iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hauling logs safely (and legally)

Started by Larry, November 24, 2010, 01:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Thinking about hauling about 1,000 BF or so of logs a couple of times a month.

Need a trailer so have been looking at the typical dual 7,000 pound axle goosenecks.  14,000 GVW.  My truck is 9,000 GVWR so I wouldn't need to worry about a CDL.

Would that combo do the job?  Also are wood stakes legal?  What is required to tie down the logs?   
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Bobus2003

What the Truck and trailer weigh? Since you have a GCVWR of 23K (14+9=23) You will have to subtract the weight of the truck & trailer to know how much weight you can actually put on the trailer. If the Wood (Lumber) you are hauling is for personal use, not for profit, you can actually get away with useing a 20K lbs GVWR trailer and not have to worry about a CDL (Atleast in SD thats how it was explained to me)

As for Stakes.. I have used Wood stakes many times and Never had a thing said too me.. Though it will depend on the officer..

Chains/straps.. I go 1 every 4-6 feet depending on the length of the wood i'm hauling (6' posts, i use a chain at each end of the post, about a foot in from the ends, 16' Logs, I use 3 chains, 1 At each end and one across the middle, so far no issues)

Larry

Truck weighs 6,300 pounds and I think most, of the size trailers I'm looking at weigh 4,500 pounds.  I suppose that means I could haul 12,000 pounds which is probably 4,000 pounds more than I intend to haul.

Some of the coffee shop truckers say the 20,000 pound trailers attract DOT.  That's the only reason I'm thinking about a 14,000 GVWR trailer. 

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

Gary_C

Here are the USDOT tiedown regulations.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/truck/vehicle/cs-policy.htm

These rules have pretty much been adopted by all states so they apply to all interstate and intrastate commerce and most likely will be enforced for anyone hauling logs. But check your local state regulations to be sure.

And you can never be sure if some local inspector will apply then to you even if you claim non commercial. You can almost guarantee they will apply them to you if you do not look like you are following the rules and are safe.

Quote from: Larry on November 24, 2010, 03:15:22 PM
Some of the coffee shop truckers say the 20,000 pound trailers attract DOT.  That's the only reason I'm thinking about a 14,000 GVWR trailer. 

Always get the heaviest rated trailer you can afford. While it is true that a 20,000 lb trailer will attract the DOT's attention, it can also earn their respect if it is more than what looks like is needed for the load you are hauling. Plus tires are your biggest concern and those car type tires on the lower rated trailers can be a problem when hauling close to rated loads. And you are far better to be under your max load than when you are overloaded when you find that big log you just have to have.

And loading and unloading logs can be really hard on trailers, especially the lighter trailers.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

deghan036

Metavic mfg makes a log trailer/loader called the wheeler. It comes in three sizes called the compact,jounior and the senior. if you have a one ton truck these are great i have the jounior and i only have a class c licence and loaded i am stil under cdl
69 jd440a, Jonsered 2165, Husqvarna 346xp, the wheeler junior, log trailer,04 GMC 2500HD

J_T

Your truck had duels ?? Could use steel stakes painted safety yellow  :D Buddy of mine used those 4'' yellow straps kept them looking new he put three on every thing .  ;D

Said it was a matter of perception never got stopped . If it looks great it must be  8) 8)

I don't like wood stakes for logs , they might work but if the load were to shift even loading or unloading .
Jim Holloway

Ironwood

Federal regs should say any trailer over 10k needs a minimum DOT med card, triangles, extinguisher, dot# UNLESS an RV, legally that is the only exception. Minimum three straps hop to ten feet, them I think every four feet beyond. Standards (stakes) must be "captive" via bolt, pin, or permanent. You can look for loop holes, bit if your caught, good luck fighting it . 

Ditto on making it "look" good, clean truck painted rims, good clean straps and all that. I usually use chains backed up with straps. Chains must now be stamped grade 70, and don't be surprised if they get out calipers looking for stretched chains, and make sure there are no visible evidence of damage (ie, ground off a little) from the road one day,

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

mainiac

Ironwood- Are you saying that you are required to have a CDL to haul a trailer over 10k? I can not find in the regs where I would need a DOT med card with just my regular drivers license.
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Ironwood on November 24, 2010, 06:45:23 PMStandards (stakes) must be "captive" via bolt, pin, or permanent.

Could you provide a link to where this is written?

I see dozens of trucks unload at the mill everyday and the stakes are only held in by gravity....

treefarmer87

to be on the safe side i would use metal pins
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Gary_C

Here are the specific rules for transporting logs. The rule for fastening stakes is in bold type.

Specific Securement Requirements by Commodity Type
393.116 What are the rules for securing logs?

(a) Applicability. The rules in this section are applicable to the transportation of logs with the following exceptions:
(1) Logs that are unitized by banding or other comparable means may be transported in accordance with the general cargo securement rules of 393.100 through 393.114.
(2) Loads that consist of no more than four processed logs may be transported in accordance with the general cargo securement rules of 393.100 through 393.114.
(3) Firewood, stumps, log debris and other such short logs must be transported in a vehicle or container enclosed on both sides, front, and rear and of adequate strength to contain them. Longer logs may also be so loaded.

(b) Components of a securement system.
(1) Logs must be transported on a vehicle designed and built, or adapted, for the transportation of logs. Any such vehicle must be fitted with bunks, bolsters, stakes or standards, or other equivalent means, that cradle the logs and prevent them from rolling.
(2) All vehicle components involved in securement of logs must be designed and built to withstand all anticipated operational forces without failure, accidental release or permanent deformation. Stakes or standards that are not permanently attached to the vehicle must be secured in a manner that prevents unintentional separation from the vehicle in transit. (3) Tiedowns must be used in combination with the stabilization provided by bunks, stakes and bolsters to secure the load.

Use of securement system.
(1) Logs must be solidly packed, and the outer bottom logs must be in contact with and resting solidly against the bunks, bolsters, stakes or standards.
(2) Each outside log on the side of a stack of logs must touch at least two stakes, bunks, bolsters, or standards. If one end does not actually touch a stake, it must rest on other logs in a stable manner and must extend beyond the stake, bunk, bolster or standard.
(3) The center of the highest outside log on each side or end must be below the top of each stake, bunk or standard.
(4) Each log that is not held in place by contact with other logs or the stakes, bunks, or standards must be held in place by a tiedown. Additional tiedowns or securement devices must be used when the condition of the wood results in such low friction between logs that they are likely to slip upon each other.

(d) Securement of shortwood logs loaded crosswise on frame, rail and flatbed vehicles. In addition to the requirements of paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section, each stack of logs loaded crosswise must meet the following rules:
(1) In no case may the end of a log in the lower tier extend more than one-third of the log's total length beyond the nearest supporting structure on the vehicle.
(2) When only one stack of shortwood is loaded crosswise, it must be secured with at least two tiedowns. The tiedowns must attach to the vehicle frame at the front and rear of the load, and must cross the load in this direction.
(3) When two tiedowns are used, they must be positioned at approximately one-third and two-thirds of the length of the logs.
(4) A vehicle that is more than 10 meters (33 feet) long must be equipped with center stakes, or comparable devices, to divide it into sections approximately equal in length. Where a vehicle is so divided, each tiedown must secure the highest log on each side of the center stake, and must be fastened below these logs. It may be fixed at each end and tensioned from the middle, or fixed in the middle and tensioned from each end, or it may pass through a pulley or equivalent device in the middle and be tensioned from one end.
(5) Any structure or stake that is subjected to an upward force when the tiedowns are tensioned must be anchored to resist that force.
(6) If two stacks of shortwood are loaded side-by-side, in addition to meeting the requirements of paragraphs (d)(1) through (d)(5) of this section, they must be loaded so that:
(i) There is no space between the two stacks of logs;
(ii) The outside of each stack is raised at least 2.5 cm (1 in) within 10 cm (4 in) of the end of the logs or the side of the vehicle;
(iii) The highest log is no more than 2.44 m (8 ft) above the deck; and
(iv) At least one tiedown is used lengthwise across each stack of logs.

(e) Securement of logs loaded lengthwise on flatbed and frame vehicles. In addition to meeting the requirements of paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section, each stack of shortwood loaded lengthwise on a frame vehicle or on a flatbed must be secured to the vehicle by at least two tiedowns.

(f ) Securement of logs transported on pole trailers.
(1) The load must be secured by at least one tiedown at each bunk, or alternatively, by at least two tiedowns used as wrappers that encircle the entire load at locations along the load that provide effective securement.
(2) The front and rear wrappers must be at least 3.04 meters (10 feet) apart.
(3) Large diameter single and double log loads must be immobilized with chock blocks or other equivalent means to prevent shifting.
(4) Large diameter logs that rise above bunks must be secured to the underlying load with at least two additional wrappers.

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

chevytaHOE5674

Interesting I guess most of the Michigan trucks haul illegally then. The dot cops sit outside the mill and that's one thing I've never heard anybody getting ticketed for.

Bobus2003

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on November 25, 2010, 09:00:43 AM
Interesting I guess most of the Michigan trucks haul illegally then. The dot cops sit outside the mill and that's one thing I've never heard anybody getting ticketed for.

Alot of trucks around here run stakes that arn't bolted or affixed other than gravity and most are left alone till theres an accident

woodmills1

any trialer over 10k triggers the Dot federal rules as mentioned above weather the truck makes the combo over 26k

if the truck and trailer are together over 26k and the trailer is over 10k then a CDL is needed even if the truck is under 26k

trust me I paid for this info the hard way
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Banjo picker

I use my flatbed/dump/log truck...Guess I should smear a little paint on the ole boy...I have it tagged for 30 ,000 lbs...the last trip over the scales was a little over 33,000..I will back off a few sticks next time....

Hopefully this is ok..the last three times I tried to preview this I lost it into cyberspace or somewhere....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Ironwood

Sorry, been out of town, and sick I don't have the dot text, I must ask a TON of questions to the right people, and pay attention when answers are in agreement.

::)Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Banjo picker

Larry there is probably no way to be 100% legal...there are just too many regulations...I just got a letter from the Miss dot today wanting their little check for the 2011 year...If I let #'s go inactive and they catch me it would cost me a bunch more that the paltry amount they want ...what I begrudge is the hour or two it will take to fill out the form...I keep the MCS 150 pinned on the wall by the computer , much to my wife's dislike..just to make sure it stays current...It cost nothing except time to fill out...I got March 31 2011 circled as to the time to update....If I don't keep that stuff out where i can see it ,it goes delinquent....and you get nasty letters....

Thats just part of the problems of having larger trucks...and it don't have to be that large..if the Weight rating of a truck is 10,001 # or more it is a commerical veichle...Most of the duall wheel pickups fall into that...If you get the right cop you will put a dot # on a truck of that size...I don't like it but that's what the law is...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Larry

Picked up a gooseneck off craigslist this morning.  Other than paint it is in excellent condition.  Can of paint will get it looking new.

Been studying the link Gary posted.  I'll try to keep it both safe and legal. 

Thanks for all the useful tips and info.

Larry

I took to heart suggestions about making it look professional.  I have a mish mash of ratchet straps, chains, and boomers.  Figured it was time for something new.

Found this place US Cargo.  Bought five weld on ratchets along with the purty yellow 4" straps.  Sprung for some of the strap protectors also.  Should be plenty for my 25' trailer.  Price wasn't much more than what I paid for the 2" X 27' ratchet straps in the past.

paul case

get her painted yet? i am anxious to see a pic. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

treefarmer87

banjo picker,  thats a nice lookin log truck you got there
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

treefarmer87

heres how i did it, i throw on to heavy duty rachets and go on down the road

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Larry

Paul, probably be spring before I get it painted.  Got a few more mods to make...winch, and a pipe roller to go on the dovetail.

Ironwood

Started a new topic about distance between standards, thought it would be easier just to start a new one for future searches.
 Ironwood

Thank You Sponsors!