iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chaps review

Started by CCC4, February 01, 2014, 10:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

Just wanted to take a bit and post about my feelings on the Stihl ProMark 9 ply full calf wrap chaps.

I have always worn the short Promarks and have never had anything but good thoughts on them. My pair had run their course...totally shredded due to brush and age. They were beginning to hinder my movements through the heavy brush and green briar thickets, causing stumbles and taking away needed energy for all day work.

I asked my boss for a new pair and received them the next morning. He bought me the full length, 4 buckle on each leg 9 ply Stihl chaps. At first I was thinking I was going to not like the calf wrap, just walking from the truck to the bush made me start thinking of ways to cut the calf wrap off. However once in the brush and I quit fighting the notion of dislike..I quickly realized just how well I was getting through layers of hickory tops and green briars. The extra buckles and the calf wrap nearly eliminate sticks coming up from the bottom and snagging the straps on the normal model chaps.

My summation is if you are considering buying chaps or getting new chaps...the extra $30 is worth getting the Stihl ProMark 9 ply Full coverage chaps. My opinion might change this Summer in 100* weather, however with the Superior coverage, I will most likely wear my Dickey's. I would say that jeans will just get too heavy and hot, much less soaked in sweat.

These are obviously just from my own observations and opinions. Thanks!

Woodboogah

I wear and have always worn the same chaps.  They are great!  You are right about summer time though.  I will not go without chaps, so when its 100 degrees with 100% humidity thats when I start when the sun is coming up and leave about noon time.  Even with real light pants, like dickeys they are soaked right through.  Better then the alternative, could be soaked through with blood.
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

Ed_K

I feel the same as ya'll,I like them for times when it between 30 and 50.Below 30 I wear bibs with inserts in the legs.For over 50 I go back to the reg chaps.Yrs ago we had a member on here who just wore chaps no pants in hot summer  :o  ;D .
Ed K

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

pine

I have been wearing the full wrap 9 ply for about ten years now.  As you say they do get warm.  Drink lots of water because your legs will be soaked in sweat.  The down side I have found is they do not come in as long a length as the 6 ply chaps thus occasionally sticks can find their way up the leg.

RayMO

I love mine but as mentioned they are extremely hot in warm weather . Will make you fill your boots full of sweat when it gets above 85 with high humidity . Boy are they nice in briars and brambles though .
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

CCC4

Quote from: pine on February 02, 2014, 11:50:01 AM
I have been wearing the full wrap 9 ply for about ten years now.  As you say they do get warm.  Drink lots of water because your legs will be soaked in sweat.  The down side I have found is they do not come in as long a length as the 6 ply chaps thus occasionally sticks can find their way up the leg.

These go all the way down to nearly my ankles. My 6 plys are short, they come to the very top of my corks.

CCC4

Quote from: RayMO on February 02, 2014, 01:16:59 PM
I love mine but as mentioned they are extremely hot in warm weather . Will make you fill your boots full of sweat when it gets above 85 with high humidity . Boy are they nice in briars and brambles though .

Yep i was just gliding through the briars and tops. Not to mention I won't be looking at the ground for copperheads and rattlesnakes nearly as much! LOL!

pine

I have been having difficulty finding the 9 ply full wrap chaps as of late. 
It is easy to find the 6 ply full wrap and the 9 ply apron chaps but not the 9 ply full wrap.
Anyone else having the same issue.

CCC4

I got mine at the local "po dunk" saw shop that doesn't even carry a wide variety of wedges, had zero idea what a square filed chain was till I brought one in and showed them and doesn't offer full skip! LOL! I guess regions vary. Mine were $125.00...heck they may have ordered them on accident! LOL! I'm sure proud I own them now.

rick f

http://www.labonville.com/Insulated-Black-Nylon-Pants-W-Snaps-WN600P_p_73.html

These are what I wear nice and warm , snow slips off them chaps are inside  they are farily light and best of all I can get around in the brush without sticks getting caught in the straps.

The chaps snap inside.

You can get uninslated ones as well.

Labonville has nice stuff.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

SLawyer Dave

I bought these at Baileys and have been real happy with them.

http://www.baileysonline.com/Safety-First-Aid/Protective-Clothing/Forestry-Chaps/Chaps/WoodlandPRO-Chainsaw-Safety-Chaps.axd

I went for the "Long" pair, since it protects right to the top of my shoes.  I had never really used chaps, but seeing how many of you swear by them, I thought I would give them a try.  Luckily, I haven't yet had to see how well they will resist a chain saw, but they really do give me a lot of protection from branches, brambles and such.  I have also found that they are nice to wear when I am splitting wood or otherwise moving wood around, as it gives pretty decent protection to my legs from bumps, bruises and scrapes. 

CCC4

Chaps just make good sense. I went about 15 years before ever getting cut. One day while in my ERC career, I had fell a 30" heavy limbed cedar, the belly limbs had the tree up in the air.. it was 8* that morning and the timber was froze solid. I no more than touched the backside of a 4in across limb and it exploded kicking the saw out of my grip, the saw spun around and cut me up the outside of my leg. 14 stitches cost me $475. When your main source of income comes from the woods and you have mouths to feed, $475 loss is hard to cover.

coxy

I like the cutter pants better ;D not all the snapping and the snow don't build up in the back  :)

Thank You Sponsors!