iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fuel/Oil mixture on larger Huskys

Started by twistedtree, November 26, 2005, 07:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twistedtree

The Husky manual for the 385 says to use 1:32 fuel/oil for saws over 80cc (1:50 for saws less than 80cc).

Do any of you actually do this?  Do you carry two fuel cans for your small and large saws?

sawguy21

I run 50:1 in everything built after 1970 of which there are only two, the 045AV Super and the Husky 345, my daily driver. ;D The old un's get fired for fun and occasionally annoy the neighbours on 32:1
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

twistedtree

It's amazing to me to see the difference in responses to this question between here and the ArboristSite.com board (I posted the same question on both boards).

Over there, it triggered a raging debate over things that nobody can substantiate, and assertions by people who clearly have no idea what they are taking about.

I like hanging out here much better - people don't pretent to know something when they are really clueless.

Thanks for the great site.

Rocky_J

The moderators tend to discourage insulting posts here. This tends to cut down on the posturing and pontificating.
8)

bwalker

QuoteOver there, it triggered a raging debate over things that nobody can substantiate, and assertions by people who clearly have no idea what they are taking about.
Alot of people on the interent have no idea what they are talking about. This sight is no differant.

Corley5

Quote from: bwalker on December 03, 2005, 11:18:56 PM
Alot of people on the interent have no idea what they are talking about. This sight is no differant.

And where do you fit in ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Coon

Quote from: bwalker on December 03, 2005, 11:18:56 PM

Though I am not a moderator of this site I do not feel that this comment was at all called for.  The people on this site are all friends and admit to what they do or do not know.  If we on this site did not have any professionalism to go along with our knowledge then why do we have so many high end sponsors.  Frankly I think that your comment has insulted me. >:(
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Corley5

Quote from: Coon on December 03, 2005, 11:40:56 PM
Though I am not a moderator of this site I do not feel that this comment was at all called for.  The people on this site are all friends and admit to what they do or do not know.  If we on this site did not have any professionalism to go along with our knowledge then why do we have so many high end sponsors.  Frankly I think that your comment has insulted me. >:(

Well said 8)  Thank you :)

beenthere

Hopefully, he meant to say "this site is different" and just mis-spoke. Maybe he'll come back and let us know more about what he really meant.   I hope.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

Quote from: beenthere on December 03, 2005, 11:49:44 PM
Hopefully, he meant to say "this site is different" and just mis-spoke. Maybe he'll come back and let us know more about what he really meant. I hope. :)

Doesn't matter to me one way or the other :)

jokers

Quote from: Corley5 on December 03, 2005, 11:35:53 PM
And where do you fit in ???

Bwalker knows oils and fuels. He has a formal education in the field as well as practical work and racing experience.

Russ

jokers

Quote from: Coon on December 03, 2005, 11:40:56 PM
Though I am not a moderator of this site I do not feel that this comment was at all called for.  The people on this site are all friends and admit to what they do or do not know.  If we on this site did not have any professionalism to go along with our knowledge then why do we have so many high end sponsors.  Frankly I think that your comment has insulted me. >:(

bwalker did not by any stretch of the imagination say that all, or even many of the posters on this site know nothing. If I can take the liberty of paraphrasing him, he was essentially saying that a person must know the credibility of any person posting to know what value to place on their written opinion expressed on any forum, and often you will find that people argue simply for no reason other than they want to argue whether they know anything or they don`t.

Now if you guys are so saintly that you can honestly say that you never encounter anyone on the forum that you would like to lambast or that you don`t form opinions about who is credible and who isn`t, or who you simply don`t like, then you are better men than I am. Given that you Coon, took such quick offense to bwalker`s apparently ambiguous statement, and that you Corley5 also seem to take offense to bwalker based on this one statement, I`m figuring that you`re no more saintly than I am. ;)

And before you all go off on me, remember that I have 500 posts here so I must both know something and also be your friend, so be restrained and civil. :D

There could be several reasons why this site has several well known sponsors but I`m betting that the first and most important reason is that the members of this site display a propensity for spending money on the products that these sponsors manufacture or sell. I`m sure that it`s important to the sponsors that the average member here not tarnish their reputation in any way but I highly doubt that there is any significant benevolence, as in supporting the operation of this forum, simply because the sponsors like the posters.

BTW, I kicked in $10 for the support of this forum because I like it. Ten bucks seems to be the standard offering at a couple of other forums that I visit so I thought it appropriate here, perhaps Jeff will provide some feedback.

Are you guys kicking in any funds or is your input your sole contribution to the playground fund?

Russ

Corley5

bwalker

I guesss i have a way with words. :D
The gist of what I was trying to say is that very few people are educated  with regards to two cycle lubrication. As a result all kinds of old wives tails and BS get passed of as fact.
If any of you guys would like to shoot some questions at me I will be happy to answer them to the best of my ability.

BTW dont be so quick to jam pile the new guy. 8)

Coon

I was very doubtful at the way in which you used the context.  You had spoken those words in a rather offensive manner to which I found that you were saying that we as FF members do not know anything.  EDUCATED OR NOT  this site is all about learning how to better ourselves at the things we love to do.  People are often very opionative which can lead us in the wrong.  I for one do know what I am talking about when it comes to oils/lubrications for the sole fact that I have travelled around with my step brother testing oils/lubricants for a well known Co. in which he works for.  TESTS HAVE PROVEN MANY FACTS that people still find hard to believe true.

Now lets not argue on this site for we all still have many things to learn.  Opinions have their time and place but also need to be limited.  Also please at the time of your comments state how much knowledge on the topic that you may have whether it be that you are in a proffesion that regards the topic or just that you have knowledge from personal experiences. :)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Corley5

That's why the Smileys are great tools.  Things can and are at times ;) read differently than we meant.   ;D  :)

bwalker

I find it opdd that Husky would reccomend 32:1 for the bigger saws and 50:1 for the smaller saws. Typicaly in most two cycles its the smaller the bore the more oil reccomended.
At any rate I would run 32:1 in all saws.

weimedog

B, he said:

The Husky manual for the 385 says to use 1:32 fuel/oil for saws over 80cc (1:50 for saws less than 80cc).

But I have lived buy the rule of thumb..more oil for the smaller ones....I used to also
temper that old wives tail....but one I live buy...by RPM's. More RPM's more oil. Its been 32:1 for
all my two strokes for quite a while now. Motorcycles and Chainsaws inclusive. Don't want anymore than one can mixed around. Never know whats the priority for the weekend, Milling, Riding, Horses, Trail Maintenance, Firewood..never ends.

I hve to wonder if Husky is worried about a cooling issue? Or maybe that was simply a miss interp of the manual.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

bwalker

QuoteI hve to wonder if Husky is worried about a cooling issue? Or maybe that was simply a miss interp of the manual.
I have to wonder if its not to help with the slew of big end rod bearing and crank bearing failures the 385's are having.
If I where milling  I would run 20:1. Milling is murder on a saw.

Jeff

Actually Russ, there are several of our sponsors that are here because of how this forum is ran, how the members conduct them selves and because they want to be associated with a POSITIVE and sometimes powerful force that such a group of people provide.   I get thanked time and time again for providing such a place by these sponsors. I have had several of them grab my hand at a show and tell me that very thing. Guess what? I have NEVER had one tell me that they thought we were responsible for giving them a boost in business or selling another mill.

Sometimes, good companies look at things without seeing directly into the pockets of potential customers. Sure, its ultimately about making a profit, but sometimes a company will have the for-sight to see that when something is good for the industry as a whole, it certainly is good for them as a part. Thats where many of our sponsors fit in. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

David B

Jokers and Walker, you have my utmost respect as far as knowing your stuff. (Matter of fact, I'd like to tickle your brains on tuning here before long, and before I mess something up, ha-ha).  I must say though, as far as being a nice place to hang out, this forum beats the pants off the other. My main hobby (passion) is offroading, and I've spent a lot of time on related forums. I gradually quit, mostly cuz I got sick of people and their bad attitudes, and partly because I wasn't learning anything I didn't already know. See, that's the nice thing about this forum...even if I ever get to that point of know most of it with sawing, etc, I'll still hang out here...cuz yall are great folks.  I think half the people on the net hang out there because they have no friends in "real" life cuz they're jerks. I am forever marveling at why people think it's ok to mouth off and be rude to people on the net they don't even know, when they wouldn't do it in person (or at least not get away with it without getting hit in the face :-D). I've had my nose snubbed over there too was told I was being stupid and unsafe for using what I had to accomplish what I need to. But what I'm planning isn't stupid, just slower....a guy posted up somewhere there the other day saying how he quit being active there because of the attitude of the "pros". Looking down on us guys who do or try to do things ourselves. I agree some people should just stick to their day job, but some of us are jacks of all trades, and good enough to get by at them. My family owns a machining and welding shop, so I'm somewhat of a pro when it comes to metal working, still got a lot to learn though. But I don't come down on people who bring jobs into my shop to fix/finish after they tried and messed it up. I help 'em out. It's the American way, or it used to be, and should be. People used to do everything for themselves, and only hired out what they really couldn't do. I think that is part of what made America great. Lots of people who just got it done and helped each other out. Now everyone works all the time, neglecting family, etc, the things that really matter just so they can have enough money to own the latest greatest biggest car/house and pay other people to do simple things like mow their lawn and change their oil. What happened to spending Saturday with your son teaching him about all that stuff? I'm comparatively young, (24), but I was raised right, and my 5 month old son will be too.  DanG, sorry for the long novel/rant :-D. I guess that's what forums are for though, eh? Discussion.    In short, I love forestry forum to death, these guys are great.
Machine and welding shop day job, trees after work.

jokers

Hi David,

You`ve made several insightful and true comments in your previous post. I admit to being rude to people on the various forums but I think that I only do it when someone is obviously trolling. If you disagree, please tell me so and show me an example or two.

I know that I should just ignore trolls but what fun would that be? ;) I also know that many people can`t accept that someone else knows something that they possibly don`t know and they sometimes lash out at the person delivering the info. Oh well.

Jeff and his moderators run a tight ship here and they have definitely established a reputation for a civilized forum.

Russ

David B

Yeah, I'd agree.

When people come in here "trolling" trying to tell me how to do my job and obviously don't know what they're talking about, they don't get far either.

>Jeff and his moderators run a tight ship here and they have definitely established a reputation for a civilized forum.

smiley_thumbsup
Machine and welding shop day job, trees after work.

twistedtree

Quote from: weimedog on December 04, 2005, 07:19:10 PM
I hve to wonder if Husky is worried about a cooling issue? Or maybe that was simply a miss interp of the manual.

I don't know about cooling, but the manual is very clear about the mix recommendation in the different cc ranges.  The manual in available on their web site if you want to check it out.

I haven't found anyone yet who carries two mixes - everyone either goes all 32:1 or all 50:1.  32:1 seems like the more conservative approach, provided it won't harm the smaller saws.  I don't care if 32:1 causes the saw to exceed EPA limits - I've already made sure I'm doing that.

Thank You Sponsors!