iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

save, saw, sweep, stack, sticker, secure, and dry one log at a time

Started by doc henderson, March 24, 2019, 05:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodnacreek

Hope your ok. From my experience elm should not be cut less than 5/4".

doc henderson

A little tincture of time and all my urinary symptoms are gone!!!.  I planed a live edge slab of elm last night.  air dried under top cover for a year.  MC 17%.  planed out nice starting at just over 2 inches and ended up 1.75".  for a buddy to make a TV stand with pipe "industrial" legs.  no smell now.

the check was in the log before I milled it, in the log.

I have another 6 slabs from this tree 10 feet long and the widest is 31 inches wide.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

busenitzcww

Nice looking wood Doc! Do you have a pic of the wood wet/finished? I have a couple elm trees in que, and I thought they looked more orangish to me? But then again maybe they ain't elm ???  The top one has been cut for a year, but was similar to bottom left in color. 

doc henderson

Your top one is the same color these were when I got them and milled them, had sat for a few years.  I gave several pieces away after planning, and no one wanted me to dump water or finish on them! :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

busenitzcww

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

Thanks cfarm, works for me and my small scale "operation".  Still enjoying the jelly we won and you so generously donated last Christmas.

aigheadish

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

VB-Milling

Came looking for something exactly like this write up!  Greatly appreciated.

Currently, with CSM'ing, I mill, stack and sticker without machinery.  While you have a forklift, @doc henderson its still nice to see a basic setup from start to finish.  I recently read about using plastic banding and tooling up for it was well worth the cost for the quality of flat lumber.  Would you agree with that statement with your experience with metal banding?  I don't do anything except stack and sticker.  I stack in the Euro-style, but don't use any restraining.

When I make the jump to BSM'ing, I'd like to improve the quality of my air-drying operation and this post is a great starting point.
HM126

doc henderson

thanks for the kind words, and welcome.  I have used metal and plastic.  the metal can stain the wood where there is contact, and they get loose as the wood dries.  The plastic develops a tension (like a spring) that helps keep it tight and the buckles can be re-tensioned.  weight on top is the best as gravity remains constant as the wood dries and is working against the flat surface below.  Even in the straps, a whole stack can twist within the banding.  that is resisted best under weight on a flat surface.  My method is how I did all my stuff before making pallets.  It keeps the log in order for book matching and color/grain matching.  when it is ready, I un-band it and put the boards from that log in the same stack.  good luck.

VB-Milling

@doc henderson 

I didn't see anything in your process related to dealing with bugs. Perhaps the information is in another thread, but how do you get your wood project ready?
HM126

doc henderson

I try to sticker soon, and under 20% most stuff is not going to do well, I store it on concrete, and try to have good log yard Hygiene.  I do not sterilize on a large scale,  I have Timbor to spray but have not used it much.  I am mostly a hobby guy, and not selling to the public.  I have sterilized small amounts at 160° overnight in a warmer I have.  good call.  

doc henderson

Thank You Sponsors!