iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What critter could this be?

Started by Deese, August 23, 2016, 10:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deese

This little "nest" is being made on the side of a pine tree next to my sawmill. Some type of wasp?

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

DelawhereJoe

Looks like a potters wasp, kinda like a mud dauber.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

bluthum

I can't tell from the pics but is that structure a resin mass? If so it is probably a pine borer or beetle of one kind or another. How big is the hole?  Probably really bad news for the tree.

Deese

I'll have to take another look at it. I just noticed it the other day and quickly took a couple of pics.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Texas Ranger

Probably Black Turpentine Beetle, or one of the other bark beetles. If at the base and not very high up, the first, if they go up the stem a ways, one of the others.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Deese

Cooks AE4P Edger

DelawhereJoe

Break some off if it crumbles into dust like dry clay its gonna be a potters wasp.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Deese

It crumbles but I just took a closer look around and they are on multiple trees. This one is about head hugh, but several are near the base of the trees. The one in the pic is about the size of a dime.
Cooks AE4P Edger

WDH

Like TR said, it is a pitch tube from a black turpentine bark beetle. 

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsbdev2_043190.pdf

They can kill the tree.  You may very well lose those trees, but southern pine can survive a black turpentine beetle attack.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Deese

Thank you for the info. Wondering if they were introduced from all the pine I've been cutting. I've got slabs everywhere and they have been "clicking" with grubs under the bark for a long while. Now the "clicking" sound is gone and these are popping up on the surrounding trees.
Cooks AE4P Edger

WDH

The clicking sound is coming from ambrosia beetles and flat head borers.  They are secondary hosts after the tree has died or has been felled.  However, the slabs could very well have attracted the bark beetles.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!