iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small Saw

Started by 6sunset6, December 03, 2010, 08:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6sunset6

I have been lurking for a while and just joined.   SE NY  I use a Stihl 026 I have had for 20 years. Works well.   Mostly firewood now from culling.   I started doing volunteer work on the Appalachian Trail .  Going to have to backpack a saw from time to time.  Also have figured out that a small saw can cut a lot of firewood.  I am looking at a Stihl MS192.   Very light and big tanks. Also a very good dealer 20 min away.  Anybody have any experience with that saw?

Al_Smith

Probabley be okay .I can't say much about them other than some people on another site like them for tree work .Better than many perhaps ,not quite a 200 though .Not the price of a 200 either for that matter .Light duty stuff it should be fine .

jteneyck

I don't know anything about that saw, but I'm an avid long distance hiker and just wanted to say thanks to you and all volunteers who give their time to trail maintenance.  Try walking a few hundred yards off trail, or nearly any of that thing they call the Long (so called) Trail in VT, and many in the Adirondacks, to be fair, and you realize that your hiking enjoyment is directly proportional to the efforts of folks who maintain the trails.  Thank you. 

sawguy21

What Al says. It is a very lightweight saw, should be good for backpacking, but don't expect the performance of the MS00T.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ed

The ms192 is a good saw, mines 4 years old now, no problems, just routine maintiance. I also run ms200's, really no comparison, the 200 outcuts the 192 by a large margin.
The 192, is lighter, for you that would be a plus, if the ms200 is in your budget, buy it.

Ed

ladylake

The 192t is built cheap and gutless but it's only 30cc and is light. Keep a eye on the spark screen, they like to plug up on smaller Stihls.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

John Mc

For what he's doing, wouldn't he be better off with the rear handle versions of the MS192 or MS200, rather than a 192T or 200T? For trail maintenance on the AT, I don't imagine they are doing a lot of "climbing up in the tree" work where a top handle saw might be a benefit.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

ladylake

I hear the MS211 run good.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

6sunset6, Welcome to the Forestry Forum and Thank You for your volunteer work.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

miking

I like my Echo saws better than Stihls in every situation I've worked in except for the smallest saw class, where my 192  rear handle shines. Steve is right when he says the screen plugs up right away until you discard it altogether, and then clean out the muffler too while you're at it but all in all, it has handled everything I've needed to use it for within reason. I suppose the 200 would be better but as far as I see a need for it, it's way too much money. Like many homeowner stihls though, it doesn't pump bar oil as much as it should and there is no adjustment. I use it a lot but if it was sitting around a lot between uses, I would think a cheaper saw of any brand would be more practical because of the cost.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

6sunset6

Yikes   I looked at the 200.    What makes the price so high compared to the 192 or 211.   It's hard to tell from the web site.
Thanks for the comments on volunteering. 

Al_Smith

Well indeed a 200 is very costly and really not needed for the task at hand in this situation . It however is highly rated as a professional trimmers saw and as such Stihl can charge outragous prices for them .Many feel it's worth the price but some feel differently .Like anything else , a personal preference .

Bill Gaiche

ladylake, I agree. I have stated before that the 211 is a good little saw. Have had mine sense they hit the shops, about a year. bg

sablatnic

I wonder. I someone else would pay, I would go for the MS200, but now it is the MS192 or the MS211. I would probably take the 192, but the 211 is the new generation, that uses less fuel, so I wouldn't have to carry as much fuel. Tough one, that. Probably the 192.

ladylake

The 192 saws I've run were gutless even after throwing out the spark screen and tuning good. I've heard the MS211 has quite a bit more power that the MS200 it replaced which had more the the 192t. If you olny cutting up to 6 0r 8" wood the 192 will do it but not fast, I guess it doesn't matter if just used once in a while.   Steve

Dale Hatfield

Dont remove the spark cover. you will be working on state and fed lands. They must be in place and not altered.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

6sunset6

Good point   Thanks.   I am zeroing in on the Stihl 211.

DonT

As someone suggested,I would consider a rear handle model of saw.I run both Husky and stihl top handles off the ground,but switch to rear handled saws when  I hit the ground.just something to maybe consider before buying.

simplicityguy92

i bought a stihl ms250 this summer. it is light , cuts along time on a tank of fuel,  allways starts fist or second pull and cuts like big saw

Al_Smith

Quote from: simplicityguy92 on December 08, 2010, 12:24:38 AM
cuts like big saw

Perception is in the eye of the beholder . ;)

6sunset6

I stopped by the Stihl dealer yesterday.  I touched all of them.  Did not saw with any.  170, 180, 192, 200, 211.  The 192 is defiantly lighter  at $350.
The 211 is 2# heavier, 25% more power at $280.   The 200 is light and powerful   but $650.
Cheapest is the 180   at $200  low power and on the heavy end.
I guess if I threw out $$  I would get the 200.  Yikes.   I am sort of heading to the 192  rear handle.  I am going to put a 12" bar on it and as long as it cuts I am not as concerned about how fast.    My only concern is a comment made here that it is cheap and gutless.  The gutless part is ok,  go slower, but  I wonder how long it will last.    I asked the dealer what made the 200 so expensive.  He really did not know other than it was a "professional saw". It is hard for me to see that crankshafts, pistons, rings  etc are made cheaper in a cheaper saw.  Although there are chrome rings and cylinders.  They all have to run at the same speed.  Perhaps tighter manufacturing tolerances on high speed parts but that is such a small cost increment.  I can see parts made from titanium rather than steel for weight reduction.  That would drive the price up big time,  still not  providing longer life.
I am just curious about the 200.

Al_Smith

You have to first of all keep in mind that manufacturers do not need to "justify " prices . Pretty much whatever the traffic will bear sets the price .

miking

I do think that the term "gutless" is kind of harsh. You have to remember that it's a pruning saw and use it accordingly and not bear down on it. If you do bear down on it and think it is indeed gutless, then you should probably should have gone with the 200. Pruning = 192, bearing down = 200.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

Al_Smith

There's other brands of saws on the market than Stihl ya know . Fact is some that do just as well and cost a lot less .

You can't expect to relate every little saw to a 200 Stihl .We're talking a little souped up hot rod that quite frankly is out of most peoples price range .

terrifictimbersllc

Maybe think in terms of backpacking equipment, how much more one pays for strength and lack of weight, reliability and performance where you need your equipment to work well where you're going to be.  Not sure where you will come out with that suggestion but hoping it helps. 

If it were me I would be packing in my MS200T but that's me, I'm not recommending this to anyone else. I love this saw. If you ever use a saw with one hand remember where your other one is if you still have it.  ::) ::) ::)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!