iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Central Boiler E-Classic 2300-any experience???

Started by Piston, February 27, 2008, 05:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Welcome to the forum, whodoctor.

We'll look forward to your experiences with the CB outdoor.
Installation pics would be super great too.  ;D ;D  we like pics.

What type of wood do you plan to push through it? Dry, green, large, small ?? ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum,whodoctor.You will like your outdoor furnace.I had to re-learn how to burn wood with my Heatmor.I have land so I burn a lot of dead and rotten wood in mine. That's what I wanted it for.Good luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Piston

whodoctor,
welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.  I will be especially interested in your report once you have it up and running and get some miles on her...I am still very interested in the boiler so any info you report on is appreciated, you know all the usual questions like burn times under what conditions, what type of wood your burning, and very important also is whether or not it does what the website and company says it does.  now how bout some pics!   8)
if you do post a thread on it, would you mind noting it in this thread? that way anyone that finds this thread will have a link to yours....good luck
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

whodoctor

Just wanted to post a link to the E-classic 2300 Dual Fuel thread, covering the install and operating blog notes.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,32705.msg471695.html#msg471695
Success is following the pattern of life that one enjoys the most

analog kid

Newbie here, and so glad to find a forum like this.  I'm looking at purchasing a 2300 shortly, and have a few general questions (and not just for Central Boiler users).  What kind of maintenance am I looking at for the unit on a daily/weekly/monthly/etc. basis.  Outside of the obvious wood hauling, cutting, and loading.  I want to make sure I know how deep the water is before I jump in, and I appreciate any comments that would help.

OneWithWood

analog, welcome to the forum!

The maintenance issues will probably vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.  For my CB I clean it totally out once a year at the end of the heating season.  It burns anything I put in it and does very well with green wood.  The ash removal is dependant on the wood burned and the size of the unit.  I clean mine out about every two weeks during the heating season.  It takes me about 15minutes to shovel the ash into the front loader.

Hope this helps. 

Do a search on boilers.  You will find a wealth of info.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum,analog.  Here's one thread to get you going,

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,22620.0.html

There's been a few treads on here about OWF.I have a Heatmor.Not much maintenace to it.A drop of oil in the blowers,check the rod in it to see if the water is harsh or not.I had someone install it for me.I did the grunt work,poured the pad,dug the ditches,laid the pipe outside,hung the heat exchangers.Wanted it to come out right.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DR_Buck

I ordered the CL6048 a few weeks back.  Waiting for delivery.  Next week I pour the pad and dig the trench for the thermo PEX. 

I looked long and hard at the E-2300 before deciding on the Classic 6048.  I can't say that the E-2300 is bad, but Central Boiler moved away from all of the promoted Pros that they touted as advantages when they came out with the E-2300.   It's fire brick lined, not boiler plate steel; does not have the heat baffles or "jagged" water tank bottom for more heat transfer area.  And, they WILL NOT quote BTUs, only that it is "similar" to CL6048.

I looked at them sitting side-by-side at the dealer and just couldn't see any reason to go to something still new and no field proof over any significant time,  when for less $$$ I could get proven capability.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

whodoctor

DR_Buck,

I hear your point on the unproven nature of the E-Classic.  I bought one, and I have my fingers crossed that it will run well.  My father did NOT by one for the same reasons that you just mentioned.  We'll see how this goes.
Success is following the pattern of life that one enjoys the most

Firewood Fred

Hi everyone,
I have to thank all of you for the information that you have given regarding wood boilers.
On July 5 I purchased a central boiler 2300 e-classic. Although I havenot recieved it , I appreciate any wisdom that you have offered. After it is set-up and I become accustom to its workings , I shall share with all  , the experiences , good and bad  that I have encountered.  Once again, thanks for the help.((( Firewood Fred)))

beenthere

Welcome to the Forum, Firewood Fred.

We'll look forward to your experiences, for sure.

What are you setting it up for...home, shop, or both?

What restrictions/codes, etc. do you have to watch out for when setting it up?

Do you have the seasoned wood for this winter? 

Just curious....
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DR_Buck

I got the call yesterday.  My Classic 6048 is in.  :)    It will be delivered sometime the week of 8 September.  My pad is poured and my next project is to dig the trench for the thermo PEX, power and thermostat control cable.  My primary goal is to get it hooked up for heating before the cold rolls in.  I still have some time here in VA until I need to worry.  ;)  I'll get the domestic hot water hooked up after everything else is working.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

jocko

Dr. Buck,

Where are you in NoVa?   I was born in Manassas, grew up in Fairfax, but lived in Loudoun for the last 15 years,  before my recent more to NJ.  I sure miss Virginia.  Good luck with your CL6048,  I was strongly leaning toward that unit.  It is proven and going with the E-Classic (as I did) is kind of a throw of the dice.  But I need to be compliant with visible smoke regs for my area.  Fingers crossed.

OneWithWood

DR, go ahead and plumb the domestic hot water while you are doing everything else.  It is easier to do it while running the lines than to splice it in later.

You make me feel good.  Here I was bemoaning being behind in gathering firewood for the coming winter, but I at least have my stove installed. 

Thanks, buddy  8)
One With Wood

Muskytooth

I will try and attach photos here of my e-classic 2300 burning. 

The stove is burning in all photos.  In a few of them I have opened up the bypass door to show the difference.

I hope you get to see how they look.   If the photos don't attach here I will post another link were you can go and see them.

Also...in these photos I am burning a few pieces of punky wood just to use it up.  I would imagine that with all dry wood it would burn even cleaner.   I am only guessing there....   This is my first OWB ever....

Note from the admins: Photo's should be shown here, or linked to your (forestry Forum photo gallery) not to other sites.

Steve
Amery WI

EDK400

Hello, I have had a Central Boiler Classic for 7 years now.  I love it.  The only problem I have had is one damper selenoid.  Easy and cheap repair.  I have heard of the electronic controller (heat track I think it is called) going bad and that Central does not have a replacement.  My neighbor is going through that nightmare right now.  Anyone else go through this problem and if so, what was the fix?

OneWithWood

We had the remote controller on our first CB40.  It was great to be able to monitor the stove from in the house.  It failed once and CB replaced it at no charge. On the advice of our dealer I installed a lightning arrestor in the circuit.  When we sold the unit the controller went with it.  The new CB7260 did not come with a remote option.  We were told by the dealer that the remotes were too susceptible to voltage surges and the company had to replace too many of them.

If the controller mounted on the stove goes south it is an easy fix if the part is available.
One With Wood

kenkressin

I clean the ashes more often than most people here ... about once every 3 days.  I wait for the fire to be down to mostly coals, then empty the ashes, then stir the coals and get quite a few to fall into the reaction chamber.  I then spread out the coal/ash pile slightly from below before I close the reaction chamber back up.  I find this prevents the firebox from getting so full of ash that the air holes get compromised.  I also clean the exchange pipes more often for efficiency. 

lynn d

i have a central boiler e series 2300 and the blower motor and 2 heat senors blew out after 2 seasons - has anyone had this problem or know what might have caused this

Thank You Sponsors!