iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

holmes from Maine to Florida

Started by Tom, March 24, 2010, 04:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

This morning I was blessed with a visit from member holmes.  He had told me by PM that he was coming to Florida and would stop by to visit, and he was true to his word.  We sat on the deck and had a very enjoyable visit.  He has a lot of land, and big holdings, in the North, so I was a bit tedious about my double wide in the swamp, but it didn't seem to bother him a bit.  As a matter of fact, he said that his tromp down my wet, dirt, drive-way reminded him a little of Royalston, his home stomping grounds.

Here is holmes on the porch enjoying the sunshine, a 70+ degree morning, and dodging carpenter bees and Cardinals.

Then we took a short walk into the swamp where he was introduced to the Holey Oak.

.....and finally, the initiation.  :D

Thanks holmes :)

Mooseherder

Them Maine fellers are usually pretty nice cept' sometimes they talk funny. ;)
Wait a second...oh never mind. :D

Tom

We even discussed grits for a few seconds.  :D

Actually, he talks more Taxachewsetts.   I had a tutor in that and Joisy when I was in the Navy, so I could understand him pretty good.  I think he understood me too.  He probably rubs shoulders with a bunch of Snow Birds up there who taught him the language.   Actually, I never learned Joisy too good.  I had to have an interpreter to talk with one of the sailors, a gunners mate, in Fox division.  We got along OK though.  He had quite a sense of humor.  :D   ....once you figured out what he was talking about.  :P  :)

SwampDonkey

Tom, send him back north he forgot to take this spring snow storm with him. ;D It's not adding up to anything, but sure looks ............white. Not even an inch after two days.

Tom, your starting to get quite a following down in the swamp around the holey oak. What else goes on down there in the swamp? Any fiddle heads down there and trout? Gotta be something cooking. Can you eat any wild roots in your neck of the woods? ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Holmes

Tom Thanks for the wonderful time I really enjoyed our visit.I am quite impressed with the ridge all those white oaks are growing on. Did you say it really is 7 feet above sea level? That is a great place you have there even with those loud owls. Thank you for a great time. Holmes
Think like a farmer.

Tom

Thanks, Holmes.  I was really whipped by the time I climbed the hill back to the house. ;D

QuoteAny fiddle heads down there and trout? Gotta be something cooking. Can you eat any wild roots in your neck of the woods?
Yep, we eat most anything we don't have to chase. The Chestnut White Oak acorns are edible and we eat the hearts of palm from the Sable Palms and the Palmetto both. The woods are full of Huckleberry if you can find a spot with enough sun to get them to bear.  Sometimes we find a honey tree.

If you want to chase something, there is Bear, Hog, Squirrel, Armadillo, Turkey, Deer, snake and both saltwater and freshwater fish in the brackish creek.  There are Bream, Black Bass, Gar, mudfish, Red drum, Black drum, eels and mullet.  'Course there is the ever present Alligator.  If that doesn't do it, we have stores in town.  :D

SwampDonkey

That's good to know, because if I ever go off grid and end up living a nomad lifestyle, I'll know where I can migrate to and be confident my belly will always be full. What you cooking up tonight Tom? Charlie says you guys have an uncle that can put a good edge on a knife, so them gators and snakes might taste pretty good on the grill and some boiled palm hearts. Mixed some of them huckleberry in the aligator meat, dry some in the Florida sun for pemican, smoke it a bit, add sea salt. Mmm just like jerky. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

YEah!   I could probably make it on that.  :D

Coon

Are you sure about that Tom?  We wouldn't want you to wither up and blow away in the wind...   :D 

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

fishpharmer

Holmes, nice seeing a peaceful act of Northern aggression.  :D

Glad Tom went easy on you. 8) 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Holmes

The Northern aggression was smothered by Southern hospitality. I am thankful he took it easy on me with his world class wit,now that I am r-e-a-l-l-y small.
Think like a farmer.

Thank You Sponsors!