iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trying to buy a new saw

Started by Foreman05, October 31, 2016, 01:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foreman05

Hey all
New to the forum not new to cutting. I grew up cutting fire wood with my dad about 10 cord a year. Anyway I am gunna buy a new saw to help with hurricane Mathew clean up and whatever odds and ends in the future. I want this saw to last for 10+ years. It won't get used to often. After doing a ton of research I've narrowed down my list to these I want to be at or below $400 won't need any thing bigger than a 20 inch bar. I'm also in the Air Force so I move around every 4 years give or take so dealer connection is tough for me.

Stihl
Ms250 this saw felt a little cheap
Ms271 farm boss

Dolmar
Ps 421  don't like the fact that some are blue and the dealers are few and far between. Might make it hard when I move around. Honestly never heard of the brand till I read all the great things people had to say about them. I really want this saw for some reason.

Jonsered
2250 not a lot of info on the net about it but grew up liking the brand. My dad ran huskies until about 5 years ago now runs stihl.

Echo
Cs-590 it's a beast seemed like more saw then I need, like the warranty though. Never touched a echo saw either but wow there is a lot of good reviews on this one.

I don't want a used saw I like knowing where it came from. Just a personal thing.
Thanks in advance

starmac

My thoughts are if you want a pro level say and intend to stay in the 400 dollar range, cross husky, johnsered and stihl off your list.

Dollmar and echo's would be closer to what you are looking to spend.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

John Mc

I can't see that you need a pro-level saw for occasional use. It would be a lot of money spending most of it's time sitting on your shelf.

You might want to check out a Husky 450, which is in their mid-range line-up. Similar power to a Stihl MS-271, but lighter. It will handle a 20" bar, though I haven't seen many 50cc saws of any brand that are a great match for a 20". It works (with a bit of patience), but is not the best choice for balance or power with that bar.

If you really want to run a 20" bar, I'd probably cross off your list any of the 40-45cc saws on your list. It takes a lot of patience to cut hardwoods with even a 16" bar on those.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Foreman05

I will check out that husky, I was leaning away from them because of their high intake cover. Not a real good reason just something I didn't care for. I think an 18" bar would be preferred unless I pick up that dolmar than the 16 will have to work. Just called the dolmar dealer and I can get the 421 for $320. Definitely saves some cash for chaps

John Mc

As far as longevity goes, the main factor here for any of the saws named so far is how well you take care of them. If you can get it, use non-ethanol fuel with a quality mix oil. Run it dry if you won't be using it for a while. ("A while" for me is less than a month, if I have fresh gas in it. Keep in mind that if you are only using it occasionally, "I'll probably use it next week" can easily become a month or more before you realize it. Gas is cheap compared to repairing your saw.)

If you use the canned fuel, the shelf life is longer, and you can afford to leave it in the saw for a bit
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

CTYank

Dolmar 421 is a serious piece of machinery, way more so than the homeowner stihlys you mentioned. You'll find reasons to exercise it, no doubt.
Echo 590 and its close relations are actually Shindaiwa designs, suited to long, hard work.
With either of these, question is whether you'll be able to provide sufficient exercise to keep them healthy.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

nitehawk55

If the Echo CS590 seems like too much saw have a look at the CS490 (50cc) or the new CS501P that just came available .
I AM NOT BRAND LOYAL !

Foreman05

I can agree that the echo 590 is a bit much, I don't really need 60cc but it's always nice to have lol. I really like the dolmar I'm a little confused reading that they were bought by Mikita long ago but just recently started painting the saws blue and now only offer a 1 year warranty  ??? Seems strange to shorten the warranty. There is no way I can keep the saw busy. I plan on running canned fuel and running it dry afterwards. Just looking for a saw to have a saw when I need it and keep it for awhile.

timberjack 240a

I know three guys running echo right now full time logging. Only complaint i have heard is the gas tank seems small. Might be a plus in your situation if you want to run it dry for storage.
When all else fails, cut it and see what happens.
2016 kenworth t800, rotobec elite, timberjack 240a, deere 450j, kobelco 70sr, mahindra 4035, to many saws to count

Okrafarmer

I've found that Stihl is always good and they pretty much never play tricks on you. They finally quit making my model I have, the MS290, and I'm not sure what replaced it, but that saw has been extremely reliable. I have tossed it, thrown it, smashed it, dropped it, pinched it, kicked it, lost it, found it, neglected it, thought I destroyed it, and resurrected it. I paid $360 something for it 11 years ago. They should have something good like that in the $400 range today.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

sandsawmill14

i have a 038 stihl (the one with aluminum gas tank) , 034,441 and my brothers have 291, 310, 029 and a stihl pole saw so you might guess what i would recommend  ;D some of these saws are 30-40 yrs old and still running strong :)   i think you would like the 271,291, or 311  they are from 50-60 cc and from $329-$449 on the stihl site and any of them will pull a 20" bar of course the bigger the better ;D :) and i agree to stay away from the homeowner saws i have never owned one but they just dont feel right but the farm boss and commercial saws are good :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

OlJarhead

I've run a Husky 455 Rancher with 20" bar for 6 years without any problems.  Cut a lot of wood with it, even milled some with it.  It's a small saw but for occasional use falling 24" or smaller trees, bucking up same trees into firewood etc etc and this saw does it year in and year out.

Finally changed the air filter and spark plug this summer (after 6 years) and both actually looked fine still.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Foreman05

I'm having a heard time figuring out the difference with some of these huskies. They have a 450 and a 450 rancher but they seem to be identical in specs and the 455 rancher has a touch more power for the same price. Thoughts?

OlJarhead

Not sure what the differences are but my guess is the 450 is a 'home owners' saw vs. a 'farm' saw neither of which compare to a 'pro' saw but the 455 Rancher has treated me very well and was the main reason I bought my 576XP for my mill operation.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

dougand3

I don't think there is significant parts difference between Husky 450 and 455 - just a few more CCs with 455. Probably just a piston, ring and cyl difference. "Rancher" is a marketing term applied to some saws to foster a mid-grade / semi-pro image. It probably does not mean a parts difference but it can....1990s Husky 55 Rancher and Husky 55 are a little different.
There are 2 saw builds:
1. Clamshell engine bolted to a plastic chassis
2. Split Mag (or can be Al) crankcase with cylinder bolted to it.
Husky 4xx series are 1. Nothing wrong with a clamshell - I've run many, esp 36cc, 42cc and 46cc Poulans and they've performed well.
You can search web for "Husqvarna 450 IPL" and see what parts go into it.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

HolmenTree

Quote from: Foreman05 on October 31, 2016, 01:46:40 PM
Hey all
New to the forum not new to cutting. I grew up cutting fire wood with my dad about 10 cord a year. Anyway I am gunna buy a new saw to help with hurricane Mathew clean up and whatever odds and ends in the future. I want this saw to last for 10+ years. It won't get used to often. After doing a ton of research I've narrowed down my list to these I want to be at or below $400 won't need any thing bigger than a 20 inch bar. I'm also in the Air Force so I move around every 4 years give or take so dealer connection is tough for me.

I don't want a used saw I like knowing where it came from. Just a personal thing.
Thanks in advance
I recommend  a MS311. At 60cc displacement enough power to handle a 20" b/c and at a low price look no further .
If you want more power for an extra $50 get the MS391.
I have respect  for these Stihl homeowner saws.
I remember back in the early 1990s when the 039 was introduced. I was just finishing up hand logging with a 044 when the mechanical harvesters were taking over our jobs.
One of the guys brought this 039 to work and we all laughed about it as it looked cheap and was really cheap in price compared to the 044 and the 268XPs.
But that 039 worked the whole winter without a hiccup and put alot of wood onto the landing for him.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

sandsawmill14

Quote from: HolmenTree on November 02, 2016, 11:42:25 AM
Quote from: Foreman05 on October 31, 2016, 01:46:40 PM
Hey all

Thanks in advance
I recommend  a MS311. At 60cc displacement enough power to handle a 20" b/c and at a low price look no further .
If you want more power for an extra $50 get the MS391.
I have respect  for these Stihl homeowner saws.
I remember back in the early 1990s when the 039 was introduced. I was just finishing up hand logging with a 044 when the mechanical harvesters were taking over our jobs.
One of the guys brought this 039 to work and we all laughed about it as it looked cheap and was really cheap in price compared to the 044 and the 268XPs.
But that 039 worked the whole winter without a hiccup and put alot of wood onto the landing for him.

what he said ;D :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

ladylake

I'd get a Echo CS590 way before a Stihl MS311 or 391,  a lot more saw with way better quality for about the same or less $$$. Or a Dolmar 6100.  Out on saw jobs it seems like Stihl quality is headed down hill now days as I see too many almost new Stihls broke down, bad bearings etc.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Walt

Hard to make a conclusion with all the opinions of all these experts. I tend to listen to HolmanTree and take his opinion as coming from a pro with good advice. I'd personally go with a non CM Stihl from the conversations I have had with our Stihl dealer. Other than that I'd probably own some Echo equipment if our local dealer wasn't such a jerk. Stihl is still working on the CM versions and there are fuel filtering issues causing occasional issues, they'll get it right. Stihl quality is still as good as it gets although I'm no pro...Regards Walt
MS461R, MS290, MS170, Homelite XL, Dirty Hand Tools 27T splitter, Kubota B20 FEL&BH, Timberjack Woodchuck, US Stove Co. 2421 for heat. Too many Wheel Horse Garden Tractors..

Foreman05

I appreciate all the options guys the ms311 is out of budget unfortunately. Looks like a beast of a saw tho. Still on the fence due to the amount I will use it. The cheaper dolmar 421 or the big echo. I think I've ruled out the mid grade stihl saw.

nitehawk55

Look at the CS490 Echo as well , it's built every bit as good as it's big brother the CS590 .
5 year warranty is nice and if you have a good dealer nearby that's a plus too .
They have a fall sale up here with $100 off each model , not sure if Echo does  that in the USA as well ?
I AM NOT BRAND LOYAL !

Thank You Sponsors!