iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Band sharpener, what is the actual angle?

Started by Delawhere Jack, May 19, 2013, 05:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

Question for you guys running drag type band sharpeners like Cooks. Have you ever measured the angle of the grind wheel in relation to the back of the band? Say you set up for 9 deg bands, is the grind rock actually tilted 9 deg, or is it tilted slightly more, say 9.5-10.0 deg?

When I completed my sharpener, a test band came out great. The rock was tilted at more than 9 deg, probably closer to 11 deg. I then adjusted the angle of the rock to 9 deg, an now the left edge of the rock wears out after only a few teeth, and then the teeth are being ground at too shallow an angle.

By having the rock tilted slightly more than the tooth angle, it seems to me that it would "back into" the face of the tooth rather than "slide down" it.

Anyway, I'm wearing left edge of the rock out way too fast. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack.

pineywoods

Wearing off the edge of the rock that grinds the face of the tooth is just the nature of the beast. Minimize it by setting the angle of the rock a few degrees more and then just touching the tooth when grinding. A good incentive to sharpen the blades before they become extremely dull. I set the angle on mine for 12 degrees and shoot for a 10 degree face. Re-surface and re-shape the rock often...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: pineywoods on May 19, 2013, 05:31:03 PM
Wearing off the edge of the rock that grinds the face of the tooth is just the nature of the beast. Minimize it by setting the angle of the rock a few degrees more and then just touching the tooth when grinding. A good incentive to sharpen the blades before they become extremely dull. I set the angle on mine for 12 degrees and shoot for a 10 degree face. Re-surface and re-shape the rock often...

Thanks Piney, you've confirmed what I'd suspected. I'm glad I asked before I destroyed another band..... ::)

roghair

DJ, I can not answer your question, but as you know I am using a chainsaw grinder on my sharpener which has a different kind of ginding wheel I think (brown, and it smells a bit while sharpening). I have not noticed any problem with the angle so far. I just set the angle at 10° as the blade should have and it cuts parallel to the face of the tooth. Maybe try a chainsaw grinding wheel ...
built a sawmill

roghair

built a sawmill

Brucer

I have two Wood-Mizer gauges for setting the angle of the grinder. One is an older one, with 3 different angles marked on it. The other is a new one with 4 different angles marked on it.Using a precision protractor, I found all the angles measure 2° more than what the markings say.

When I asked Gary at WM about this, he was aware of it and said it is done that way to compensate for the faster wear that occurs on the corner of the grinding wheel.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

drobertson

Angles, Angles, always an issue, I just match the blade with what is suppose to be the subscribed angle and clean it up. Fuzz cuts are less wearing on the stone, a fine line between multiple passes and getting what you need.  I prefer fuzz cuts and two passes per blade, just my way, 5 min. cycle time, not bad for a sharp blade,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

coastlogger

On my grinder, which I made out of a Norwood Dremel grinder,the adapted on chainsaw grinder sits at abot a 25* angle,the "drop"of the mechanism is what gives me the 10* or whatever.This way the grinding always gets done by the edge of the stone not the face. It seems to work well and requires really no dressing.Profile matches original as close as ___None of the major  grinder mfctrs seem to build them this way and I guess there must be a good reason although Im not sure what it is.
clgr

ladylake

Wheel wear is a good reason the run a CBN ot a ceramic wheel.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ely

i set my cooks on what degree the band is , and i have no problem with the stone wearing quickly, i sharpen like droberston says.

Kansas

You ought to deal with a winter in Kansas. We jump back and forth all the time between 8 and 10 degrees. Depending on if the logs are frozen or not. One week it will be in the 60's. The next week its zero degree temps. Then somewhere in between, you deal with half frozen logs. You do have to dress the stone. Best one I found is from Suffolk Machinery, ceramic style. (this for a Cooks sharpener) They had a harder stone they  discontinued. I actually got one batch from the manufacturer of the stone, but no more than I was ordering, it was expensive, and a long lead time.

Sometimes I think hook angle is overrated. There are so many factors that go into a bandsaw blade. The blades we ever had that cut the best had some teeth missing. I really have wondered what some sort of skip tooth blade on a band saw would do. The problem is, how would you sharpen it. Wonder if the guys from Woodmizer or Cooks haven't tried it. Always wanted to take one blade, and take one out of 3 teeth out of it.

bandmiller2

Jack,the true test is the angle of the sharpened tooth.Get a good quality protractor head and have a white background.Leave a slight gap between the straight edge and the tooth face and you can detect a one degree difference.If your wearing the face of your wheel after a few teeth your using the wrong wheel.I use Cooks Cats claw ceramic wheels and [timberwolf wheels are good too] and get very long life.Even the hard ceramic wheels will wear on the face and reduce your hook,which is usally a good thing.I only dress a new wheel to fit the gullet,and have no problems.When you dress a wheel get a diamond dresser,the one shaped like a "T" with diamond grits on top.Grind off the bare minimum to get a sharp tooth. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!