iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any trappers in the group?

Started by LeeB, February 25, 2008, 06:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

Just talked to Lindy on the phone. I had set out some traps before I left home this time because we had been having trouble with a bob cat eating the chickens. I think she must of shot the cat before I got home last time 'cause I never saw hide nor hair of it. Long story short, I forget to pick up the traps before leaving. Seems there is a big ole coon in one now. Is there still any money in hides? I remeber my older brother doing some trapping when I was a kid and he made pretty good money way back then. $50 for a big boor.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

HOOF-ER

I haven't trapped in a while.  Most of the furs are not worth the high bucks anymore.
Coons -last I saw were around 12- 15 bucks. Perhaps there are some current prices on the internet. There are so many around here I am sure the prices are low. When prices are high we don't see many coons.
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

Fla._Deadheader

I used to sell to George I. Fox, Co. in New York.  Might try a google ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Slabs

I use a Conibear to trap Armidillos in my flower beds.  Not much market for the pelts though.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Greg Cook

Some of the state wildlife offices will have area price ranges posted from time to time.  'Course, you done got him, it's all profit from here on out...

Greg
"Ain't it GOOD to be alive and be in TENNESSEE!" Charlie Daniels

LeeB

I recon if anybody sell him, it will be my son Paul. I don't think it'll keep till I get back home. :D :D  I was just curious about pelt prices. The coon in a trap reminded me of my brother.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

LeeB

Thanks Jeff. I realized after I posted that this would be better in this board. I figured you would move it for me.

trapper

Fur Fish Game magazine and the trapper and Preditor caller magazine have fur prices in them every month.  In the march 08 fur fish game southern coon 10 to 12 dollars. Also any coon taken this time of year will be poor quality.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

brdmkr

I am surprised coons are bringing 10 - 12!  I trap a good bit every year, but it is part of my job.  We don't sell the hides as most of the animals are released alive.  I used to trap for fur and for bounty on beaver, but I haven't done that in a while.  I used to love water trapping, but now I do everything dry land.  Every year, I think about buying a few traps and fur trapping again.  Of course, that would cut into sawmill time, building the shop/house/shed time, woodworking time, and just keeping everything going time. 

Still, thanks for reminding me of something I used to enjoy.  Too bad the animals I am working with now are not to prone to water trapping.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Clark

I trap but haven't done any this year due to moving across the nation.

In general hide prices are down, you won't find many coon that will bring $50 right now.  There are some, but you have to send them to the Canadian auction houses to get that sort of price and probably 1 out of 5000 will get that sort of price.  >:(

In general, coons are the only thing really worth trapping this year, but that will probably change by this time next year.  Fur prices have been extremely fickle for the last 4-6 years.  I've gotten as much as $10 for a weasel and as little as $5 for a beaver!  It's a real gamble trying to break even trapping right now, thankfully I do it for the recreational aspect of it (although I don't mind a check for my furs).

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

LeeB

The $50 my brother was getting was in the mid 70's before it became politicaly incorrect to trap the poor little beasties. :D :D

Norm

I remember when coon pelt prices went through the roof last time. You never saw a road kill last long on the side of the road. :D

By now the pelts on most coons is getting pretty ragged. How about a Davy Crookett hat instead. ;)

SwampDonkey

Back in the early eighties, we were going fishing and up the road there is a hydro dam and going up the hill from the dam were two fresh killed beavers. This was August. Mom's uncle always trapped and so did grandfather. It wasn't the best time of year to get fur, but we took the beavers to mom's uncle. They were both blanket sized beavers, meaning really big ones. They had some hide damage because of being run over. But, mom's uncle could perform magic with dental floss and sowed up the damages. He kept them in the freezer until later in the trapping season. One pelt he got $200 and another he got $250.  :)

The Hudson's Bay Company Ends 320 year old Fur Trade in 1991

I see on one website that a king sized beaver fur blanket fetches about $5000. They are lined with fleece.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

fuzzybear

no coons this far north.  The price of lynx is up to A$775 a piece. Good year for my dad, it's his last year trapping and he has 50 so far. Wolves are over a $1000 and he's got 5. I havn't even begone to count the martin and rabbit's yet.
   Back in the 80's dad live trapped over 100 lynx and cared for them all winter before they were sent to Colorado. He got $1200 a piece for them.
   Back in the late 30's he trapped with his brother 100 silverfox. I have the receipt  where they were paid $200 a piece for them.  The price for silverfox in Paris at the same time was at $1000. They really got ripped off.
   Trapping is still a lifestyle up here.  When you sit in the local bar on a friday night listening to Barnicle Bob play ragtime and songs of the north chances are you are going to be sitting with a trapper, a bush person, or a gold miner..   It is truely like stepping back in time.  That's why we choose to live where hell froze over.
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

SwampDonkey

Yeah that was around the time they started raising the silver foxes in Salisbury, NB. It was a booming business. There is a link in this forum someplace with some photos of them handling live silver foxes. My uncle raised them for years down in Sussex, which isn't far from Salisbury. We have a lot of beaver around here, but always did when I was a kid to. But what seems to be coming back in large numbers around here is the river otter. They moved in on the beavers on my woodlot and cleaned them out of two beaver houses. I seen another last spring a couple miles down the road running across an open pasture. I said to myself, 'what the heck?' And last year I seen bobcat tracks for the first time around here. All the ones I ever seen were up on the Tobique River watershed. I guess now they are coming into the Town of Perth around the garbage bins at night.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!