iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finishing Cherry Baseboard

Started by Norm, March 28, 2004, 07:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

I'm finally getting around to putting down baseboard for our house. I'm using 6" cherry.

I want to rip them on the wm so the top has blade marks left on it. The face is lightly sanded after running through the planer. Does anyone have some ideas for what kind of finish to use on it? The floor is a satin finish so something to match it maybe?

beenthere

Norm
I would use a Watco Danish Oil (natural) finish on the cherry. It is easy to apply, and to maintain.  Just an option.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

old3dogg

Can a clear coat it?
That stuff is way to pretty to cover up its natural beauty.
Just my thought.

Larry

Watco is a great finish.  I use either it or my similar home brew which is Valspar satin poly, boiled linseed oil, and mineral spirits.  Either one is easy to apply just as BT said.  I like three coats which become very time consuming.  Don't know how well it would wipe out of the bandsawn surface though.

If you can spray, an alternative would be satin lacquer.  I use it on house trim just because it is so much faster.  You can put three coats on several thousand feet of trim in half a day and be done.  Lacquer dries almost as fast as you put it down so you don't have the dust problem that you will have with slower drying finish's like varnish or poly.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

shopteacher

Norm,
   I've been using a product from General finishes called Armor-R- Seal. The third year class uses this on their 11 panel cabinet and it comes out beautiful. A little pricy, I think about 38.00 a gallon on the last bid. Here's a link to their site. Click on sealacell to read and see this product. They make a great product.
http://generalfinishes.com/
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Norm

Thanks for the help folks, I've used watco danish oil and like it real well.

Thanks for the link teach, they also have the food safe finish that I've been looking for. Going to make me a black locust cutting board and need to buy me some.

smwwoody

If you are going to use that cutting board I wouldn't put anything on it except cooking oil.

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Ga_Boy

Woody,

Won't cooking oil go rancid?

I've always heard that mineral oil should be used for cutting boards.

Ga Boy
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Brian_Bailey

A real good finish for cutting boards is: mineral oil and parafin wax.

In a double boiler, heat up the mineral oil and add some wax. I use a pint of oil and 1/4 bar of canning wax, more or less.
Stir the mixture until the wax has melted, don't make it to hot as you'll be rubbing the mixture into the wood by hand.

Get all your cutting boards out and have at it.
When done, just wipe/scrape off the excess and your good to go.
The finish will last a long time. Just renew it when the wood starts to look dried out.

Avoid using vegetable oils as they will turn rancid.

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

smwwoody

oops sory about that I knew it was some kind of oil.  
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Norm

Not to worry Woody I have used canola oil in the past, it won't turn rancid but doesn't seem to last very long. Thanks for the tip Brian I haven't heard of that method but it sounds great. Anyone have a suggestion for cutting board thickness? By the way I have not used black locust before, most people think it's good for fence posts and not much else. I ran some through the planer and it's a real nice looking wood. When I get enough 4/4 saved up I plan on making some flooring for the loft.

Brian_Bailey

Norm ,  

Locust flooring in a loft sounds like a good place to have a few black lights  :D :D.

Re: cutting board thickness.
5/4 makes a nice thickness for a larger board.

Here's a picture of two of my favorites.
One is for meats and the other is for veggies.  Both are made of hard maple and cherry.

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Thank You Sponsors!