iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blades

Started by bratz, June 12, 2014, 11:23:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bratz

I run an LT35.I currently buy blades from Woodmizer. Just wondering if anybody has found a cheaper, just as good blade company to deal with?

Bogue Chitto

Hard to beat the quality of Wood Mizer blades. ;D

Joe Hillmann

I would suggest giving Cook's a call.  When I was looking for blades I found them to have lower blade prices and lower sharpening costs than Woodmizer.  I however can't say anything about their quality compared to Woodmizer since I only have one Woodmizer blade and I hit a nail with it.

Bruno of NH

I just recived 10 cooks super sharps have one on the mill now it cuts good .
But im new to milling .
When they start to cut hard i change it for sharp one .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

drobertson

Glad to see you up and sawing, did you get a box or two with the new mill? If not you might try and find a Kasco dealer.  Cook's  super sharps work well for me as well.  I like the way WMZ's saw, it just seems they break sooner than the others, this was some time ago, so things may have changed with them.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

barbender

WM has the resharp program for their blades, if you are using that then I think you will find their Doublehards the most economical. I have tried several manufacturers blades, the teeth on the doublehards are definitely harder (and tougher) than anything else I have used. I sharpen my own, and I use a lot of WM Silvertip blades. WM treats them kind of like a red headed step child, one use and throw away, but I find their quality to be as good or better than anything else I've tried. They don't hold an edge as long as the doublehards, but they may have more flex life. If I didn't have a sharpener, I'd go with the Doublehards and use the resharp program. You can read other posts about the frustration many have had trying to find a local sharpening service, WM Resharp has a good reputation, so does Cook's. Woodmizer has been pleasant enough to deal with I tend to keep coming back to them ;)
Too many irons in the fire

NMFP

The best blade to use is the one you can afford, afford to have sharpened and works well.  That being said, wm and kasco have (in my opinion) the best bands out there.

I am now sharpening over 500 bands per month as a part time adventure and wm and Kasco bands sharpen the best and I see many more of them running with more sharpenings than most other brands.  I compare the kasco bands to wm silvertip but I have no problem getting numerous sharpenings from them, depending on material sawn and run time, not to mention abuse.

I can fully understand the frustration of local sharpening services as I am constantly picking up new customers and straightening out messed up bands from local shops that simply do not know how to sharpen.  there's more to sharpening than just owning equipment.

I know of many of us that do sharpening on the side and do great work but I know way too many more that do sharpening work that is substandard.  Ask questions and allow them to show you their work before they sharpen your bands.  A reputable guy or service can tell you how they can help you with your sharpening needs, more than just talking price!

Magicman

First, Welcome to the Forestry Forum, bratz.  I have sawed with several different brands, but I find no reason to change from the WM DoubleHards.  I also use WM Resharp.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ladylake

I tried several brands, like Simonds as they cut straight and take a lot of sharpening's.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

All of the major brand bands are good it just some mills prefer one over the others. If you send out to be sharpened you hang with WM or Cooks unless you can find a local grinder that will do them justice. I service my own and prefer Suffolk Timberwolf bands, but I'am not putting the others down I've had good luck with them all. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bratz

Thanks for all the info. Sounds like I will stick with WM and the resharp program

Thank You Sponsors!