iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lucas mill update

Started by JV, May 16, 2012, 02:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JV

As some of you know, I recently purchased a Lucas 613 at auction on impulse.  My intentions are to buy a slabber attachment but after the quote I got for foam insulation for the new shop this morning, that will wait.  I think this mill will be a great addition to our WM LT-40.  I got a chance yesterday evening to set it up, not too hard for an old man.  I had some soft maple and sycamore logs left so I grabbed a rough soft maple log to make 2 x 2 stakes.  Once I got a rythm going it wasn't bad.  More exercise than the WM but I need it.  Preset the repeatable cut stop, slide the guage over, unlock the carriage and slide it over and start sawing.  A trip to the end of the log and back yields a 2 x 2.  Pretty quick once you get your mind straight.  Different set of calculations than the band mill.  I know if there are no pictures, it didn't happen, so here are a couple.

This is one using a Stihl 084 with a 60" bar and a 56" Alaskan mill.  I think I'll keep the Lucas.

All in all, I'm pretty stoked about the possibilities.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Ianab

Another option is to make up a bracket and bolt your Alaskan to the carriage of the Lucas...

Makes the Alaskan easier to use, and you can swap between swing-blade and chainsaw slabber in a couple of minutes, part way though a log.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

JV

Thanks, Ian.  Sometimes I look toward the end of a project and miss the alternatives.  It wouldn't be too hard to fab brackets.  Something I'll pencil out.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Peder McElroy

John I set up a bracket that rolls on my Lucas rails for my Alaksan mill. Check it out on my Photo gallery.
Peder

JV

Thanks Peder.  That is a slick and simple design.  Looks quick to mount and remove.  I like it.
John

sigidi

Hey John, great to see you have a Lucas mate  ;D

I did already reply to this thread with 4-5 paragraphs of stuff, but didn't realise my login had timed out so I lost it all  :o

I had a couple tips about setting up your log and your log supports to get more boards out of your log and also make 'milling' in general easier. I figure you probably worked them out while you where milling, so wont bother -reposting it, cos it was quite lengthy ;D

Great to see you with a Lucas mate
Always willing to help - Allan

JV

Well, some days I need all the help I can get.  Suggestions are always welcome.  The bunks were hurriedly put together out of power pole tops.  I need to make better wedges or something for chocks to keep the log from rolling before I saw anymore.  I did see a thread where some aluminum stops were made, I'll have to look at it.  It's definitely different from the WM.

One interesting thing was looking at the history of both companies and how they got started. 
John

sigidi

will re-do the post a bit later, gotta do to work ;)

Holmes

Sigigi it is always nice to hear how the more experienced sawyer does their work so please post your ideas.
   JV  I have the  same mill as you and have been happy with it. The first wood I cut on my mill was 2 6"x6" x6' for bunks to set the logs on. I put  a 1 1/2"x 8" notch about 4" from the end of the bunks to set the logs into. This has worked well for me . I do have a slabber also but I have not used it yet, maybe it will get used this summer.
Think like a farmer.

sigidi

DanG it, 3rd time I've tried doin it...

sigidi

try again...
if the butt of the log was moved about 2-3 inches to the right it would have lined up better and given around 10" wide face for boards, from the pic it looks like you had around 6" wide face at that point, over a days cutting it will add up to quite a bit of lost timber.

Also the log supports, i try to keep them out the way of the operator...

I've used a heap of different ways to 'hold' the log, but have now settled on notches cut into the log supports, bigger notch for the butt of the log and smaller for the head of the log.

I also like to load logs so the butt is further from the operator, this tends to give a slight angle to the rails and the head rolls toward the operator during the vertical cut, this means while i tail the last board out, the mill cuts the next vertical on its own.

Fingers crossed this works, it has been severely condensed now  ;D

WildDog

JV do your shoulders a favour and add a side winder, you won't look back. I don't think your model came pre bored for it but it's no hassle to drill the 2 holes
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

JV

sigidi-
Thanks for the tips.  It was a quick setup and I didn't pay as much attention as I should have, but will look closer next time.  Like I said before, any help will be welcomed.

WildDog-
I saw that in a video, sure looks like it would help a lot, especially on my old bones.  I see they also have an auxiliary handle that clamps on the swing lever so you don't have to reach over the push bar.  Bailey's the U.S. distributor has both in stock.  Both go on my wish list.
John

sigidi

JV, no problems mate.

you will see all my logs will get some attention from a can of spray paint...

when I set the log up, I slide the log so from butt to head, the vertical paint lines on the log are parrallel to the blade in vertical, then I line up the horizontal paint lines at each end with the level of the rails. So this way horizontally and vertically the blade runs parallel to the heart.

You can see in the pic, the 10x10 post I took out had the heart right in the middle of the post - this is the same at both ends of the log, cos I set the rails and the blade parallel to the log heart  ;)

and it isnt such a big difference on a model 6, but that sideshift winder makes it much easier and quicker to move the head across, and a necessity on my model 10!!. The large log handle isnt so crucial - unless of course all your logs are all 4' or bigger, I'd focus on the winder first ;)

keep up the goodwork  ;D

tburch

I know this is an old thread, but I think drawing the + sign on the ends of the log is a brilliant idea.  A lot easier than trying to measure height to the center of the log off a bunk that may or may not be near the end of the log, and also to have a constant point of reference for measuring to adjust for log taper.   I will start doing this, for certain. 

Thanks Allan!
Peterson 10" WPF with slabber. Cooks AC36 Diesel.
'94 Ford 4830 Diesel 2WD & FEL.  Norse 450 skid winch.  Logrite fetching arch.  Fransgard Forestry Grapple.

Thank You Sponsors!