iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Work???

Started by timberjack20, February 03, 2003, 03:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberjack20

I am going to be graduating from college this December.  I basically allready have a job lined up for when I am done with school.  I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice for a forester that is just starting out, it would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

Ron Scott

Who will you be working for, Feds, State, Private, etc.
~Ron

timberjack20

I will be working for Private, but I didnt know if anyone had any other opinions of what i should do.

Phil

They both have their pros and cons.  I guess the biggest pro of private work would be the $$$, although federal pay ain't too bad, either.

When I was a forester with the state, one of the things I liked best was the variety -- cruising timber one day, doing a school program the next, fighting fire the third.  Whereas in the private sector, you're of course going to be focusing more on those activities that generate $$$.  (I can't begrudge 'em for that.)

The bigger the company, though, the more they seem to like a bit of PR work, so you still may end up in school programs from time to time.

Phil

Ron Wenrich

When you say private, do you mean private industry or private consulting?  It will give you a different outlook.

I've done both.  Be prepared for frustration.  You'll find a tract a timber that could use some work, and tha landowners just aren't interested.  You may hit a long string of these before one pops up.

Or, you will find one where you have to do what the landowner wants, not what should be done in the woods.  You're just a hired gun.

The positive side is the ones where you get to work a woodlot up where it's done the way it's supposed to be.  And you get to see all kinds of neat places that other people just dream about.  

Brush up on your sales ability and people skills if you are doing any contact work.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ron Scott

Pick out a good mentor in your company; keep your eyes and ears open, and listen to the "experienced" especially the technicians and those who do the "hands on work". Get as much diversity of experience in forest and resource management as you can.

Work safely!
~Ron

Bud Man

" Life 101 " got your degree, now on to the rest of your life?  Schools take tuition and hand out degrees but thats where they end !  Defined goals are what set us apart from the beasts of burden that get a sack of stale oats at the end of a hard days work !  Recognize what areas of interest and skills are your strengths and whats a passion to you , thats where you'll ultimately be most successful.  Become a sponge, Humbly and Politely seek out and interact with the ones that have gone before you, there mistakes will be cheaper than yours.  Ask what they would have done differently or what brought them the most fullfillment and success within their career.  Be polite but don't be timid, most people will gladly share their experiences !!   " Enjoy The Journey "
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

RMay

timberjack 20 a foresters jop is 25% forestry and 75% people skills getting the landowner interested in forestry management and your work is 1/2 done . When you can sale & get the landowner going & happy about management work you will be a forester . 8)
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Fabiola

Another good advice: Keep in touch with what is new what is going on: inovation, new technique, research about what are you working on. Never stop learning!
Fabíola Vieira
Forestry Engineer
Brasil

Thank You Sponsors!