iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Opinions on jointer/planer machines.

Started by Mike_M, July 17, 2007, 09:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_M

I have been looking at a machine that can be used as a jointer and a planer. I am interested in hearing what others have to say. The machine that I am looking at is a Grizzly 12" planer/jointer with the helical insert cutting blades. The jointer bed length is right around 60". My shop space is limited so that is probably the biggest advantage for this type of machine. At this time I am doing runs between 700-1000 bdft of Alder and finishing them as S4S. Any input would be great.

woodbeard

My only experience has been with a Parks 12" jointer/planer combo. The planer part was fine, but the jointer part was an absolute piece of junk! From what I have read since, this particular machine was exceptional in it's poor engineering, so it may not be a good comparison, but it left me with a profound mistrust for combo machines.
The Griz unit may be a fine machine for all I know, but for the price, you can get a 15" planer and an 8" jointer, both of which will probably be better machines, and may serve your needs better. As for the space issue, The Grizzly machines come with built in wheels to move them out of the way when not needed. Also, a planer and a jointer can be placed side by side, since they both run stock lengthwise only, so it's really not that much extra space. I think it would be a real hassle to flip the tables up and down every time I wanted to use the jointer, and just as annoying to leave them down while using the planer. But I tend to go back and forth between the two fairly frequently.
Anyway, that's my thoughts.

MemphisLogger

Mike,

I'm with Woodbeard on this one for a couple more reasons . . .

If you are facing rough lumber on your jointer, you will be nicking and dulling the blades due to grit on the boards. If you're using the same cutterhead to do your final planing you won't like the result.

Also, the combo machine's jointer table won't be long enough to do longer edge jointing.

I hear you on the space concerns. I started out custom woodworking in a 17x20 shop but I managed to fit an 8" jointer and 15" planer in on wheels.

Now that I have room I run 2 jointers--one just for facing and one just for edge jointing. I also run 2 planers--one for rough lumber and one for final dimensioning.   
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Handy Andy

I've never tried a combo machine, but have a 10"  jointer and 18" planer.  The 10" jointer just isn't big enough.  Wish grizzly had their new 12" when I bought mine.  I got a byrd head for the jointer and limit now is 9 3/4. The byrd head is great.  Jim
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Thank You Sponsors!