iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Burls

Started by Brian Beauchamp, January 15, 2007, 01:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Beauchamp

What characteristics do you buyers look at when deciding how much they are worth to you? I have always been in the mindset that a defect reduces the value...and in most cases probably still does, but if doing a sale or TSI project for a landowner, I'd like to be able to market these for them as well. Any insight would be appreciated!

farmerdoug

Brain,

Good luck finding buyers.  You may find one but the guys on here have not had much luck.  Your best bet is to take them home and then cut them to size.  Some have sold some but most are disappointed in the return.  Ask Reid crosby how his sales went.  It is a market that you will have to locate.  Good luck.  Maybe you can work on the turners here for ideas on selling sources but it will probably be small sales and ocassional.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

turningfool

defects?  no such animal in a burl as far as woodturners go..defects are generally the part that makes the finished piece outstanding

SwampDonkey

In my experience with folks looking for burls, the only value is when it's turned into a work of art. I don't know anyone around here that buys burls, they get them for free and most often at there own expense while visiting with loggers on their operations or crown land permits, or crown leases on camp lots or sugar bushes even a thoughtful woodlot owner has been known to call up a wood turner with an offering of a burl gift. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Brian Beauchamp

Thank you all for the comments! If I can ever locate a good market, I may try to do this for my landowners, but I guess for now, it is a 'no-go'. Thanks again, ya'll!

Thank You Sponsors!