iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sachs Domlar 120SI starting problem

Started by The Axe Man, November 02, 2016, 09:49:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Axe Man

Hi guys, just wondered if anyone of you had similar issues with these old Sachs Dolmars? Mine I think is 120SI (although side cover might be off 110) - bugger Would Not Start - tired of it. Has good spark etc etc - everything appears to be fine - but no life. Any similar experiences?
Many Thanks

sawguy21

Did you try squirting gas NOT ether in the carb throat? Did you try a new plug? If that doesn't work remove the muffler and inspect the piston. It may also be as simple as a cracked fuel or impulse line.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

The Axe Man

Thanks for the advice SawGuy! Will try....
Plug is new, but could be fuel line I guess... P.S. Do you mean to  squirt some fuel straight into the jug through the plug hole?

rburg

Just put some fuel mix thru plug hole, reinsert plug and see if saw will crank.

stihlsolo

If this is a 120SI, it has starting Injection instead of a choke plate. Flipping the little lever near the rear handle cams a fat needle inside carb up off seat and allows fuel flow to be sucked into carb throat for starting.

The injection assembly is held in place by a plastic barrel with a plate for a small screw or a pin. The screw isn't supposed to be tightened too much. On my 111i (with same injection setup) the plate cracked around the screw.  Figured mine had an small air leak: not much vacuum, not much fuel suction, hard to start.

And it could also be cracked fuel line, air leak at gaskets etc (these direct port for impulse, there is no impulse hose).

Like said before try some premix in the spark plug hole, reinstall plug, pull and see if it pops.
Stihls 020avp, 024av, 028av, 030av, 031av, 032av, 036, 040, 041aveqs, 042av, 048av, 08, 08s early, 08seqs late, S10, S10 tophandle, TS350.
Solo 611va, 616va, 640, 651, 662

The Axe Man

Cheers folks! Will give it a try . 👍👍

L34

Agree with stihlsolo.Dad has a 120si-starts great.His mate has the same saw and can be hard to start (OK once hot).Squirt of fuel into carby and all OK.Believe it is an enricher problem.(Has no choke).
Chris.

Thank You Sponsors!