iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

grit sighting

Started by red oaks lumber, November 23, 2012, 11:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red oaks lumber

yesterday morning i was reading the paper and enjoying a cup of coffee when my phone beeped with a text message.i glanced at the clock it was barely past 5 am, i opened the text which had a picture attached and staring right at me was this pile of off white stuff, following the picture was a description telling me that they were freshly cooked grits.
customsawyer(jake) was enjoying a plate full and thought he would share with this northern boy. :D so i must say that was my first sighting.
i was also informed the whd is the grit conoisseur ;D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Holmes

Now That Is Scarey. Wait until thecfarm sees this. He will want a ban on texting g__t pictures also... ;D
Think like a farmer.

Magicman

Sighting is the second best thing that you can do with a plate of bowl of grits.   musteat_1
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I thought people in Wisconsin put grits under their cheese.  say_what
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

I have my spam settings on g---s. No way it can get through that.  :D  All that I read was sighting,than I figured it out when you said a big pile of white sh stuff.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

We eat yellow grits.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

I was just trying to share some knowledge like we do on here. I just don't know much about anything but eating. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: customsawyer on November 24, 2012, 07:02:47 PM
I just don't know much about anything but eating. ;D

I think you spoke for a lot of us.  :D

Magicman

I could not have said it better.

LINK

Magicman

PatD says that you can not have Pecan Pie without grits.   :D

Mooseherder

That sucker got caught 4 times. :D

red oaks lumber

i had pecan pie over thanksgiving, i didnt see any grits on my table.
i watch paula deen the cooking show, i haven't seen her adding grits to any meal.
maybe she dosen't know the secret about grits? :D

tree-farmer

Got to share this,
A story teller name Gamble Rogers used to tell the tale of rural alchemist in Fla. who used to beach used coffee grounds and sell em on the road side to the northern tourists as grits, which is his words " goes a long way to explaning why most northerners don't give a Dang for southern cooking".
One of his many great stories.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Holmes

Quote from: thecfarm on November 23, 2012, 08:36:02 PM
I have my spam settings on g---s. No way it can get through that.  :D  [/s] stuff.
Lets ask the experts, Southerners.  :D  How are Spam and grits?   :(
Think like a farmer.

thecfarm

A true Northern would not be in the South.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Grits makes you crazy, and do stuff like posting sucker videos. ;) ;)

Quote from: thecfarm on November 25, 2012, 10:30:08 AM
A true Northern would not be in the South.  :D

I wholeheartedly disagree.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jeff on November 25, 2012, 10:50:03 AM
Grits makes you crazy, and do stuff like posting sucker videos. ;) ;)

:D :D :D :D :D Magic.....you've just been TOASTED!  :D :D :D :D :D

Magicman

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 25, 2012, 10:51:22 AM
Magic.....you've just been TOASTED!

Not yet.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-FOto95PTc
Because "Northern Suckers" don't know grit about Grits.

CHARLIE

I attribute all my intelligence and good looks to consuming copius amounts of grits throughout my lifetime.  ;D  Grits is easy to fix too.  Magicman, a couple of things about that video on making grits. Never in my life have I made grits where I measured grits with a tablespoon. I measure it with a cup.  :)  I only add salt to the water and never butter.  I put the butter on after I dish it on the plate. Sometimes I don't use butter and will put gravy on it.  One thing that irritates me are the restaurants in the South that can't cook grits. They don't seem to know how to put salt in when they are cooking them.  I figure they must be transplanted cooks from the north.  Grits should be cooked so you can eat them with a fork. If you have to use a spoon, then too much water was used or they weren't cooked enough. If Yanks would eat more grits, they'd see a huge improvement in their attitude.......even in the cold winter months. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Magicman

Plus they would even look better.  Yup, I saw several things in the video that is not the way that PatD does it, but then everyone does not know how to catch Northern Redhorse Suckers.   :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Magic, that's exactly how we fix them.  :)

red oaks lumber

ok now there is 2 things that i dont understand.
1) eating grits
2) catching red horse suckers
next you all will start talkin good reciepes for fresh carp :D

Magicman

OK:

1)   I know cooking and eating Grits.
2)   I know nothing about Northern Redhorse Suckers.  That was a "Saturday night" thing.   :)
3)   You mention carp.  I know eating Lake Michigan Whitefish, which is of the carp family, and very good eating.  Whitefish

Nomad

i'm fond of G.R.I.T.S.  I tried grits once about 30 years ago.  I tried boiled peanuts about the same time.  I thought somebody lost a bucketful of sawdust with the grits, and I figured boiling peanuts was a waste of good peanuts.
     I only tried grits one other time, a few years later.  I judged that sawdust must not go stale 'cuz it had to come from the same Dang bucket.
     I get talked into eating a boiled peanut every couple of years, just to see if they've gotten any better.  They ain't.
     HOWEVER...  With y'all talking so much about how great grits are, I figure I might just be suthified enough by now to be able to eat 'em.  When I get home later this week I'm gonna make up a batch.  If you see a post from me about next weekend that ends up in the woodshed, it'll be all y'alls' fault!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

isawlogs

Magig,
I don't beleive that Lake Whitefish are of the carp family. Not that it matters much but they are of the Salmonidae family. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_whitefish They are about one of the best eating fish one can find, well to me. If it is on the menue it will be in my plate.  ;D Actualy I had some with Tom and Lou when we visited the cabin and Tom was happy with his meal, that aint saying much cause I aint ever seen a meal Mr Tom did not appreciate.  :D
  Now about them G.R.I.T.S. ....  I asked my mother if she ever served corn in any form with pie and all's I got for an answer is " What kind of drugs them doctors have you on?  :o " I take it that that was a no.  ::) 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!