iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade & Belt "gunk" buildup?

Started by Dad2FourWI, October 26, 2013, 10:26:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dad2FourWI

Time to show my ignorance again but I am experiencing some blade build-up that is causing me troubles.

I have been milling up 3x6 beams for making a new coop for the chickens and ducks before winter hits and am using Red Pine logs that were cut two years ago and have been laying outside up on supports (about a foot off the ground)

They are wet and heavy!!

I tried to use a steel brush to clean the blades but this build-up is really on there!

When I popped the case, I noticed that the buildup is on the belts too...

Here are a few pics.

The mill is spoiled... it has a place in the barn!

Here you can see the buildup on the blade

This is a bad picture... I should have had my daughter take it!... but you can see the buildup on the belt as well.

Here are some some of the 3x6 beams for the new coop - 28 chickens and 2 ducks.

I have _not_ been using any water/mixture during cutting and this is the first time where I have been experiencing this... but any/all advice is very much appreciated!!!

Thanks,
-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

Solomon

You need some kind of drip system running.   I use off road diesel but I have 30 inch steel
band wheels with no rubber belts or band wheel tires.
Having belts or rubber tires you need to use a detergent mixed with water.
You'll have to expieriment a little to get your mix right.
A fuel product will soften or disolve your belts or tires.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

beenthere

Are you showing a couple pics of the coop ? or a lumber drying rack?   

The array of lumber assembled there is a bit confusing. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dad2FourWI

@Solomon, thanks... I was starting to think that I may need this...

@beenthere, no, that is just a whole mess of 3x6's all stacked in some bins created for drying stained siding... We have the foundation in the ground for the new coop but have not yet cut enough beams for the walls, so we were waiting to start the building until we have enough to complete the new coop.

Always something to keep a person busy!!! <grin>

WH_Conley

Lube, plenty of lube. If inside I would rather worry about drying the water than having fuel laying around.
Bill

YellowHammer

Needs oil based lube or a detergent and water mixture.  Diesel, Pine Sol, Dawn, Cascade etc.  A properly lubed band should be as clean and shiny when it comes off the mill as when it went on.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

terrifictimbersllc

Can't saw like that.  Use enough cascade gel in water , and enough of this mix, to keep the blade clean.  Shouldn't build up on the belt if so.  If it does you must clean it off the belts. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Solomon

Quote from: WH_Conley on October 26, 2013, 10:57:32 AM
Lube, plenty of lube. If inside I would rather worry about drying the water than having fuel laying around.
I think you're right WH, When sawing indoors or under a shed that is partially enclosed , I can see how a fuel drip may raise concerns as it could be a real fire hazzard.
I store my LM4 in a big pole barn and pull it out and set it up to saw which takes about  30 min with a good tail man helping me.
As I said I use off road diesel set at a very sliw drip.  About a small eye droper drip every 3 or 4 seconds.   My drip tank is made into the head rig from a piece of 6 inch chanel plate 3 inches deep and 9 feet long.  I guess it holds around 8 or 10 gal.   With the drip rate, I'm not spilling anything on the

Solomon

ground.  If I start sawing indoors I may have to address the issue.

Dad2FourWI

Thanks for all the replies!!  :)

Yes, lots to experience and learn!

I talked to my nearest WM retailer about all the suggestions and he also suggested just using straight windshield wiper fluid.

I found the hose that was originally shipped with my LT-10 and hooked it up to the mill head and the tank, filled the tank and just ran it a bit on idle and it already looks a LOT better!!

I will keep it on a bit of a higher flow as I mill today and periodically check the belts as well - they still have a little buildup but also look much better than before!

Many thanks to all... I am back to making sawdust right now!!!!!

-Dad2FourWI

red pine

I have experienced exactly what you show in the pics. on bands and belts when cutting red pine logs. Needless to say (when first got into milling) a broke a number of bands even when using pine sol in my water, so I decided to do the following. I run the band in slow speed with lubricant running and then taking a flat file (other metal devises may also work) set the file on the "back" of blade carefully so as not to rack over the teeth and the "gunk" scraps off easily as the band turns. Make sure you are doing this from back side of the band. You may have to do this more than once while cutting a single log, if not, danger of band breaking. Also do this before removing band for sharpening so it is nice and clean. Approx. 1 year ago another member showed pictures that by stopping the  sawhead while cutting a log with band running, the log would scrap off some of the gunk. I do this sometimes as well but not as good as the file. As far as the belts, I have not felt this was a serious problem. I scrape them when band is removed for sharpening.       

Dad2FourWI

Hey All !

I thought I would reply on this for future newbies that have a similar question!!!

I used straight windshield wiper solution all afternoon and it worked a treat!! The blade looks brand new, the belts are about 90% clean and my little LT10 is cutting like a champ again!!!

Thanks to everyone for the feedback... again, I appreciate the sharing of knowledge!!

One more day of milling and we should be pretty close to having enough beams to make the new coop for the birds! I will send some pics as the new coop "goes up".

Now... time for some red wine... this old man's back is not feeling so well...... :(

Cheers!
-Dad2FourWI

Sixacresand

On my LT10, I periodically take a air hose and blow the saw dust that may be caked up in the discharge shoot. I am guessing that dirty bands is what causes build up on the belts.  Once the buildup on the belts is thick enough, the bands do not make contact with the roller guides.  Milling old fat lightered pine is the worst.  Need lots of lube and patience.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!