.

dgdrls

JDW,

Good luck with the blade, It will be interesting to see what develops,

Dan

dgdrls

Quote from: dgdrls on March 20, 2016, 08:36:59 AM
JDW,

Good luck with the blade, It will be interesting to see what develops,

Dan

JDW have you had time to get the saw blade evaluated?

Dan

Thank You Sponsors!