iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do you sawmill strictly for the money or for the pleasure?

Started by DR_Buck, May 09, 2010, 01:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

I have wondered for some time just why some of you operate a sawmill.   I know some of you are fixed and some like me are portable.  Some are full-time sawyers, some also like me are part-time.  These questions can apply to all of you, even operators that don't own their own sawmill.

Why do I do it?

I initially got thinking about saw milling as a way to provide a source of lumber for around the farm.  The more I looked into it the more I realized it could be a good source of extra cash.   Even though my day job (not the farm) pays well, extra cash is always nice to have.  Especially when you find that new toy tool you just have to have.    I also thought it could provide a good source of supplemental income after retirement.   So six years ago, after some deep thinking and a lot of hours reading here on the Forestry Forum, I dropped the cash for a new Wood-Mizer LT40 hydraulic thinking I could make enough to pay it off by the time I reach retirement sometime after 2015.

Well I couldn't have been more wrong!  :o   Business exploded.  My plan to saw 1 or 2 weekends a month quickly became just about every weekend in all weather conditions.  I was raking in the bucks left and right.   8)   I soon found out that I needed some other equipment and a kiln would allow me to dry lumber to sell.    Saw milling soon began taking over all of my free time and other activities and I had to bring it under control.  So, I asked myself, why am I doing this?   Although it's nice to have, I don't really need the extra money.  Everything associated with that sawmill business is paid for.  Besides, this is supposed to be an after retirement business. So I began to back off, turning down jobs, and doing more milling at home for my projects.   I've gone as long as 5 months without milling for any paying customers.

As of now, I'm milling mostly at home.  I was surprised how many people can find a way to deliver their logs to me when I tell them I can only do it if they bring them to me.  I like having the extra cash, but bottom line is, I like running the sawmill.  :)
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

jdtuttle

I also bought my mill for retirement income to supplement my woodshop.
jim
Have a great day

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

red oaks lumber

i saw to supply my finish mill with wood. so for me i saw for the money which is also my full time job.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Tom

I didn't think it would be such a money maker. Why, I saved a lot of money my first year just because I didn't have the time to go out and spend it.   My customers kept asking for change and it soon became apparent that I wasn't carrying enough money.  The money I was saving by staying home from the baseball park, football field and fishing boat, soon fixed that problem though and, with judicious budgeting, I find that I now keep enough in my pocket to cover their asking cost for allowing me to saw their lumber.

Now that I'm retired and on a fixed income, that doesn't keep up with inflation,  I've been shopping for items made by those U.S. Citizens who don't make anything anymore.   The Service industry still seems the best place to rid myself of all that cash, before it can be taxed, but Dollar General Stores are fast becoming a competitor.  Why just the other day, a friend told me that he saw a bundle of firewood in there for just $5.  It was shrink wrapped, so it still may not be Made in the USA.  I got another recycle bucket from the city so that I can put my extra cash beside the road now, so the stores won't be a problem anymore.

I have a friend across town that doesn't get charged as much as I do to saw.  Just goes to show you how much difference there can be in even a small geographical area.  I'm going to study marketing in the Community College next year.  I studied Economics last year and it has really helped.  Those college boys are sure smart.   I hear that companies are going out of business right and left.  This little bit of preventive maintenance and study has kept me from going bankrupt like those that keep charging for their wares.  When will they ever learn? A fellow that studied marketing last year, told me that there are plans for taking the money and distributing it all over town for you. If that's true, I won't have to budget like I do now.  I can't wait to get into that college class.  I'm going to be so successful.  :)

Magicman

None of the answers really applied to me.  I enjoy sawing, but I wouldn't saw for free, except for charity.  I need the money, but not to survive.  It simply allows me to live more comfortably, stay ahead of inflation, and also travel.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gator gar

If the job comes along, I will saw it if we come to an agreement. Will I bow down and do it for next to nothing, like I mistakingly did years ago, when I had my LT40??? No I won't. I set my eyes on every job, before I quote a price. This standard rate a bft. is not for me. I learned alot back then on pricing a job. Now I just need to figure out the correct way to price lumber and come out ahead.

My mill is paid for. If I cut, fine. If I don't, then I'll probably be in a refinery somewhere making money pipefitting, or boilermaking. After tomorrow, i'm liable to be in Florida getting ready to do some oil spill clean-up, somewhere in the gulf.

I wish every job was perfect on the sawmill. Unfortuanately it isn't. I'm just at a place with my mill, that I don't have to take every job that comes along. I bought it to cut the lumber for my horse barn and what ever else I decide to build around here. After that, it is anyones guess.

Dave Shepard

None of the choices really fits what I do. I saw at work to supply our lumber needs, as well as a little custom work. We saw mostly to have control over the process, especially where the timbers for new frames and restoration pieces are concerned.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ARKANSAWYER

Sawmilling is really neat!  I bought a mill to saw lumber for our house and to build a barn for my Wife's ponies.  I have not put 10 boards on the house and my Wife's ponies are gone now and never a barn built.  This is a sad fact considering I have sawn close to 5 million bdft since I got started.  When I bought the mill I was put $20,000 in debt and worked a few days a week. Nine years later I work seven days a week with a min of 12 hours a day and some where around $300,000 in debt.  If I could saw more lumber I could make more money.  But to saw more lumber I need more logs.  To get more logs I need more money.  So most days I look like a dog chasing his tail and not getting any closer to catching it.  But on those days when I stop chasing my tail and the dizzyiness goes away so that I can walk a straight line I get to thinking that I am having a good time.  Then this thought crosses my mind that if I could saw more lumber I could make more money then all I see is tail just out of reach. ;D
ARKANSAWYER

Warren

Started out looking for a stress reliever from the office job.  Wanted someting that I could work on the farm, when the weather was good, and not worry about when it was raining. Make a little money on the side.   A friend had a dozen cherry logs he was wanting sawed.  Bought a slightly used LT15 just to see "if I would like sawing...."   Sawdust bug bit hard and deep...

Two years later, when I got fed up with the office job, tried full time sawing. Had a good time. Learned a lot. But didn't have the chutzpah and savvy some other folks here have.  Nearly went broke.  Learned some hard lessons.  Went back to an office job for primary income.

Six years after I started, still sawing on Saturdays, but using an LT40.  Still make a little money on the side.    But more so, have an 18 y.o. son and his friend who now know how to work when they want to earn money.  Made a several friends that I would not have made without the sawmill.  And still have a backup plan if the office job goes down the tubes as often happens these days...

Warren

LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

old joe

I bought my mill, an sw band mill, to on use some diseased syp on my ten acres.
Most of that is now siding on my barn, a new wellhouse and a guest house.  the mill is all manual, and its a real work-out.  AND I'm not getting any younger.  but I really enjoy
milling, and I'm so glad I saved my mill from the scrap yard!!  Maybe this year I can start setting up the circle mill I bought at the same time,
THE NEW YANKEE TIL A NEWER ONE ARRIVES THEN I\'LL BE THE OLD YANKEE

DeepWoods

In the past I have used my sawmill for personal projects.  But now that both my wife and I are unemployed after 30 years of service, I plan on trying to make some additional income from the mill in the near future.  I still have some personal projects to complete before sawing for hire, but I may have to put those on hold depending on our financial situation. 

Les
Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

Chuck White

"it's fun and I like the extra money" isn't exactly true in my case.

There's a difference between fun and enjoyable, but of course we all like the "extra money".

I find it relaxing to saw lumber.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sparky

I run a circular mill at an antique tractor show. The sawing is educational, historical (we power the mill with steam engines), and the lumber is used for construction projects in the pioneer village where the show is held each fall.

Sparky
I'tnl 2050 with Prentrice 110, Custom built 48" left-hand circular and 52" Bellsaw right-hand circular mills, Jonsered 2171, Stihl 084, and too many other chainsaws. John Deere 3020 and Oliver 1800 with FELs. 20" 4-sided planer and misc.

pineywoods

My operation is mostly a hobby but is kinda different. I'm a fixed operation, but I don't buy logs and I don't sell lumber. probably half of what I saw is my own stuff for my own use. Bring me your logs and I'll saw them upon halves or for cash. I saw when I feel like it. Otherwise, I point people to a commercial mill coupla miles up the road. I will haul donated logs for some worthwhile projects.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

WDH

I bought my mill to saw lumber to make furniture since it is hard to find hardwood lumber around here.  I sell some hardwood lumber on the side since people around here need some place that they can get it.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pnyberg

I bought the mill, and am now sawing part time, in a effort to position myself to establish a second career in semi-retirement down the road.  It won't pay what my current job does, but it doesn't have to.  Plus, it will keep me active, both physically and mentally, which I think is important. 

So, I don't run the mill strictly for the money, nor strictly for pleasure.  It's some of both.

--Peter
No longer milling

Mark K

I bought my mill mainly for extra income during mud season and slow periods in the woods. I enjoy taking a raw material and turning it into something that can be used. I've shipped enough logs over the years, it's nice to see whats inside once in a while. Nothing like opening up a curly maple or cherry log.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

captain_crunch

I got my bellsaw when older friend of mine said you and your boys need a saw mill ;D ;D So far I am my best customer. So far only cut enough 2X12X18 ft long for a friends trailer deck. The rest went for board fences and 28X60 ft mill shed ::) ::)
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

backwoods sawyer

I have been around sawmills since I was old enough to hold a rifle. Work in mills in Alaska, Idaho, Wyoming, and spent many years in a big production mill here in Oregon. Then I bought my own mill and do most of my milling as a portable operation. Recently a small local mill asked me to saw for them during the week on his Mighty Might and I run my LT-70 on the weekends.  Got to enjoy it to spend this much time doing it.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

customsawyer

I do it for a few different reasons, the main one that I l haven't heard here yet is the look on a customers face as they watch there logs become lumber.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

DR_Buck

Quote from: customsawyer on May 10, 2010, 04:47:15 AM
I do it for a few different reasons, the main one that I l haven't heard here yet is the look on a customers face as they watch there logs become lumber.

Jake,   That's part of  the pleasure/fun  of it.   Especially if it's one of those ugly logs.  ;D   
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

John Bartley

When I saw for "me" it's for the lumber I need and for fun - keeps me moving and thinking as I grow older.

When I saw for "you" it's for the money, and there's no way I'm going to give away my "me" time unless "you" make it worthwhile....

Every once in a long, long while I find a project for a "you" that is really worth doing at a discount (someone who is either genuinely disadvantaged or ....... something else beyond anybodies control), and then the discount is 100%.

that's it.

John
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

Stephen1

I started out by building the cabin, convinced the tax man that it was R&D for the business that the wife and I ran. I  then tried the alaskan mill, decided that wasn't for me. My business died and the little bit of money I had left in the business account i could 2 things with. 1-take it and pay tax on it or... 2 take and buy a small used mill.... R&D.  I now have been cutting for 2 years, have lumber piled all over my yard drying, each bundle is for a project , floor and ceiling for cabin, siding for shed, list goes on and on. people saw my mill and started bringing me logs to cut, and now they are buying the lumber that I had set aside for my projects. I now need a bigger mill, and more logs. I can retire in less than a year and my goal now is to get a bigger mill, and turn this into a small partime retirement business, I can work when I want,
Mine is an older manual mill, I really like to just go and cut the wood, for me it is a great stress reliever from my real job, i get lost out there in my shed, playing with my toys, and I have met some great people from here and those that drop in with thier logs.
Yesterday, i cut cedar logs I traded with a buddy for work i did for him, I am now cutting cedar for a sauna, slow, slow work, as the cedar logs are a little small, the mills slow, but it sure smells good.

Cheers,
Stephen
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Bro. Noble

We saw to market our trees.  Right now we are waiting for a better market :)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Thank You Sponsors!