iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

372XP?

Started by travelr64, April 14, 2004, 08:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

travelr64

My biggest saw is a 50cc Poulan.  I've modified the muff, and the saw does run very good.  And, believe it or not, it starts very easily.  Even if it is a Poulan.   But . . . I do need a bigger, better saw.  I have a lot of firewood to cut and buck.  I am also cutting some ash, oak, pine, and cedar for the mill.  For the most part, about 24" DBH are the largest trees I'm cutting, although There are plenty of larger cottonwoods around, up to 40" DBH.  Also, I might like to do a little slabbing one of these days.

I'm looking at a new 372XP.  I see ya can get 'em at southwest for $565.  That seems to be a pretty good deal to me since they run $750 locally.  Do you guys think this saw will fit my usage?  Or do ya think I need something bigger?

Thanks for the replies.
Coop
""Now look what you've gotten us into ! ! !

David_c

without a doubt. buy it and enjoy.

Kevin

That's a very good choice for what you're cutting.

rahtreelimbs

You can never go wrong with a 372. If you look hard.....real hard you can find them cheaper than $565.
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

travelr64

OK then, give me a hint where to look real hard at.

Please and thanks
Coop

Rob

Coop ,

Try Commercial Cutters Direct in NY you can  get them there for under $550 , or Baileys in CA for around $525 or so.. They both have websites just do a search and you'll get them.There are a few other places you can try.. I got my 385XP from a place called Power Made Easy they have a site .. www.powermadeeasy.com they'll have them cheaper I bet

Rob

Duane_Moore

Trv 64   good choice, only had one for about 2 mo. and its a Dandy.  Duh---Duane
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

oldsaw-addict

Try www.alamia.com  they have huskies for practically no $$ at all. and as for the 372 GO FOR IT!
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Oregon_Rob

I would like to interject two thoughts. I am very pleased with my 372 and have had it for about a year and a half. You said "slabbing", if by this you mean occasionally milling softwood under 18" you will be pretty happy with the saw. If you mean 36" hardwood forget it, you will need a bigger saw. What many people do, is buy the saw, become addicted, and then go after that next, bigger high (saw). Before you know it, you are hiding saws and saw paraphernalia from your wife and saying things like, "I don't have a problem" or "I just saw socially, I can quit any time I want to".
In addition, it is not uncommon to find local dealers who are willing to negotiate or price match.
My buddy picked up a 346 for a really good price locally, after he showed the dealer the internet price.

Have fun.
Chainsaw Nerd

rahtreelimbs

QuoteOK then, give me a hint where to look real hard at.

Please and thanks
Coop

Try here,

http://catalog.getsaws.com/browseGroup.cfm?item_group_id=69861

Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

travelr64

QuoteYou said "slabbing", if by this you mean occasionally milling softwood under 18" you will be pretty happy with the saw. If you mean 36" hardwood forget it, you will need a bigger saw. What many people do, is buy the saw, become addicted, and then go after that next, bigger high (saw). Before you know it, you are hiding saws

I do appreciate this comment on the possibility I might be better off going with a 385XP.  I have been considering that option also.  It's only about $115 more with the 28" bar.  Also, I've checked with the two local dealers on the price.  They both refuse to budge.  I would rather buy locally, but the best deal I can get is $120 difference, not including the sales tax of $52.  I can't justify that, no way.

Hiding saws?  I don't think that'd do much good for me.  The only person I could hide 'em from would be myself.  And if that works,  I'd be better off not using a saw I'm sure.  I get yer drift though.  Thanks.

All in all, southwest and Alamia seem to have the best prices including the bar and free shipping.  I should have my IRS check in a couple of weeks, and I think I'll buy one.  Maybe even the 385XP.

Thanks a lot guys
Coop

oldsaw-addict

If you find the 385 doesnt have enough power, Hide it in the attic and get a 395 XP for milling, its equal  to if not better than an 066 Stihl. I have a few toys like that here, I just have to hide saws from myself so I dont get tempted to trim the trees with my cut off saw :D I have too much time on my hands, gotta go waste more of my time. :D :D
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Kevin

A 385 is ok for milling but unless you're primarily cutting big wood I think you'll find it's more saw than you need.

archerR80RT

Hey Coop, since you're just down the road from me I have a 394 xp you can try out if you want to try a big saw. It was the saw model before the 395 xp came out in about '98 or '99. I really like it for the big stuff and if you would like to try one out to help you decide just let me know.  thanks, gary

Oregon_Rob

QuoteHey Coop, since you're just down the road from me I have a 394 xp you can try out if you want to try a big saw. It was the saw model before the 395 xp came out in about '98 or '99. I really like it for the big stuff and if you would like to try one out to help you decide just let me know.  thanks, gary

Now that is right neighborly of you. Many people use the 394 for milling.
Chainsaw Nerd

Thank You Sponsors!