iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

firewood cleaner (teaW version)

Started by OH logger, July 17, 2016, 01:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OH logger

i am having a firewood cleaner built like the one teaW posted on here. ( im not good on a computer but if u search under a blockbuster elevators thread you can find it from a while back in the firewood section of this site)  it is goin to be 1 inch rod on 5 inch centers that is on a 42 degree slope but is adjustable. my questions are
1. -does that get mostly all the gritty stuff out? (some kindling fine but the grit is a  no-no)
2.- would it be possible and what would i use if i wanted to make the slope much less but put some sort of a vibrator or shaker on it. i think that would work a lot better but might be a lot more egineering to build. im not coming up with any great ideas on what to use as a vibrator or skaker??

i could and would by a professional built tumbler if i won the lottery but that would mean i would have to get a ticket. they are just too expensive. i think this even without a shaker on it would be good enough for me and darn near maintnance free. any input would help a bunch   thanks
john

North River Energy

5 inch on center seems a little far apart, but then I have no idea what size blocks you're dealing with.

To make a shaker, mount a steel wheel on a stub axle with provision for a belt drive and affix that to your grizzly. Then cut a chunk out of the rim so as to upset balance, then figure out how fast to drive it so as not to have the entire assembly walk on down the road.

OH logger

i kinda think 5 inches is too far apart also but with 1 inch rod that would make the gap at 4 inches. also if its too wide  i can always weld 1/4 inch rod to the one inch rods to narrow the gap if need be but i cant make them wider if u know what i mean. thanks for the shaker idea. i also thought about something i could put the cleaner on that shakes. something that i might have around here that skakes and i oculd just chain the cleaner to but cant come up with anything.....yet :D
john

North River Energy

If you narrow the gap with additional rod, you're effectively creating a shelf for the crap to catch on.
I wish the spacing on my rock bucket was maybe 3/4 to one inch closer. Don't recall the exact measure, but I think it's 3".
What's the spacing on your processor grate?
Are you trying to get ride of just gravel and grit, or bark and splinters as well?
I'd be tempted to cut the bottom out of a manure sled, replace the floor with round bar, then run the splits uphill with the feeder chains. That should be enough noise to separate the wheat from chaff.

Might want to remove the beaters though.

Bill Saf

Quote from: OH logger on July 17, 2016, 01:33:31 PM

1. -does that get mostly all the gritty stuff out? (some kindling fine but the grit is a  no-no)
2.- would it be possible and what would i use if i wanted to make the slope much less but put some sort of a vibrator or shaker on it. i think that would work a lot better but might be a lot more egineering to build. im not coming up with any great ideas on what to use as a vibrator or skaker??

i could and would by a professional built tumbler if i won the lottery but that would mean i would have to get a ticket. they are just too expensive. i think this even without a shaker on it would be good enough for me and darn near maintnance free. any input would help a bunch   thanks

#1 is no on grit

#2 a trummel can be built not that hard 5-10 deg tilt bars at 2 1/2 centers 20 rpm. shaker you can use 4 coil springs or 4 leaf springs turned upside down with a frame and a off set weight on bearings. on the shaker the hard part is getting the off center wight and speed right I would think 230/300 rpm would be about right. I have built both for other things.

Bill

OH logger

Quote from: Bill Saf on July 18, 2016, 01:26:11 PM
Quote from: OH logger on July 17, 2016, 01:33:31 PM

#1 is no on grit

#2 a trummel can be built not that hard 5-10 deg tilt bars at 2 1/2 centers 20 rpm. shaker you can use 4 coil springs or 4 leaf springs turned upside down with a frame and a off set weight on bearings. on the shaker the hard part is getting the off center wight and speed right I would think 230/300 rpm would be about right. I have built both for other things.

Bill
can you post some pics of the shakers you've built? sorry for the delayed response. ive  just been busy. the grate on the rear of prosessor is 1.5 inches clear apaprt and they don t do much at all. i think we will put the rods on the grizzly maybe 4 inches on center then to get a 3 inch gap. maybe no shaker will be needeed even. i pile the wood on concrete and load with a  rock bucket so its decent allready. but as the wood dries it loosen bark and gets some gritty crap workin in there. the grit iss mostly what i want to get rid of. some bark and kindling is ok and needed. i deal with mostly counrty folks and small town people so they are not too pricky luckilily, but you do get a few turds in there. just tryin to make MOST happy :D thanks
john

Bill Saf

John I dont have any pics I had them on another computer and it crashed and lost all pics. But I will pm you with a site that you can see some home built trummels one has a shacker at the top they are set up for gravel I dont think the ff owner would like me posting some thing that has nothing to do with firewood.

Bill 

OH logger

john

OH logger

i sure hope the cleaner works. the guys that make most of my wood with their processor made a box style wedge. it makes good wood fast but it does make a lot of splinters and smaller junk. been gettin complaints from my regulars and they normally are very satisfied. hope the cleaner is done this week so i can set it up try it out and deliver the fall wood now. worked hard for 10 or 15 years to get a good name for myself in the firewood market and i hate to lose it this fast. keepin my fingers crossed for my home made one :-\. the price for a boughten on is mind boggling :o
john

Thank You Sponsors!