iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Temporary shelter for mill

Started by patrickshull, December 20, 2014, 03:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patrickshull

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum but not so new to milling.  I've been running Woodmizer sawmills as a full time custom cutting business for 28 years now. I just picked up my fifth mill, Lt40 super/remote work station/36hp yanmar diesel. Love it.   Here is my problem.  As I said, I do custom cutting on location. Most of my jobs are two or three days and then I move elsewhere. But this winter I've started a job that I will be on at least till spring. Did I mention I live in PA where we get a fair amount of wet snow. So here is my question, any ideas on a simple and cheap shelter I can put up?

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

I've wondered if one of the popup hunting blinds might fit over the mill head. Just let it sit on top, not worry that it doesn't reach the ground.
i.e.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/productlist/hunting/hunting-blinds?d=115&c=413

If more substantial for the winter location, then maybe one of the temporary garage shelters that have some framework to them and tarp.

Likely want something that will be fairly easy to remove for sawing and fold up for transport when the time comes.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Welcome to the FF Patrick.

I am assuming you mean a shelter for your mill and not you to sleep in.

Probably the cheapest way would be to just saw some 4x4's and a few 2X's. Construct a shed carcass and throw a tarp over it and secure it.
By sawing your on 4x4's....you have an option on the length as to how high the roof needs to be to give plenty of clearance for the head to move down the rail.

Buying a tent, IMO, is not gonna give you enough height.

Good-Luck Pat and Welcome again!  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

DaleK

Maybe you could find a cheap used RV awning from a trailer park or something?
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

47sawdust

I agree with the goat......there I said it.You are going to be there a while in variety of weather.A simple shed to protect the work station as well as the head overnight and weekends will pay big dividends.Forum member Redbeard has a deluxe set up for his Timberking.I think something like that would serve you well.
Good luck,
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Sixacresand

A big patio umbrella stuck in the head uprights worked well for me.  It was only good for rain and the sun.  It would be useless in the snow.  And I broke mine off while working under a low hanging tree branch.   :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

Hello patrickshull, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

The guy that I bought my sawmill from was using the framework that uses tubing like electrical emt conduit.  The corners and roof peak are welded pieces that the legs and other framework slips into.  They are seen at flea markets.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hunz

Slightly off topic, but do you feel the 36hp yanmar has ample power, or did you ever wish you spent the extra $ for the 47hp option? I am on the fence right now with a mill upgrade, and just looking to get some user feedback.
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Warped

Home Chepot sells those corrugated plastic panels pretty reasonable. With enough purlins I bet it would hold up on a quick decent temporary frame.
I was using a 10' easy up an staying on top of the snow cleaning. Well, I missed the forecast a couple weeks ago. Holy smokes was that thing mangled, and the fabric was shredded from the saw head.........yup, I'm an idiot and my wife agrees, it was hers.
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

Thank You Sponsors!