iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Termite Extermination

Started by thiggy, February 24, 2009, 12:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thiggy

I have had some termite damage in my home.  The ground floor is 8" concrete block on concrete slab.  It is amazing how those little critters can make their way through tiny crevasse in the concrete.  As I make my repairs, I wish to treat against further termite activity.  I have about ¾ gal of 75% chlordane that I plan to use, and I need to know what dilution was used (back in the day) when applied around the foundation.  Any suggestions from folks who recall how it was used for termite protection would be appreciated.
Sow your wild oats on Saturday night.  Sunday morning pray for crop failure!

beenthere

I recall it was banned.  ::) ::)

Not true in da South?

Partly banned because it was used in excessive amounts.
Maybe the Forum won't support any comments on its use.  ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Fla._Deadheader

There's no Aluminum termite shield between the block wall and wooden sill ??
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Raider Bill

I use Termidor for exsisting issues.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Tom

There should be a termite shield of metal that protrudes at least one inch (many 3-5 inches) from the contact point of the house to the foundation.  Usually found on piers, the sheild keeps termites from easily entering the house.  It was always a rule of thumb that 18" above ground inhibitied termite entrance too. That is why old houses were built with over 18" of crawl space and shields on top of every pier.

Never allow wood to touch the house and the ground.  That includes leaning an old rake on the side of the house or stacking firewood against the house.  Termites will build a nest in the ground and use the wood as a pathway to the rest of the house.

There are modern chemicals with less threat of cancer, blood diseases, brain disorders, nerve damage and general environmental impact than the older chemicals.   If you treat with something like Chlordane, remember that you did, when you crawl under the house.  That stuff, like chlordane, lindane, etc. lasts practically forever and will get onto your skin and be readily absorbed 20 or 50 years from now

Thank You Sponsors!