iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nyle L50 verus L200

Started by Larry, July 29, 2007, 03:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

First a little history.  I have been drying with a 1,000 foot solar kiln and a Ebac LD-800 for about 12 years.  My typical customer brings me 200 to 1,000 bf of hardwood logs to saw and dry the lumber.  I sent a lot of drying business down the road because I didn't have enough capacity.  KD retail hardwood sales were also small...in the range of 100 to 500 bf most often.  I had some success with selling log run directly out of the kiln.  2 to 4 guys get together and split the load.

That's all behind me as I have moved and plan on starting over with new kilns.

I'm thinking for me, perhaps two possibly three Nyle L50's would be better than one L200.  I would never have a problem filling the L50 but I think with a L200 I would be running it a lot with small loads.  With two or three kilns I could also be running different species at the same time without the worry of mixing loads.  Plan on also building another three solar kilns to dry my own...and keeping an inventory of dry lumber on hand right in the kiln.

Does my thinking make any sense?  Never seen anybody posting about an L50...other than being slightly slower and much smaller are they the same quality as a L200?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

OneWithWood

I cannot answer the quality issue.  I have a DH4000 (L200 with Honeywell controls).  I have often asked myself the same question about charge size.  If I were to do it over again I think I would have purchased two or three smaller units.  I always have the option of supplementing the larger kiln with a smaller one in the future.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!