iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

fertilizing white pines

Started by dustyhat, December 07, 2015, 07:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustyhat

Some say i cant and some say i can , whats your thoughts , there planted for wind breaks, no plan for harvesting, seem to be doing alright but would like to get them going better. there about 2 to 3 year olds.

beenthere

Doubt that you will kill them by fertilizing.. as long as you follow the instructions for per acre applications.
What they don't need, they won't use.
2-3 year old trees take some time to establish a good root system, and then without too much competition will take off and grow well.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

curdog

I think that controlling competition is more valuable than fertilizer, unless you have really poor soils.  If you fertilize without controlling the competition then the pines will not be the only vegetation using the fertilizer. I like a quick pass of herbicide around the trees in the yard to free up as much water and nutrients to those trees.  Fertilizer probably won't hurt if applied correctly.

brendonv

I fertilize my white pine sound/privacy plantings with left over fert from spring and fall fertilization to customers properties.  I core drill and fill with what ends up being 10-10-10 or a 14-14-14.  I also surround all these tree with wood chip which now turns into black gold eith plenty of worms and worm castings. Roots travel far and trees look gorgeous.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

SwampDonkey

Trees don't take much for fertilizer. So go light, most will wash out in the rain. Keeping competition away has far greater results for growth.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

brendonv

Take a soil sample.  Our local ag station does them for free. They make sugg stions based off what you want to grow in certain soils. I bring samples all the time.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

SwampDonkey

Our local soil testing facility was never found to be reliable here in NB. They closed that service up a few years ago. And the longer the soil sits around , usually in a cardboard container, and gets oxidized the less accurate. We had to ship soil for tests to Ontario. And nothing is free in these parts. Just saying.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

It is not "free" here either, as someone is getting paid to do the work. Tax money comes out of our pockets. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DeerMeadowFarm

Here the soil samples are done by U-Mass. I assume its the students that do the actual work so in this case, it's probably being paid by the students themselves through their tuition.

SwampDonkey

At least your not double billed, tax money for wages, plus money for service. :D

landscraper

I was told by the nurseryman where I get trees sometimes that planted White Pines grow like this - sleeper, creeper, leaper - meaning the first year they do nothing, 2nd year they grow a little, 3rd year is when they show real growth.  Maybe they need another year to "leap"  :D

I planted about 60 EWP as windbreaks/screens ten years ago at 4'-5' and they followed that pattern, they are now close to 20' and bushy.

Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

beenthere

My planted white pine seedlings stayed in the sleaper stage for 3-4 years, then started "creeping" for a few years, then took off and now doing well after 15 years.
south central Wisconsin

SwampDonkey

I planted about 3500 on the woodlot at random. The moose, and rust disease have ruined most.  :D

My red oaks got hit hard by snow shoe hare, even ones 15+ feet tall. Chewed the bark off in a wide ring or bad enough that they rot and fall over at the wound.

dustyhat

Thanks, to all the reply's i will do as suggested :)

Peter Drouin

Just like planting a Chistmas tree, you look and look and say well grow. :D :D :D
But in a year or two they will.
I do put cow poo around them, I think it helps.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

DeerMeadowFarm

Thank You Sponsors!