iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ripping chain....

Started by mrcaptainbob, May 06, 2011, 12:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrcaptainbob

So I'm looking at the magazine for chainsaw stuff and see that ripping chain is offered with a 10* top plate angle and a 75* side angle. I'm confused on that side angle. Is that angle from vertical (parallel to blade side) or horizontal  (perpendicular to the blade side)?

HolmenTree

Quote from: mrcaptainbob on May 06, 2011, 12:04:40 AM
So I'm looking at the magazine for chainsaw stuff and see that ripping chain is offered with a 10* top plate angle and a 75* side angle. I'm confused on that side angle. Is that angle from vertical (parallel to blade side) or horizontal  (perpendicular to the blade side)?

The side plate angle means the ammount of "hook"in the cutters sideplate.
I think what you mean by bladeside is the horizontal line from the toe to heel of the cutter when looking at the cutter from the side. A verticle line in the middle of the blade side line would be a 90 degree right angle. Now tilt that verticle line ahead towards the depth gauge [raker] to where you have 75 degrees perpendicular to the horizontal bladeside line.

There now isn't that simple?? :D

Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

mrcaptainbob

Thanks, Holmen Tree. Your description worked. (Good thing I had a visual from a site FF sent me to!  :D)

mrcaptainbob

Went to my usual local Stihl dealer and talked with him about my project. He suggested a a full skip, full chisel. Claimed it would be much easier on the 310. But he didn't have any. Went to another local hardware and they had a chisel rip from Oregon. Although it's not a skip tooth, I'll try it anyway and just monitor effort so as not to tax the saw too much.

John Mc

Note that 10˚ top plate angle is just to help end up with a smoother cut than you would get with the "standard" (25˚-35˚ angle). If you are planing the wood after ripping, that 10˚ angle may not make any difference to you. It does not make it any "easier" on the saw - in fact, the standard top plate angle may actually rip a bit faster.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!