iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Amazing 1500 bf per blade on Goodwill trip

Started by SawyerBrown, December 14, 2013, 12:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerBrown

I've been following the Goodwill trip to Rusk, Texas, and rather than post on that thread thought I'd start a new one relative to bandsaw blade life between sharpenings.

MagicMan and company used 6 blades to saw almost 9000 bf of lumber (mostly pine, I think), which, if my arithmetic skills aren't one of the things I'm losing these days, comes to an average of about 1500 bf / blade.  Wow!! 

I've tried to find any other threads on the subject ... looks like there was one earlier this year, and 300-500 bf is maybe an average, which is about what I'm doing (if I don't hit something non-wood first, of course) sawing mostly hardwoods (oak, ash, walnut, hickory, ...)

But I'm wondering if there are any "secrets" to maximizing blade life?  So far I've picked up:
  - use the debarker if in any doubt
  - power = speed, and the faster the better (less "bites" per cut)  (so make sure you're always lugging the engine a little bit, regardless of power)
  - Use the right blade for the lumber species (and maybe how dry it is??)

Other than that, I'm not sure I have any influence. 

Relative to the last point (right blade for the job), I've gotta be honest that I haven't quite figured that one out yet.  My simple mind would love to have a chart with species down the side, hp across the top, and populated with best blade to use.  Or at least the basics (hook, gullet, etc).  Maybe even green vs drier log.  But maybe there are as many different opinions as there are FF members??

One other question ...  I've never fatigued a blade, but WM (in their literature, at least) says to stop the blade after a cutting pass.  Once I get cranking on a cant, that's the last thing I want to do.  Is that the same with most folks?  Is blade fatigue really a problem or does it get to the end-of-life for another reason?

Thanks for all your advice!

Pete
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Magicman

The first blade sawed over 2500 bf and would still curl your fingernail when I removed it.   ;D  Yes, the logs were clean but I still ran the debarker to help the blade.  Not having to edge also vastly improved blade life.

During my normal sawing, I usually change the blade at lunchtime which could mean anything from 300 to 1000 bf depending upon the log cleanliness and the species being sawed.

I always disengage the clutch at the end of the cut and return with the engine idling.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

wwsjr

That first blade was almost unbelievable, Lynn and I discussed several times the fact that we had not changed blades all day. I was constantly checking the knots to see if we had any wave from the blade dipping or rising in the cut, none found. The guys did assist the debarker with steel brushes as each log was loaded if a big spot of dirt was seen. We also discussed that using the edger could have prolonged the life of the blade. When edging on the mill it is almost impossible to use the debarker effectively due to the width of the flitches against the side supports. I cannot think of any time I have sawed that much with one blade either new or Resharp.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Chuck White

Using an edger will make a huge difference on blade life!

Not having to edge on the mill is the key!

When edging on the mill, you'll most likely cut some dirt when you cut through the stack of flitches!

I average between 6-800 board feet between blade changes and once in a while I'll get 1,000 bf on a blade.

Overall blade life (with the exception of hitting metal, rocks, etc) is based on the number of rotations the blade makes over the wheels!

A blade, like a piece of wire will only bend so many times before it breaks.

I alway disengage the blade when I exit the far end of the log or cant!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Milling is a double edged sword.
An edger has baldes. So extending the life of a mill blade leads to dulling of edger blades.

When you saw through a log and disengage your blade, it just adds wear to your clutch and clutch belt.

I may turn the blade off while undressing a log....but after my cant is ready to be sawn into boards....I never disengage the blade. Just saw through.....come back......lower .......and go again. :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

The total blades actually used sawing was one less because of a brain fart when I tried to back out of a cut with a new blade.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

1500bdft is an outstanding average, in any case, with any blade.  I stop my blade when turning or any other stoppage is needed, but when sawing down a cant, 4-6 boards is about all I want to raise the head so I will stop and remove, then flip and restart.   Log cleanliness is paramount for blade longevity, clean means sharp, sharp means less heat and stress.    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

SawyerBrown

Quote from: Magicman on December 14, 2013, 02:10:58 PM
The total blades actually used sawing was one less because of a brain fart when I tried to back out of a cut with a new blade.   :-\

Aren't you allowed one brain fart in 4 long days of sawing?  Still a pretty good lumber/brain fart ratio. ;D
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Magicman

Quote from: SawyerBrown on December 14, 2013, 02:39:31 PMAren't you allowed one brain fart in 4 long days of sawing? 
Hopefully yes, because they were long days.  We were sawing at 7:30, a half hour for lunch, and quitting time at 5:30.  That makes it very easy to make a mistake.

SawyerBrown

As another data point as to whether to disengage the saw after each cut, I went back and looked at WM's sales / demo videos (and even the Shootout video).  Very hard to tell on the LT40 video, but on the LT35 video I'm sure I see sawdust flying on the return pass at one point (saw is barely above the cant).

My biggest concern is wear and tear on drive belt and/or brake.  For those that do disengage, has that been a problem?  For those that don't, are you breaking blades due to fatigue?  Might be an argument either way as far as fuel savings, first impression is to idle her down, but re-accelerating those two pulleys burns some fuel too. 

SawyerBrown

Quote from: Magicman /quote]
We were sawing at 7:30, a half hour for lunch, and quitting time at 5:30.  That makes it very easy to make a mistake.

MM, so glad that everyone got home safe and sound.  Whatever the job, when fatigue sets in, we tend to lose focus / get sloppy, and that's when accidents happen.  Hopefully it's just a bent blade and not something more serious.  There were not one, but two, farmers killed this fall in the very small town I grew up in here in Illinois.  Both involved combines -- one got snagged in the rotating reel (while his young son sat helplessly in the buddy seat in the cab), the other got crushed under a header that wasn't properly supported. 

Really has nothing to do with this thread, I just hope and pray we're all seasoned enough to admit that, when it's time to quit, it's time to quit!  Especially when heavy machinery, and in our case heavy raw materials, are involved.  (And I'm saying this to remind myself more than anything else)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: SawyerBrown on December 14, 2013, 04:06:12 PM
As another data point as to whether to disengage the saw after each cut, I went back and looked at WM's sales / demo videos (and even the Shootout video).  Very hard to tell on the LT40 video, but on the LT35 video I'm sure I see sawdust flying on the return pass at one point (saw is barely above the cant).

My biggest concern is wear and tear on drive belt and/or brake.  For those that do disengage, has that been a problem?  For those that don't, are you breaking blades due to fatigue?  Might be an argument either way as far as fuel savings, first impression is to idle her down, but re-accelerating those two pulleys burns some fuel too.

This is what I'm talking about.....disengaging the blade every dog gone time you get to the end of the log has got to take its toll on brakes, belts, the switch or clutch handle and other things as well.
I engage and leave it on unless I need to walk in front of the blade for a reason and then I turn it off.
Once a blade is moving....it is Happy, Happy, Happy......but once you start engaging and disengaging......there has got to be some kind of "jerk" to get that blade moving know matter how small the jerk is. To me engaging and disengaging to many times will shorten the life when it comes to breaking.

Bill Gaiche

Sawyerbrown, I didn't think that us ole farts had to worry about fatigue until 95 or so. bg

Bill Gaiche

Magicmans mill has the auto clutch. I listened and watched the engagement many times in 4 days of sawing and  it seemed smooth with no belt squealing or jerking. Brake may wear but you got to give some and take some somewhere. bg

SawyerBrown

bg, if you're still sawing at 95, you're a better man than me!  I plan to be sawing logs of a different sort by that time :D

Stephen1

I have been wondering about that stopping and starting, Im not convinced either way. The brake and clutch and belts are disposable. I have not changed my belt in 1.5 years. I will change it for next season as I think I am at the end of adjustment. The last saw job I had slippage in the afternoon. I would think it is better to save the life of the blade, at 30+$ a blade and such a short life, I will try to stop and start more next season.
This discussion will be interesting to watch and read. See what everyone else does.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

SawyerBrown

Quote from: Bill Gaiche on December 14, 2013, 04:53:08 PM
Magicmans mill has the auto clutch. I listened and watched the engagement many times in 4 days of sawing and it seemed smooth with no belt squealing or jerking. bg

If the engine is turning and the saw is not, the belts are the only thing in the system that can "absorb" the difference.  I can't remember on my mill what comes first, engine speed or pulley engagement (what happens when), or more or less simultaneously, but I wonder if the auto clutch doesn't do a better job of first getting the belts engaged and then the engine accelerating the whole system.  I do recall that if I try to engage too quickly, I do get a little belt chirp, so in general a little slower is better; but it's hard to not get at least a little chirp. 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Bill Gaiche on December 14, 2013, 04:53:08 PM
Brake may wear but you got to give some and take some somewhere. bg

Good point Bill. If you have the proper tension on your belt, you should hear a little "squeal" when you engage your blade.

Magicman

I have completed 12 years of sawing and I am on my second drive belt and second brake pad.  I am sure that WM lets it run during shootouts, etc. but their operator's manual says to disengage and that is the way I learned to saw.

I also might contact the cant/log end or a high knot when returning.  If the blade was running, that would be a blade.

Our individual sawing routine is what each of us is comfortable with.  That is good enough for me.   :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on December 14, 2013, 05:22:21 PM

Our individual sawing routine is what each of us is comfortable with.  That is good enough for me.   :)

Well said Magic....does this mean I can continue doing it MY WAY?  Its always a SHOOT OUT around my mill. :D :D :D

drobertson

I'm not sure on others practices, but, I have never had an issue with stopping and starting. the brake is still good, and the drive belt as well.  As we know the saw bands, belts and brakes are parts designed for wear, and should be expected.  I will say, I have ran the .042 blades longer than the .045's per change.  This is on my mill and the way I run it.  There are so many factors that come into play that one can only experiment with different blades to find the one that fits the need.  All said, the job done in Texas by MM was a good example of perfect rhythm, clean logs, and timing of all the above which includes good alignment.  More could be said, but I'll leave it at this.   I always hear a lil squeal when engaging,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

SawyerBrown

Quote from: Magicman on December 14, 2013, 05:22:21 PM
I have completed 12 years of sawing and I am on my second drive belt and second brake pad. 

MM, I'm still trying to learn (and not yet set in my ways   ;D)), and your data is pretty compelling.  I think I'll give it a shot and see if it doesn't slow me down too much. 

But I won't hold it against you other fellers to keep doing it like you are!!

Holmes

Quote from: Magicman on December 14, 2013, 02:59:46 PM
Quote from: SawyerBrown on December 14, 2013, 02:39:31 PMAren't you allowed one brain fart in 4 long days of sawing? 
Hopefully yes, because they were long days.  We were sawing at 7:30, a half hour for lunch, and quitting time at 5:30.  That makes it very easy to make a mistake.

That is a very long day of working.   My preference would be to start late and quit early. 8)
Think like a farmer.

Thank You Sponsors!