iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log order situation

Started by lynde37avery, January 30, 2014, 07:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynde37avery

so i have a bit of a family situation. one of my uncles put in a hemlock order for his small time saw mill, 12ft logs. 4,000 board ft, @ $250 per thousand ft" but my other uncle who i do all my logging business with "he buys wood lots and hires me to cut/skid, he also hauls logs with mack truck to the mill and sets up all our mill contracts etc" he has a too small a truck to load 12ft double lengths. it would only haul about 2,000 ft and take 2 trips. "about 40 miles round trip each delivery"  it would be my first order to him, and i would like to do more because he pays well.

i feel my uncle "boss" wouldnt want to do the order because the short truck. and it taking more than one delivery. "most trips to our regular mills we get 3600ft - 4,000 ft

what would anyone here do if they had this order they wanted to fill, and was trying to make all family/partys happy?
any suggestions or stories help.

Detroit WHAT?

Maine logger88

How come you can only get 2000 feet on if you double them you should be able to get around 4500 feet of 12ft logs doubled? And if that's the case I'd pay him a little more on that particular haul
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

lynde37avery

he cant double 12 foot on the truck. the bunks are only 16ft, plus 3 or 4 feet in front of the front bunk behind cab. and he can only double 10'/10' or 8'/8' or 10'/8'  and 12'/8' but not 12'/12'
Detroit WHAT?

Maine logger88

O sorry I just reread now I see you can't fit 2 tier of 12s oops ::)

Maine logger88

Ya that's a tough one I no what your talking about dealing with family it is the best but can be hard in certain situations my father and grandfather haul all my wood and we get along great but can be hard when in a situation like your in now

lynde37avery

yea, its frusterating just sitting here thinking about it. im going to go see the boss in a minit and go over it with him. its a big order. if we split it 50/50 its $500 a piece. not a bad pay day.
i hope to do more orders for the one who owns the small sawmill. hes a really nice guy, and pays well. and my father is his best friend.
Detroit WHAT?

240b

maybe everyone would eat alittle of the extra cost?  I won't do business with family.  last time i did it was below cost for me and they still thought i made too much..   

Maine logger88

Yeh that's the best thing to do talk it over with him and come to an agreement

CSeal

Have you considered cutting about half of the load 24' long and load those on the bottom and finish the top with twelve footers? You could cut the long ones in half after you unload.

thenorthman

why not just use a heavy flat bed trailer load the logs with the self loader, deliver them after the day is over, may take a couple of trips, but I imagine you could get 2k on a stout trailer maybe more?  And you could pull it with a 3/4 ton truck.
well that didn't work

smwwoody

24 footers seem like the way to go
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

lynde37avery

we talked it over last night. its all pretty well figured out now.
some thing i missed from the conversation with my other uncle "sawmill owner" we should be able to cut some 8 foot logs too, being that he would like 16' logs that he cuts in half after or before sawing for 8'. so we can double 8/12 on the mack. it will still be two trips but more logs and more $
Detroit WHAT?

Maine logger88

Glad to hear you got it all settled!

Thank You Sponsors!