iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

are the RR buyers in buss

Started by WILDSAWMILL, May 22, 2009, 10:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WILDSAWMILL

i have been trying to call koppers for 2 weeks all i get is a comp anser mach & no one calls back
they still buying RR ties from sawmills?
any one get through latley?
got a good phone #
Kascosaw2B

Bibbyman

We took some ties to the Sedalia, Mo. yard on Friday last and they were very much in business there.   ???
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

WH_Conley

I took some to Portsmouth, Ohio Friday, business was booming.
Bill

Banjo picker

I have never contactated Koppers as they don't have a yard close by.  I am able to sell all i can make to Gross & Janes, but all they will buy is 7 x 9 's at their local yard.  The price has come down some over the last few months, and the quality standards have went up.  They were taking split hearts untill about 3 weeks ago--no more.  That creates a lot of side lumber off the bigger stuff.  I called Sommerville (tie co) a couple of weeks ago to see if I could sell them some 6 x 8 's and they were nice but wern't taking on any new mills.  I am glad I have a good relationship with my buyer at G & J .  I actually get more per thousand for pallet cants than I got for the last load of 6 x 8 's that I took to the yard in Sheiffeld Al.
I wouldn't just fly into cutting untill I had them sold.  JMO.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

woodhick

Was selling mine to Burke Parsons Bowlby in Spencer WV.  Took a load in around the second week of March.  The next week I got a letter saying they would not take any until end of April, then another letter saying they weren't taking any until the middle of May and then another one that said they would not be taking any ties at all indefinatley.  I have not tried to call them but not sure how long they will be down.  I was only selling about 25 ties a month but it did help pay the bills.  Not getting any calls for barn lumber or anything now.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Brad_S.

Among my many interests, I am an armchair railfan. Right now, the railroads in the northeast of hurting. Seemingly every spare siding is filled with idle freight cars and there are hundreds of thousands of engines off line. CSX recently shut down their yard in Buffalo, once second only to Chicago in rail traffic.
The railroads won't bounce back until the economy does and I would imagine capital expenditures for track work will lag behind that.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

WILDSAWMILL

Quote from: Bibbyman on May 22, 2009, 10:57:08 PM
We took some ties to the Sedalia, Mo. yard on Friday last and they were very much in business there.   ???

so you got a contact # id like to call them
Kascosaw2B

G-sawing

Hello, I was sawing and selling about 250 ties every five weeks to Koppers in Montgomery Al. I have the name and number, but there are on hold. He stopped us in Feb. and said they maybe on hold all of 09. I had a terrible time trying to get rid of side wood, most of our pallet-mills in the area are slow or shut down. The ones that are up are not paying any thing for the lumber. I have had to breakdown operations and put the wheels back on the mill and move back in to custom sawing on location.
Should you find your self in a fair fight, you're using poor tactics.

Thank You Sponsors!