iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chainsaw....chaps or pants

Started by Mr Mom, June 15, 2006, 10:52:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

mr mom, chainsaw pants and chaps have to meet different standards depending where they are used and what that industry demands. They are usually measured in threshold speed, that is, the maximum chain speed they are designed to withstand. Stihl has chaps that are rated at 2600 fpm, inexpensive but not enough for compensation rules. They are good for the weekend warrior, light and not uncomfortable to wear.  Most loggers here use the ones rated for 3600fpm but they are pricey. The heaviest are rated at 3900fpm, expensive, heavy, and hard to move in but give the best protection. The seismic exploration companys I worked with insisted on these.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Mr Mom

Thanks alot sawguy21... I am just a weekend and sometimes a weekday warrior.
     I think i will get the middle priced ones.
     I get to order all my stuff on friday from baileys as a late fathersday gift.
     Thanks alot to all for the help  8) 8) 8).

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Raphael

Quote from: Ed_K on June 15, 2006, 09:25:10 PM
Just remember, if you need to move more than 2 steps put the chain brake on. I hear their real cool with thongs  ;D.

Especially important when crossing over a downed trunk as you can't always see what you are about to step on.  I learned this early on while working with a saw that tended to spin the chain on idle once it got hot.  I found myself in a deep knee bend with the blade spinning less than an inch above my achilles tendon and a half inch below my freshly notched wallet.  I think the thong would have been a problem in this circumstance.  ;)

I'm still getting used to the chain brake concept as my 4yr old Stihl 066 is the first saw with reliable chain brake I've ever had and I tend to forget it's there.  I instinctively turn the saw off before moving (or putting it down, I opened a boot once with a saw idling on the ground), when felling my saw is usually off before it's out of the kerf.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

theonlybull

i've found my chaps tend to come unsnapped at times, and snag in the brush alot worse....  i really prefer my pants....  when i could squeeze into them  :D ...  the chaps are nice, cause you are more likely to use them.  only takes a min to toss them on. 

when i was workin' full time loggin'  i got in the habit of snaping the chain brake when ever i move, and i still carry that habit to this day...  my father hates it, everytime he grabs my saw, the brakes on  8)
Keith Berry & Son Ltd.
machine work and welding

UNCLEBUCK

Thank you to everyone who has give me places to contact for safety clothing and the ideas of sewing them to my second skin"bibs" .

Chain brake gets slapped on by me like a habit .  Want to hear a good one ?

About ten years ago me and two others sawing a spearing hole in the ice with a old chainsaw and no brake , I was along for the ride that day as I was invited to go fishing so we drove out on the lake and the 2 other men started sawing , they didnt keep the chain spinning and it froze up just a bit, the one man wearing the cheap yellow cotton work gloves grabs the chain with both hands , top and bottom tugging on chain while other man is gunning the throttle , I blew the pickup horn to make them stop ! 

Told them start the woodstove in the fishhouse or bring the stinky saw in the cab of pickup ,  they said hey good idea and next thing I hear is kaboom and smoke rolling out of fishhouse , they lit the fire with gas  smiley_fused_bomb
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Norm

Gee UB I guess my two brothers must of moved up your way...sounds like them to a T. :D

It's second nature to me to pop the brake on the chainsaw if I'm moving any distance. I've been using a new 372xp for trimming the ends on logs before I slice em up. That baby would have no problem cutting me just as easily.

UNCLEBUCK

These 2 brothers are my cousins , I never turn my back when I am around them  :D  . They have story after story like that for the last 25 years , well I better try and sleep , went to bed at 10pm tonight  :-\ Goodnight Norm  zzzz_smiley
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

MSU_Keith

UB,

You might want to look into the Husky bibs - they got full wrap legs, are easy on and off even over boots and the biggest size fits me (56 Chest, 46 waist.  They are even pretty cool - depending on what you got on underneath  ;).

They were expensive though - over $100 if remember, but it was either this or no cutting per my wife; since nothing else fit.

Thank You Sponsors!