iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re-hanging some axes

Started by Rooster, June 11, 2014, 04:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rooster

So, I sort of have an axe addiction... and I  have slowly been collecting old axes and axe heads to restore and to use.  Here are some of the latest projects...and I also threw in a photo of my Autine Large Double-bitted Bearded Forest Axe.

Enjoy,  Rooster

"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

jargo432

Very nice.  Do you make your own handles?

Lately I've been collecting splitting mauls.  (new ones)  I've got an 8, 6.6, and 4.5 pounders.
Jack of all trades.

Autocar

Nice collection, it seems to me its hard to get good handles so I make mine out of Kentucky Coffeebean easy worked and so far holds up well.
Bill

Rooster

These handles are from House Handle Co. 

http://www.househandle.com/

If anyone decides to buy from there catalog on-line, I recommend that you ask for AA, hand picked (extra $2) and no varnish (extra $.50)  It well worth the extra money...

Peace, Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

Rooster

Magicman

I like that Autine axe.  John does beautiful work and yes, I do think that axes have beauty.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Rooster

Thanks MM...  It's a "one-off" custom made for notching logs for the hewing process.  It may become part of John's product line...but for now it's just one of a kind...

Rooster
Mike Rowe

Rooster

isawlogs

You have a nice looking collection Rooster, I'm also an axe man of sorts. I like to buy axes at auctions and make a handle for them and then pass them on for a second life.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Rooster

Isawlogs,

It's a good kind of addiction...I think axes are making a come-back!! 8)

You could make the trip down to Illinois this summer and come to the Axe Meet...eh?

Peace, Rooster
Mike Rowe

Rooster

isawlogs

I'd love to make it, but this summer is so filled, we are moving and starting plans on a new house addition.  Theres just not enough daylight to get it all done.

But ... ya can take pics for me.  ;)  Is there a meet every summer and when is the date ???  Next year we will be in a better situation, Renée has finaly finished and is now retired for real, we can plan a trip to see some country side some.  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Rooster

This is the first annual...and it's always on the first full weekend in Aug.
Mike Rowe

Rooster

stumpy

Ya know, my dad used to tell me he collected axes.  He said he was proud to have George Washington original axe. "Course the handle's been replaced six times and the head's been replaced three" ;D
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

SwampDonkey

I get a kick out of this fellow. I first stumbled across his video of an ancient Scandanavian loom he set up outside to weave rugs. There was some snow on the ground and he was dressed for the arctic. But here he is with an old broad axe. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tNy28ExfKg
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Don_Papenburg

Were will the event be located.   Will that be Aug 1&2?  I have plans to be in Grand Detour that weekend. If you are close it would be neat to make a side trip.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Magicman

August 1, 2015 is Pig Roast Day.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!