iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My F350 left me stranded.

Started by 21incher, April 11, 2015, 03:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

Well my 2005 Ford F350 with 30k miles finally let me down today. Went to home depot about 28 miles away to pick up 50 bags of mulch and some concrete mix this morning and wound up riding home on a car carrier. I just got the truck loaded and went to pull out when the gas pedal quit working. The truck would just idle and a light on the dash that looks like a wrench lit up. I thought a linkage may have come undone so I looked under the dash and found out it is all electronics with just a couple of wires attached to the pedal and nothing you can fix. I wiggled all the connections and unhooked the battery to reset the computer but still no gas pedal. I called my roadside assistance and told them to send out a truck capable of moving at least a 10,000 lb truck. Well I think my truck must have 10500 lbs with the load and the operator had to keep rocking the bed on the carrier and jiggling it up and down for about 20 minutes to finally get it up on the truck, and when he did get it up the back bumper on the carrier was just about dragging. Then when we got to the local Ford dealer the trailer hitch bar on my truck went straight into the dirt and made unloading a different story. The first time I have ever been stuck in my life with no way to fix the vehicle to make it home. The most exciting morning I have had in a long time and I didn't feel like mulching today anyway. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

pabst79

That's a bummer, hope its an inexpensive fix!
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

brendonv

Probably throttle positioning sensor. Tps.  Quick net search brings plenty of info
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

red oaks lumber

if thats the only time your ford leaves you carless walker your doing good :D my ford is part of my fitness plan ;D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

sandsawmill14

Quote from: red oaks lumber on April 11, 2015, 06:48:45 PM
if thats the only time your ford leaves you carless walker your doing good :D my ford is part of my fitness plan ;D
:D :D :D    happens to all of us sometimes I bought  new 1999 grand am for my wife and had to go get her 3 times before it had 20,000 miles on it >:( >:(
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

21incher

Quote from: pabst79 on April 11, 2015, 05:09:04 PM
That's a bummer, hope its an inexpensive fix!
I do also, but I doubt it. The good thing is I got roadside assistance when I switched insurance companies last year and they covered the $200.00 transport fee. It was funny when I called for assistance the woman was wondering why she could not locate my GPS info from my phone. Then I told her I had a dumb phone, then she wanted to text me some info and I told her I don't text. I must br falling behind the times.

Quote from: brendonv on April 11, 2015, 05:44:38 PM
Probably throttle positioning sensor. Tps.  Quick net search brings plenty of info
I am praying that it is not the computer because it was running perfect up to that point.

Quote from: red oaks lumber on April 11, 2015, 06:48:45 PM
I have been driving fords since 1990 and this is my first time stranded. Seems like the more electronics the more problems. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Den Socling

You told them to bring a HD rollback and they didn't? They are to blame.

drobertson

Had a friend who's IDM went out last month,  it would idle, but run like crap if throttled up, he had quite a few more miles on his, turned out half the engine was getting no voltage,, fixed and running after a tow to the dealer,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ford_man

I have an 01 and it does that a lot the first time it happened it made me mad and I kicked the peddle down hard and then it worked good. So now when it does it I just give it a kick and away I go. it's been doing that for 10 yr. Hope that is all you need to get going. 

yukon cornelius

I am with ya! my 78 f250 left me stranded twice lately. my cause turned out to be "a loose nut behind the wheel"

It goes like this. The fuel gauge didn't work so I always wrote down the mileage and would fill up about every 100 miles(19 gallon tank, roughly 10mpg leaves about 10 gallons in reserve) . the truck rarely goes anywhere and even more rarely farther than 10 miles when it does. one day I need logs so I start the truck and find a fuel leak where the belt had rubbed the hose and fix it. I go down the road 5 miles and get a heaping load of logs and on the way home it sputters and dies. I knew instantly it must have leaked the gas out and im out. I put some in and im on my way. when I get home I add more but not full so my log is off. about a week later I go for more logs and it quits on me again. now im certain it has enough gas so a guy tows me home. It has to be the pump. so I change the pump. nope. it HAS to be the pickup tube in the tank lot letting it suck air. BINGO!! it was suckin air because it was empty again. So embarrassing! But now I have a new fuel pump and the gauge works  ;D
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

sawguy21

:D :D You must have the 460. Don't you have two tanks?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

bigred1951

Quote from: yukon cornelius on April 12, 2015, 09:08:04 AM
I am with ya! my 78 f250 left me stranded twice lately. my cause turned out to be "a loose nut behind the wheel"

yukon one of these days when you get tired of the old truck just drop it off at the house ill take care of it for ya  ;D

Autocar

Sounds to me you have a ten amp fuse blown that controls your gas peddle. Check your book it may be a pretty easy fix.
Bill

21incher

Quote from: Autocar on April 12, 2015, 06:32:34 PM
Sounds to me you have a ten amp fuse blown that controls your gas peddle. Check your book it may be a pretty easy fix.
I hope so but I took a quick look at the fuses and I didn't see any that looked blown. I have also read that some have had a problem with a speed control wire shorting out and causing similar symptoms. Hopefully the dealer can fix it tomorrow. I think I will buy one of those scan tools to leave in the truck in the future. :)

3Dog

I hope you luck out better than I did with my 06 F350 diesel. I had a load of, how shall I say it.... several logs  on my deckover Id just picked up for a customer. I was just West of Madison driving thru a very hilly area.  I made a comment to the person riding along that I was impressed with how well the truck handled pulling such a load up the hills..... we crested the next hill and the tow haul  engaged the engine braking mode as we went down the hill. At the bottom of the hill I pressed the accelerator...as the truck silently coasted to a stop. You should have heard that rollback with my truck on back and my trailer behind it making its way up the hills.

Needless to say this was the 1st of my many expensive repairs to that crappy 6.0 Powerstroke.  I got peeved and now have a Chevy that I bought right after I found out that Ford knew the engines were bad before they put them in the trucks. 
2002 Woodmizer LT40DSuper Remote Accuset 2, 1952 Allis Chalmers CA, 2001 John Deere 240 skidsteer, Nyle L200, Ebac 800,  and a fulltime job.
Citywood Treecycling

yukon cornelius

Quote from: sawguy21 on April 12, 2015, 12:28:02 PM
:D :D You must have the 460. Don't you have two tanks?

its a 400. and yes it had 2 tanks but one leaked so I took it off. bigred, I will keep you in mind if I give it away  ;)

Those electronic throttles are generally easy to change out. I hope that's all it is.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

sandhills

I bought a '06 f250 last year, first one I've ever owned that I couldn't just write a check for, within a month I also owned a scanner that rides with me so I can keep it running.  Aren't vehicles fun  ::)

sawguy21

I ran out of gas driving an older Ford across Saskatchewan, I had changed tanks about 15 minutes before but the owner had neglected to tell me the switch didn't work. :'(
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

LaneC

I had an F150 years ago. it left me stranded in a bad way twice. Once shame on me, twice shame on it. I will never own another one. Evinrudes are the same way. I have had great luck with something other than the ones mentioned above. I know all things will eventually give you some problem, but when they tear up at a bad time, I have no use for them. A buddy of mine has A F2 or 350 and he said they have to take the whole cab of the truck off to repair the engine that he has spent at least 15k dollars on because of broken head bolts and other things. I could not afford those kind of break downs.
Man makes plans and God smiles

21incher

They finally got a mechanic on it this morning. Scanned the computer and all the error codes pointed to a bad throttle body. He removed the throttle body tested it and it is shot. A new one is on order and the total cost will be $550.00. So much for getting off easy.

LeeB

With today's vehicles, that is getting off easy. Just had new ball joints and injectors done on both of my Cummins diesels and few leaks sealed. Almost $9k for the both of them.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!