iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tomato stakes?

Started by woodhick, December 10, 2007, 01:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodhick

Anyone out there cutting garden stakes used for staking up tomato plants?  I was considering cutting some for this coming spring.  What is the going rate in your area?  I was thinking about 1"x 1 1/2" x 6' long, Oak.  Is this a money maker or a time buster?  Thanks.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Furby

For the life of me I can't figure out why you'd want to waste good lumber and time cutting tomato stakes, when you can simply grow them like they do down South. ;)
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=24747.0

farmerdoug

The problem is Furby that it takes to long to grow them stakes from seed up here in Michigan so they have to saw them as in the old days. 

I am interested to find out if anyone here on the forum is sawing stakes too.  Price, size and wood species?

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

pineywoods

Quote from: farmerdoug on December 12, 2007, 07:45:31 AM
The problem is Furby that it takes to long to grow them stakes from seed up here in Michigan so they have to saw them as in the old days. 

I am interested to find out if anyone here on the forum is sawing stakes too.  Price, size and wood species?

Farmerdoug

Some years I cut a few, but I give them away. When I edge on the mill, I cut in 1 inch increments, so the material is esentially free. Give them to the neighbors and they bring me  tomatoes and free LOGS. Good swap ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Weekend_Sawyer

I cut a bunch of 1x1s out of white oak. I use them for stickers, stakes whatever. When they warp or break they are kindling. Good for tree tube stakes too. We have also cut them out of locust.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

woodhick

I would give them to family and friends.  I am talking about selling them to some home centers or garden stores.  Not sure if it's a viable market.  I have followed most posts on grade stakes and this is not much different.  Just trying to use up some low grade logs and make payments.  Don't get enough custom sawing to keep saw going full time.  Now I do have plenty of other things to do on my days off, but most cost money instead of making money.  I do keep busy in  the shop building furniture and that is picking up so may not need to or have time to cut stakes.  The job I'm cutting now is going ot have several oak logs left over that owner told me I could have.  I hav'nt had mcuh luck selling green lumber here lately.  Market comes and goes.  Will probably cut into 4/4 lumber or fencing material and stack and wait.  I can always resaw to stakes if needed. 
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Larry

When I first bought my mill sawing tobacco sticks was easy money and I thought quite lucrative.  After a few years the tobacco base was cut back so far I couldn't give away a stick...much less sell one.

Guess the moral of the story is find out if you have a local market before you start sawing them.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WH_Conley

I saw a few tomato stakes. Give away a lot of 1x bean poles and tomato stakes, usually poplar, only last a couple years, if the neighbors bring me some garden stuff when they need more they just come and get them, nothing comes my way, they cost money next time. ;D

Do sell a few to a couple of greenhouses and garden centers, oak 1.5x1.5, price comes out to about a dollar a bdft, not getting rich because of the extra handling, but it works up excess lumber in the winter when it is nasty outside.
Bill

Brad_S.

Quote from: woodhick on December 12, 2007, 12:43:42 PM
  Just trying to use up some low grade logs
My very short attempt at stake making taught me the sad fact about this statement: It takes decent logs and good lumber to make stakes. A tall, thin stake like a tomato stake needs to be knot free or it can't take the pounding in or hold the weight of a mature tomato plant.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Furby

I see stakes for sale at some of my customers.
The profit margine for sawyers seems small for what I've seen them selling for.
Lots of them are basicly oak stickers 1x1 or so.
Some are extramly low grade and not cut evenly or square.
Most are pretty warpped.

Some places carry a higher end stake that is planned and the prices aren't that much higher compared to the amout of work I know goes into something like that.

woodmills1

If you plan on selling there is always the need to put some kind of point on the stake.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

jon12345

I think edgings would be a great place to look for tomato stakes  ???   
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

spencerhenry

i had a guy contact me just yesterday about manufacuring stakes. 1x2x42 with a point. he says he pays 50 cents each now but is looking to find someone cheaper, like 40 cents. for me it makes no CENTS. but here labor is high, and fuel is higher, and logs arent free. anyone interested, he is looking for 3500 of them

SwampDonkey

Believe me I'm not against doing something like that, you just have to have the market and be in the right location I guess. Around here where I live most everyone is used to doing things themselves. Making tomato stakes or mowing lawns would be a 'going bust' operation in these parts.

I doubt you could even sell a potato barrel anymore and I live smack dab in the middle of potato fields. They must be hard to sell because all the barrel shops failed up or closed years ago around here. My father would take an old barrel that was 40 years old and fix it with some split ash for new hoops and cedar for bottoms. Old busted barrels beyond repair were stored away for spare parts on future repair work. Never throw anything away. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

4x4American

I am doing a bunch of tomater stakes for a customer out of chestnut white oak (quercus prinus) and wanted to know, is it a no-no to allow sapwood in a stake?
Boy, back in my day..

WV Sawmiller

Woodhick,

I've been selling a few. I cut mine same as my edgings at 1"X1" and 5' and 6' lengths. The 5' seem more popular. I don't do the fancy pencil point tips. I'll just cut 10 or 12 4/4 lumber and the edging/strips I cut in half with my circular saw set at an angle to give me about a 45 degree point on both halves. It is not a big money maker but salvage for some wood that would otherwise go to waste. Most of mine have been ash. I used the edgings off my other lumber or if the board is rough looking I'll just cut it into strips. I tie them into bundles of 1 dozen using old hay strings and sell them for $7.50/dz. Lowes has similar 5' X1"X1" poplar strips for $7.95 each. I think of them as salvage and advertising.

I tried selling some of my 2" edgings and they did not sell.  Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sealark37

Tomato stakes can be  a trap for the average sawyer.  You can saw them out of edgings, and give them to your friends and neighbors for free.  Good community relations.  Then, a customer comes along and wants you to saw him a hundred.  He is willing to pay half what he pays at the gardening center.  You saw up some good logs and fill the order.  The money looks good, but you have none to give away to the neighbors.   An order comes in for 1000, or more, at a good price for you.  You work for a week or more to fill the order, hiring your nephews and neighbor kids to help out, since this buyer wants them pointed and banded. When you deliver the order and get paid, you realize that you have just swapped your logs and labor for very little return.  Unless you have no other business to saw, look closely at tomato stakes before you accept any order you can't complete in an hour or two using scrap edgings.  Please don't ask how I know all this.     Regards, Clark   

YellowHammer

First, I've never tried the tomato stake thing, but around here it seems that it's almost a rite of passage, the standard "way to get rich" by everyone who buys a new sawmill.  Eventually, they all quit, for one reason or another.  There was only one guy who made it happen, in a pretty big way, but he skipped the homeowner sales and marketed himself directly to the many farm and garden shops, who sold reativly large quantities, although seasonally.  I remember him telling me that he paid his mill off with "mater stakes" but he had some vertebrae back issues and kind of gave it up.  He told me that I was missing out by not getting into the market, but I never had the urge. 
Anyway, I guess it's like everything else, if you do your research, set the price, turn the mill off, get in the truck, knock on doors and "sell before you saw" then you'll know what you are getting into. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

4x4American

Yeap I'm not advertising them but when I get asked I do em as a make work thing.  I make it worth my while, trust me.
Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

I sharpen mine with a broad axe. Chop, chop. Next!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ohio_Bill

I wholesale all of my stakes. We do a few thousand each year in the spring. I also sell silt fence stakes all year they are like tomato stakes only 36 inch long. Our stakes are 1 ¼ by 1 ¼ by what ever length and pencil point.

Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

kensfarm

Looks like some nice stakes Bill.. is that nylon or plastic strapping you're using? 

Ohio_Bill

Its called Heavy Duty Poly Cord .  Works well, I strap my slab bundles with it also .
Bill
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Dave Shepard on June 11, 2016, 08:09:18 PM
I sharpen mine with a broad axe. Chop, chop. Next!
That works too. I just make the one cut in a long strip and make 2 stakes. I don't think there is any real good way to make them that isn't pretty labor intensive unless you were making the on a huge scale with bigger equipment than most of us have.

I see them as a salvage operation and space filler when I don't have a higher paying job somewhere else.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

barbender

Quote from: Ohio_Bill on June 12, 2016, 09:13:17 AM
Its called Heavy Duty Poly Cord .  Works well, I strap my slab bundles with it also .

Bill, where do you get yours at? I've been using the 3/4" woven poly Kubinec strapping, but it seems like overkill to be honest. It's kind of expensive for bundling slabs with for me.
Too many irons in the fire

Ohio_Bill

I use ¾ inch   from Uline.   Yellow is 1475 lb and Orange is 2400 lb. I have used both. The Yellow is cheaper and seems to be fine for my application. I only put 1 strap on the slab bundles and they stay together.
Bill

rjwoelk

Ohio bill what make of sharpener do you have. How large a stake can you do ,
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Ohio_Bill

I bought the head from Lumberjack Tools, then homemade the frame and got the motor and switch from Grizzly Industrial. It will do 1 ¾ I think. We have it set up for 1 ¼.   Did over 10000 on the first set of knives.  I have less than $500 in the total cost.
Bill

barbender

Thanks Bill! ;)
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!