iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Critters Chewing Holes in Fuel Hose

Started by wfcjr, May 26, 2020, 04:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfcjr

We have a 400 gal diesel tank that we use for the tractor, dozer & other equipment.
However, porcupines or some other four legged suspects have been chewing holes in the fuel pump hose.  Have replaced the hose 4 time now.  Is anyone aware of any options for bite proof hoses, steel braided shell or anything else?

Thanks.

BargeMonkey

Have a shop crimp 3/4 pipe ends on a 3/4 4wire hydraulic hose and just attach a grounding wire ? Being diesel the grounding wires even optional. 

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Corley5

An old boy left his loader truck on a job up here for a while.  When he went to get it a few weeks later the porkies had eaten all the radiator/heater hoses, fan belts, rubber brake lines, all the rubber coatings from the hydraulic hoses and got pretty deep into the tires.  They even ate the wiper blades.  The truck never ran again.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

I swear them critters don't have any taste buds.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

YellowHammer

You might try to buy a metal fuel hose cabinet, and store the fuel hose on a reel in the cabinet.  It may also keep out the two legged varmints.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

tule peak timber

I buy bulk hot peppers, soak them in 50-50 water /alcohol and keep a vat going in the refer. As the mix settles, I strain the liquid off the top and put it in a clearly marked spray bottle. I wash down the engine spaces and suspensions of all of my equipment and cars and trucks occasionally and this seems to work tickety-boo.
  On my ranch the packrats are SUPER destructive and if let alone will destroy all wiring where ever they can find it. I promote owl /raptor nesting and am careful to steer around all of our big native snakes and there is much evidence that this also helps . An on going battle.......................................

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Walnut Beast

Pretty interesting and that's pretty cool

snowstorm

the ford tec a rod on you tube had almost new van to work on. the critters had eaten most of the engine wiring harness. he said the tape is soy based and thats why they like it so

tule peak timber

Right about the soy base.
  Honda sells an electrical tape wrap with capsaicin ,but it is very expensive.I have spent a fortune on wire harness repair in the past. It is just part of living in the country :)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

mike_belben

Its usually redneck former owners thatve jacked up the wiring on anything i own!
Praise The Lord

Wudman

Quote from: tule peak timber on May 27, 2020, 07:46:44 PM
I buy bulk hot peppers, soak them in 50-50 water /alcohol and keep a vat going in the refer. As the mix settles, I strain the liquid off the top and put it in a clearly marked spray bottle. I wash down the engine spaces and suspensions of all of my equipment and cars and trucks occasionally and this seems to work tickety-boo.
 On my ranch the packrats are SUPER destructive and if let alone will destroy all wiring where ever they can find it. I promote owl /raptor nesting and am careful to steer around all of our big native snakes and there is much evidence that this also helps . An on going battle.......................................   
One of my neighbors was growing hot peppers to be used as rodent repellent in cellulose insulation.  I'm not sure what variety they were, but the migrant laborers were wearing rubber gloves to pick them.  If a Latino gentleman can't handle them, I don't want anything to do with 'em.
Gray squirrels give us the problem here.  I'm aware of a number of vehicles that had to be rewired and re-plumbed.
Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

doc henderson

the squirrels ate a corner off my black plastic fuel tank.  Our German Shepard is good at getting the pack rats!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!