iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

090G got it going

Started by Duane_Moore, December 06, 2003, 06:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duane_Moore

8) well thaks to ya guys, got the 090G up and going, now need a mill for it, it takes a real he man to start this thing, kicks like a mule, got a book for it too, parts man, and owners man,  what a saw, now what do I do with it??carry it in the back of pickup for a conversation piece?? OH well thanks for the help on the parts guys,   Duane
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

I know what you mean, Duane.

Every time I forget to squeeze my handle before the pull on my 090, that's the time it decides to snatch muscle and tendons out of my wrist and forearm.  I have to mentally say, "Squeeze as hard as you possibly can, or it's gonna hurt!"  When I have to shut down hot for some reason during milling, that baby will snatch back and take me with it! (I have the stock handle and need the bigger type.)

You are going to have an interesting situation with tremendous torque and 1/2 chain speed.  If I remember correctly, the 090G gears down 2:1 for super long bar use.

Unless I hear something to scare me off, my next mill will be a GB.
Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Ianab

Hi Guys.
 Do all 090s come with a decompress valve?
I've got an 090AV on my old Peterson mill and it's a honey to start... 3 or 4 pulls hot or cold and seems to kick less than my little MS310.
Without that decompress knob I think it would be a real arm breaker  :o

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

The oldest 090 I've seen was at least 22 years old.  It had the decompression button on the top caul, just like mine, which is two years old.

When warmed-up, mine usually starts first pull, but when it is just a  little hotter, ... man!  Early detonation can snatch the grip out of my hand.   "Focus", I say,  "FOCUS!"  (Sometimes I don't.) :-[
Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

SawInIt CA

Duane,
Cant help you with the mill but you can come on up and rip a 5' fir with it. A might bit better than my 460 to be sure. ;D

Duane_Moore

:D :D :D :D  would be rite there but only have an 8 ft box on my pickup ;D ;D  Duane , but will get up there soon,
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

woodbeard

In "chainsaw lumbermaking", Will Malloff talks about using the 090g for larger logs. He seems to think that there could be problems with the gear drive not getting enough oil when the saw is held horizontally for long periods, as in milling. Seems to me like the saw was meant to operate in this position anyway, but maybe he knows something I don't.
My 090 is about 30 yrs old and still kicking. ( Just not clutching :( )

slowzuki

I just did a little search to see what saw you mean, those things are monsters!  Someone wouldn't actually carry one around in the woods would they?  What is the weight?
Ken

woodbeard

From the owners manual:
090av w/21" bar+chain: 32.2lbs
090g w/35" bar+chain: 37.1lbs

Though they are falling out of use in this country in favor of the lighter 088, they are still in use in South america, Africa, and Asia

Stephen_Wiley

QuoteI just did a little search to see what saw you mean, those things are monsters!  Someone wouldn't actually carry one around in the woods would they?  What is the weight?
Ken

Not only did I pack em into the woods but occasionaly would climb and use them.

Prior to their use -  saws which I have no longer but can still be found in some saw shops such as the David Bradley, McCullough pre 60 saws weighed considerably more and were packed into the woods by some of my elderly friends.

Check out the original one cylinder faller / bucker machines which were used in the woods operation.

I still have my Stihl 075 with a 54" bar but it is light in comparrison to the others I previously had.

Have you ever seen the picture of  their use 150 feet up a redwood ?  

Bailey's  has pictured it more than once in their catalog's, one of the last issues was the summer of 1995. Jerry Beranek and his partner Kieth Anker used an 090 with an 84" bar to bring down in two pieces a 280' Redwood.

Yes, the falling saws are becoming harder to find. Young folks who have never handled one are calling them 'big man saws'.
They will give you a work-out.
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Duane_Moore

:) well the story, A fellow friend called one day and said he found a big saw, should he buy it? me, what make? how big? how much?, him, don't know, don't know, don't know, next call from him,  GOT IT,  ITs BIG, Stihl, 5FT long 400$, rope broke on starter, hope its ok,,  But I know you can fix it up, be rite over with it,  that was in Aug,  well, well, can I fix it? if man made it I can fix it, took 4 mo to get parts that are usable, had a hellava time getting 404 drive spockets for it, but got the last known of, also found 400ft of 1/2 in pitch chain, 063ga but no 1/2 in spockets for the saw, the saw has not been used very little, has a 50" bar 063 ga. with smoth rolled tip so can use 063 404 chain on bar,got it running just last weekend, what a horse minor tuneup and away it went,

Oregon_Rob

QuoteNot only did I pack em into the woods but occasionaly would climb and use them.

Prior to their use -  saws which I have no longer but can still be found in some saw shops such as the David Bradley, McCullough pre 60 saws weighed considerably more and were packed into the woods by some of my elderly friends.

Yes, the falling saws are becoming harder to find. Young folks who have never handled one are calling them 'big man saws'.
They will give you a work-out.

I'll bet your granddads were saying similar things about the young kids using all this new, high powered equipment. "Why in my day, it would take us two days just for the back cut with axes, and you hoped like hell that the bull didn't step on you!"

Chainsaw Nerd

Stephen_Wiley

Rob,

Actually, the old timers I use to work with (most are gone now) would exclaim they logged a unit by 'hand'.

I would often tease them asking if their hand hurt after whacking on those trees all day.  :D :D :D 8)
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Duane_Moore

when it rains it pours,  right? found two more 090G today, could not find ne for years , and now,  also Joker I found some more 1/2 pitch stuff,  don't know how much or what yet, will find out next week,  one of the guys with the 090G has a roll,  will try for ya, says he will trade for 3/8 chain, cross your fingers ,           Duane

Duane_Moore

Well, Roger got one of the 090s given to him. it is a 090 not a G model, ser#8036xx1  old saw and in need of a lot of repair, but has a slider sprocket on it, and case not busted, the piston is froze up in it and needs some small parts, looks like it was left in the back of pickup in the weather for years, will totally rebuild saw, should be able to get most parts for it as it is a 090 not a G model, so here we go again, more dumb questions,  Duh---Duane

Stan

QuoteNot only did I pack em into the woods but occasionaly would climb and use them.

That ain't no trick, just point the nose at the top of the tree touch the bar to the bark and pull the throttle. You'll be up the tree in no time at all. Note: releasing the trigger is manditory for self preservation.  8)
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Duane_Moore

8) ordered some of that Rust Reaper stuff, will try it on the 090, the piston being stuck and all,  Duh---Duane

Hunter

I have only seen the 090 and 090G in pictures. How does it compare to the 088?
  I am Having EHP port an 088 woods saw for me and I really dont run much Stihl stuff. After I tried John Lamberts 088KD, I had to have one. Will be great for the big stumps and someday a GB mill.
Hunter
Jmccomas@insight.rr.com
614-554-2169
Dolmar / Efco / Redmax / Silvey Grinders Sales

oldsaw

Man, what a machine.  I said "no" to an 075 because it was too clunky for anything off of the mill.  But DanG, the power would be something else.....Nope, don't need to find an 088, my 066 is fine...keep saying it....my 066 is fine...my 066 is fine...DanG, it isn't working too well.  But poverty will keep me honest...that and needing a new car.

Cold showers never really worked either.
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Duane_Moore

well, could not tell ya how the 090 compares to the 088, never been around a 088, the 090 & 090G are a very auckward saw to handle, way to heavy, and anything over a 36" bar and they are real nose heavy, Roger does cut with a 090G, He's a big Boy. mostly carry to big sticks and lay on them and let them cut there own way through, have cut a little with it, but it spookes me.way to much for me, ready to cut full of oil and fuel and 6' bar these things weigh about 50lbs, but nothing stops them, nothing. oldsaw repeate after me.  066---066---)  is it working yet?.... these bigs ones are getting hard to find but I love to fix and play with them, someday we won't see them.  take care guys,  Duh---Duane

Ianab

I'll second what Duane says about the 090... I'm glad mine is bolted down to the mill. I dont even have a bar and sprocket for it... not to say I wouldn't mind getting one  ;)
I know the 090av's were still avaliable new here in NZ last year, but I suspect they were last of the new old stock, and they weren't cheap.
What I notice about the saw when it's running is that it's not reving like a modern smaller saw, but it chugs along with massive amount of torque. Sounds almost like an old style 2 stroke motorbike, and with the momentum of the circle blade it's got a cool burble and pop on the overrun as you flick the throttle closed coming out the end of the log.
It's a brilliant piece of engineering however you look at it  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!