iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Kenworth Under-way. Headed for the mill with load of hardwood pulp.

~Ron

Tom

Y'all must have a tremendous used tire problem up there.  Lordy, look at all those axles.

Ron Scott

They do keep the tire shops in business and we do have a used tire problem. The cogeneration plants fueled by wood chips are now seeking permits from DEQ to burn tires in a mixture with the wood chips. Expensive scrubbers are required on their stacks however to eliminate the sulfides etc. That's the political debate right now.

This producer whose truck is pictured has seven such semi's and an equal number of chip vans and he has another new semi on order. Just think of his tire bills alone. I remember when he started with a chain saw and old iron-mule forwarder on one of my first jobs. He is one that has done well.
~Ron

Ron Scott

Sawmill Loading Out Excess Sawdust. A mill's sawdust may also find a market for increased wood utilization.

~Ron

Jeff

Rons' picture of the sawdust loading reminded me of a question that I hear all the Time. What do you guys do with your waste?

I say there is no waste in our mill. Everything is utilized. The Bark is shredded and used for Mulch and Landscaping.

The Sawdust is used for animal bedding, or trucked to co generation plants to be burned and converted to energy. The slabs are chipped and find thier way to a multitude of companies that process them into other products.

Every spec of every Log that comes into our mill is fully used.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

Jeff,

Maybe you can get some pictures of such waste product uses at your mill for posting. Where does the "waste" go?What happens to chips and sawdust is an often asked question, thus the reason I put that picture in. That one was taken at Nelson's Sawmill near Bristol, MI.  
~Ron

Jeff

Sawmill by-product

Shredded bark. This is just the way it comes off of the log using our Morbark Debarker. This bark may find its way to almost any part of our state for lanscaping or mulch. Some customers purchase the bark then regrind adding color which makes it last longer. I like it natural, but then again if mine gets to looking old I know where the big pile is.  ;)

THIS PIG WAS FOUND BY FURBY

Ron Wenrich

Bark in our area only gets used if it is aged.  They want that dark brown color.  Most bark is double ground, and very little gets dyed.

Our wood chips are also turned into mulch.  We don't do it, but another outfit buys chips to shred.  There are also guys who shred old pallets.  This is profitable since they charge to take the pallets away, and it is cheaper than tipping fees at landfills.  Wood mulch can be aged or dyed.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ron Scott

Red Pine Thinning. Red pine thinning area after last winter's work with the Timbco T415D tracked feller buncher seen in previous photos.

~Ron

Jeff

Ron, around here they fight over the bark and the sawdust. All we have to do is keep track of whos checks are good. Sorry Kevin "Cheques" :)

Frank_Pender

I have sure appreciated this series.  I have found it to be better than a Sears Catalog on a rainy day. :P 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Ron Scott

Thanks for the complement. I didn't know if there would be much interest when I started it. We need some logging photos from other parts of the country also to see how things are done else where.
~Ron

Ron Scott

Red Pine Thinning. The first thinning just starting with hand cutter. The slash and woody debris will be left on site to go back into the soil.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Gafner 5110-Iron Mule. This will be the forwarder used on the short-wood red pine sale.

~Ron

Ron Scott

John Deere DC70D Feller-Buncher. Completed its work, being "loaded out" upon completion and closure of timber harvest area.

~Ron

Ron Scott

John Deere 450G Crawler. There is often work to do after the timber harvest. One such task is to clean, grade, level, and seed the landings.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Handwork. Handwork is sometimes needed for the finishing touch, especially where the landing access joins the County road.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Log Landing Becomes Wildlife Opening. The landing is seeded with a wildlife seed mixture to be maintained as a wildlife opening until the next harvest in 8-10 years.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Hagar the Horrible. The tree fights back.

~Ron

Ron Scott

John Deere 450G Crawler. The "clean up" dozer. Access roads and connecting skid trails often need to be closed to prevent unwanted motortized vehicle access on the property after the timber harvest is completed.

~Ron

Ron Scott

The Living Forest.  "Good Forest Management"  may merit a sign.

~Ron

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ron Scott

From the Michigan Resource Alliance, if they still have them. I got some from Eva Rice when the MFRA Office was in the UP at Crystal Falls.

I don't know where they're at now. Maybe Jeff knows or can round up a sign for you. Let me know if you locate any? Some landowners really like them as they publicize Sustainable Forestry and are good PR.
~Ron

Ron Scott

Red Pine Thinning. There is still hand work to be done on small jobs and/or sensitive areas.

~Ron

Paul_H

Unloading bush truck at dry sort.
The driver,Joe Seymour, is in his early 70's,with no plans to retire anytime soon.He was the Hook& Rigger that set up the Skyhook in the early 1950's.

My brother Don is running the loader.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Thank You Sponsors!