iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log lifter for woodsplitter

Started by bitternut, April 23, 2006, 11:08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitternut

I am trying to add a hydraulic log lifter to my woodsplitter to make my back feel better. I have seen them pictured for sale as an option on commercial splitters but can't seem to find anything of hydraulic valves needed to operate one. A simple diagram is like this  \__  where the lifter lays on the ground, you roll the large round block onto the lifter and then lift the arm with a hydraulic cylinder so that it is horizontal like a shelf. The arm would be hinged to the splitter beam on one end. The shelf part closest to the beam would also be long enough to catch split wood off the wedge and keep me from having to bend over all the time to pick the wood back up off the ground. I have a auto return valve on the splitter now and need another valve to operate a lift cylinder. Anyone ever do a project similar to this or know of a source for the control valve I would need?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

mike_van

Herb - I did this last year, northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company has the valves, I used the same detent valve as on the ram, when the lift gets to the  ground, it kicks the valve out. Open center, you take the "out" from the ram valve, go to the "in" on the lift valve. The "out" from the lift valve goes back to the tank. I have some pics. in my gallery here, email me if you would like larger ones, i'll send them.  I'm using it now, should have done this 15 years ago.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Frank_Pender

I simply used my wife as the lifter for two years.  Then, one day the blond roots didn't seem to run so deep and she got a hold of the valve handle when my back was turned.   I had the lifting services for two years, 'till the valve touching occured. :'(
Frank Pender

scsmith42

In addition to northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company the Surplus Center also stocks a lot of hydraulic goodies. 

http://www.surpluscenter.com/hydraulic.asp?UID=2006042322010657&catname=hydraulic
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

sjh

Herb
Would a set of sliding forks from a forklift work. I know were there are a bunch of junk forlifts. PM me if you like. I am in orleans county.
Scott

bitternut

Yes Mike I could use larger pictures of your splitter. I will pm you with my e-mail.  Frank I need the lifter so that my wife will do the splitting faster. She likes splitting wood so I want to be a nice guy and make it easier for her so she doesn't wise up and tell me to split all the wood.  :D  :D

Scott I don't think forks would work but thanks for the offer anyway. I could probably use a set for the loader on my tractor though if you know where some are available. We are right next door to each other I guess. I am located only a mile west of Niagara/Orleans County line along the lake shore.

Thank You Sponsors!