iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Framing Slick bevel angle question

Started by woodworker9, February 14, 2018, 10:01:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodworker9

I am curious what bevel angle the timber framers prefer on their slicks.  I just purchased a very nice Greenlee (vintage) 3" slick, and like most vintage tools I find, has not been in the custody of an individual who knew anything about sharpening tools.  It has never been flattened (no evidence of even being rubbed on concrete, let alone a sharpening device) and the the bevel shows evidence of, actually, about 20 or 30 different bevels. It's a mess, and I need to regrind it, and am curious what angle you guys go with.

My main chisel sets are all vintage chisels, and I have assembled, over 25 years or so, a complete set of bench, paring, butt, and framing chisels (now completed by this slick) all made by Greenlee.  The steel they used back in the day was excellent quality. 
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Dave Shepard

I use 25°/27°. The 27° Is a micro bevel. That makes it quicker for touch ups. This is lower than I use for my framing chisels because you don't hammer on a slick it doesn't need to be as steep.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

woodworker9

That's what  I was thinking.  Thanks for the reply.

And, Yes, I will be using the tool as a paring chisel, not with a mallet.

Believe it or not, the current bevel is at roughly 45°.....I often wonder how these people live long enough to mess up a fine tool like this one. ::)

woodworker9

Done with the re-grind.  It turned out well.  I had to remove a lot of material.  I measured, and the previous bevel (there were about 20 of them....sheesh what a butcher job) was around 45°.  Now it's 25°

With the handle, it's 30" long.  Nice tool.  I still have to hone the bevel and flatten the back.....tomorrow.

Thank You Sponsors!