iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting Maple burl

Started by billyO, April 04, 2017, 11:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billyO

Hello all.  Last winter I cut down a maple on my property that had a large root burl on it with plans on processing it into blocks for knife handles.  I wasn't able to get to the burl until late spring/early summer and when I did get to cutting the burl off the roots I had to trim off a bunch of new shoots all around the burl where the tree was starting to regrow.  I'm wondering: did the new shoots added to the colors/quality of the burl when I finally cut it up into the blocks? Before cutting them up into blocks, I laid them on the ground and covered them with sawdust for ~4 months and got some nice spalting as well ;D.

The reason for my question is that I have another, larger burl on another maple that I'd like to harvest and am wondering if I should cut the tree down now and try to replicate the new growth, or if that didn't really add anything to the burl.  I don't really have the time right now to take down the tree, but will make the time if it's a good idea to do what I did before.

Thanks
~billyO

Thank You Sponsors!