iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a mill.. FIRST LOG WAS A SUCCESS!!

Started by jwh f-100, January 12, 2018, 01:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwh f-100

More progress!! Don't mind the temporary lifting system

Next steps are finish the blade tensioner, engine mount, and hand clutch 

Why buy it when you can build it.

Kwill

What size pulley shelves are those? Looking good
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

jwh f-100

Quote from: Kwill on February 25, 2018, 03:24:02 PM
What size pulley shelves are those? Looking good

18.75" from surplus center. Thanks

Georgia088

Did you buy the b56 belt or b57 belt? Did you order them from surplus center too?

Thanks!

jwh f-100

Quote from: Georgia088 on February 25, 2018, 07:34:28 PM
Did you buy the b56 belt or b57 belt? Did you order them from surplus center too?

Thanks!
From surplus center, yes.. B57.. 13-B57 i think is the number..
Jason

Kwill

I just got  a couple pulleys from surplus to. 
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

jwh f-100

Quote from: Kwill on February 25, 2018, 07:42:31 PM
I just got  a couple pulleys from surplus to.
Good deal.. I priced trailer wheels and go kart hubs and these pulleys were comparable priced.. It was a easy choice for me.. One will also be the drive wheel.
Jason 

Piddler

That's the same pulleys and H style bushings I will be using. Just curious, did you use the keyway also?
When I ask the same question more than once please excuse me since I suffer from (CRS)

Georgia088

Quote from: jwh f-100 on February 25, 2018, 07:41:39 PM

Thanks!
Jason
I'm expecting my shipment from surplus center tom. Everything but the 18.75 pulleys. They were back ordered and a week behind. I read the debate on b56 vs b57 belts and ordered b56. After looking at yours it looks pretty tight.... I hope I can get the b56 on the wheel....
Thanks

Piddler

You're in for a treat with the b56 belts .I just put mine on a couple days ago and it was tough. I even watched a couple videos on you tube ( they make it look fairly easy ) Good luck.
When I ask the same question more than once please excuse me since I suffer from (CRS)

jwh f-100

Quote from: Piddler on February 25, 2018, 07:56:46 PM
That's the same pulleys and H style bushings I will be using. Just curious, did you use the keyway also?
I did but I suppose I don't need to..  
Quote from: Georgia088 on February 25, 2018, 08:07:36 PM
Quote from: jwh f-100 on February 25, 2018, 07:41:39 PM

Thanks!
Jason
I'm expecting my shipment from surplus center tom. Everything but the 18.75 pulleys. They were back ordered and a week behind. I read the debate on b56 vs b57 belts and ordered b56. After looking at yours it looks pretty tight.... I hope I can get the b56 on the wheel....
Thanks

Uh oh. Hopefully they are able to restock soon..  I think I saw some pulleys on amazon also..
Jason 

Georgia088

Quote from: Piddler on February 25, 2018, 08:28:59 PM
You're in for a treat with the b56 belts .I just put mine on a couple days ago and it was tough. I even watched a couple videos on you tube ( they make it look fairly easy ) Good luck.
But you were able to get the b56 from surplus center on the 18.75 pulley from there?

Piddler

Yelp got them on but it was a bit of a struggle.

jwh f-100

Once again I am torn regarding which route to take with my clutch..  Overall the centrifugal is the easiest route but is it the best??

I'm looking at these two from surplus center. Anyone have any reviews concerning reliability??

Also not sure which speed would be best. I think the 2300 would be more responsive when the throttle is released, but under a load would it be more subject to slip?

The slower one would probably hold better under a load speed but would it lunge at and idle?

Hmm..

Crusarius

will the single pulley work or are you going to need dual pulley? I don't know anything else about them so I will let the experts help.

Kbeitz

My choice would be the low rpm one.  Idle speed is 1750 RPM for aluminum-cylinder engine or 1200 RPM for engine with a cast-iron cylinder sleeve. The older the clutch gets the higher the starting RPM will be.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

jwh f-100

Quote from: Kbeitz on February 26, 2018, 10:17:45 AM
My choice would be the low rpm one.  Idle speed is 1750 RPM for aluminum-cylinder engine or 1200 RPM for engine with a cast-iron cylinder sleeve. The older the clutch gets the higher the starting RPM will be.

jwh f-100

Quote from: Kbeitz on February 26, 2018, 10:17:45 AM
Do you think it would lunge at an idle?
Jason 

Kbeitz

I don't have any lunging problems. I build a lot of things. If I ever have problems with a clutch that grabs to fast I just put a little oil on it. That takes care of the problem fast.

The above post... Any time I do any cutting and pasting in a post it come out like that...
I've had that problem since the forum has been updated.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

The icon with the A- removes all formatting and resets it to forum defaults. I found that out yesterday :)

13th icon from the left.

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

jwh f-100

Whelp. I ordered the slower centrifugal clutch.. Fingers crossed.. 

Hopefully things dry up by the time have the log bed built..  smiley_sun

Rougespear

Personally, B56 belts are the way to go.  I tried 57s and quickly switched back.  They are not hard to get on at all - the trick is to let them twist as you roll them into the sheave's groove, then untwist them afterward.  Timberking has a video on it on YouTube.
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

Kwill

Quote from: Rougespear on February 28, 2018, 10:24:12 AM
Personally, B56 belts are the way to go.  I tried 57s and quickly switched back.  They are not hard to get on at all - the trick is to let them twist as you roll them into the sheave's groove, then untwist them afterward.  Timberking has a video on it on YouTube.
What problems did the b57 cause?
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Iwawoodwork

Kbeitz, there a lot of old snowmobiles in central Oregon (I have 2) that could picked up for cheap or free, they have centrifugal clutches  do you think the snowmobile system would work for a sawmill ?

Thank You Sponsors!