iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Logger's Pickup. One can easily recognize a logger's pick-up as it shows the tools and wear of the trade including the empty pop cans inside on the floor. ;) Sheffer timber harvest; 12/08.

~Ron

Dave Shepard

I've never seen a loggers truck that didn't have a pail of hydraulic fluid in it. :-\

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Gary_C

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Coon

That tailgate has got many hours of use left in it yet?  You should have seen ours at work last summer.  Had it been clean one could have used if for a large salad bowl. :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Ron Scott on March 24, 2008, 07:51:24 PM
One can easily recognize a logger's pick-up as it shows ...................the empty pop cans inside on the floor. ;)

:D :D :D Yup,very true and the back of the pickup with cans and coffee cups at times. :D Oh, man the times I've gone for rides in a logger's pickup and the rubbish under my feet.  ::)

Famous last words: "I told my son to keep this truck clean, but I can't do anything with'im." :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Craig

My tailgate isn't bent but there is always hydraulic oil in there.

Craig

Craig Martin
C.S. Martin Forest Contracting
Life, Liberty and Justice For All.
(This includes Americans)

isawlogs

Quote from: Craig on March 25, 2008, 10:52:28 AM
My tailgate isn't bent but there is always hydraulic oil in there.
[

There is a very important little word you fogot to put in there between " bent but " . That little word would be   My tailgate isn't bent yet, but there is always hydraulic oil in there.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Corley5

It's not as straight as it looks  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Corley5

Corley5

What happens when your back cut isn't level and you cut through the holding wood  ;) ;D

Dave Shepard

Gas cans: check
Chainsaws: check
Fuel tank: check
Pail of hydraulic oil: check
Banana tailgate: hmmm, are you sure it's a logger's truck? Looks pretty straight to me. ;D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Corley5

Basswood logs to be forwarded and a couple hangups.  One was a natural blowdown.  The other was fallen into it to dislodge it and after trying to pull it out with the Mule's loader it ended up 12' in the air.  Had to cut the top out to get it back down and then it was like cutting ends off a teeter totter one at time  ;) ;D  You should never fall trees into others to get them to fall down  ;) ;D  This was actually the second one I'd fallen on it.  I finally had to hook a chain to the orginal and pull it down with the Mule.

Collecting basswood logs

Mule and basswood saw logs

One of Everingham Enterprise's Western Stars.  Mike's putting his cross chains on the pup.

Me, Jonsered 2186 and a hollow beech.  Beats wearing a tie to work any day  8) 8) 8)

Corley5

That truck's tailgate's been a real survivor  8)  It's got a crease on the outside from the old straps breaking when I flipped a round bale out of the bed and has had enough bar, hydraulic and other oils spilled on it that it'll never rust  ;D ;D

Dave Shepard

The inside of my pickup bed won't rust either. Did you know those rubber floor mats will grow about two feet when they are saturated with diesel?

Dave

SwampDonkey

That's an awesome beech Corley, even if it was hollow.  ;)

Wish our beech was smooth. I don't know how you guys escape scale, because they like warmer, not colder climates. Maybe one saving grace is the females can't fly (I think that's true  ::) ). Nature is interesting at times.

Nice basswood logs, your cutting those as if they were as thick as sugar maples in our woods. ;D

Who needs a tie me down, eh?

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Corley5

Beech scale is on it's way to us  :( :'( :(  It's been in the eastern half of the UP for a while and is in the NW tip of the LP now.  The DNR attempted a control cut when it was first found in N Emmet County but it's since been found in other areas there also.  So it's only a matter of time now.  The theory is it came in from the UP on birds.  The scales are assexual and are only mobile for a short while in the spring I believe.  Birds and wind are their primary modes of transport.  That's how I remember it but I haven't read the literature in a while  ;) ;D  I'd prefer to leave beech standing for wildlife mast and shelter but they're goners anyway and this harvest site is going to be sold and the owner wants everything merchantable taken out.  Lots of firewood in one of these brutes.  Solid ones go for hardwood saw bolts.  This area was pretty thick with basswood and a few sugar maple.  It's pretty thin of anything now  :) :)
  Dave,  that mat musta been trying to climb out of the bed on its own  eh eh

Tillaway

A little down hill cable yarding Westwood Timber Sale 3/26/08.

http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=7QKqbVPY3QM
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Bicboro

I am harvesting mountain sides.  It's quite a challenge, but I think I'm up for it.  I run 1270D wheeled harvester, but we put tracks on it.  I have a 1710D forwarder picking up behind me.  These pics are from January 08.  I traded these in, in April, and my new ones were delivered today.  I'll put up some pics of the new one soon.

PHOTOS MUST BE IN YOUR FORESTRY FORUM GALLERY
See instructions here: Link
In depth look into mechanical harvesting.  www.thetreeharvester.com

SwampDonkey

Nice machines Bicboro. But hard on the dial-up. Should squeeze some bytes out of them and resize down to 450 per long side. Then upload them to your forum gallery. ;)

Do they do pre-commercial thinning on clearcut sites at a later date down there? Or just let it go wild?

Ron Scott

Sale Closure.The timber harvest contract has been completed. The landing has been cleaned of all woody debris and graded. The iron mule forwarder is now driven onto the lowboy for transport to the next job. Sheffer timber harvest; 4/30/08.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Sale Closure. The landowner (wearing suspenders) and the logger (in black sweatshirt) discuss a "job well done" on the 80 acres as the iron mule forwarder is loaded on the lowboy and ready the be hauled off the job. Sheffer timber harvest; 4/30/08.

~Ron

Ron Scott

On its Way. The iron mule forwarder leaves the harvest area. It will be trucked home for a rest and maintenance and then on to the next job. Sheffer timber harvest; 4/30/08.

~Ron

Gary_C

Ron, thats a nice wrap up for a good job. How long did this job take from the initial contact to you thru the bid, contract, job start and then finish? 

Most of the state jobs I do here are 5 year contracts, and there are good tax reasons to hold a logging contract for at least a year before harvesting and on a sold as appraised job there are additional growth incentives to hold contracts as long as possible.

However, I know that most private landowners do not have the patience that the government has on logging jobs.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

Gary, that's for sure. It's usually cut and run on woodlots here and you can see the results as most woodlots get liquidated in a harvest or so badly high graded that what gets left should be burnt.  ::)

Ron Scott

Gary,
Time frames on this job were as follows:

(1) September 22, 2005, landowner contacted me to look at their 80 acres of hardwoods and aspen. I met with the landowner and prepared a management prescription for their timber management. The landowner didn't want any activity on the property until after the October - December, 2005 deer seasons.

(2) January 6, 2006,  the landowner contacted me and signed an Agreement To Prepare & Manage Private Land Timber Harvest.Work on the property was now authorized.

(3) February 4 - March 4, boundary lines were checked and marked, timber was selectively marked and cruised. Round trip travel was 110 miles.

(4) March 21, 2006, Timber Sale Proposal, Bib Sheet, Timber Sale Area Map, and sample Private Land Timber Contract were prepared for approval by the landowner.

(5) April 15, 2006, Timber sale was put out on bids for a May 2, 2006 bid opening.

(6) A number of producers looked at the sale but markets were now going "soft" and most were "backed up" with wood to be cut. There was one bid that was acceptable.

(7) The Harvest Contract was signed on May 16, 2006 with an expiration date of April 30, 2008.

8.  September 12, 2007, the purchaser started the harvest with the intent to complete it in a short time frame. However with slow markets and backed up with wood on other sales they had to complete the job dragged out for 6 1/2 month until the very last day of the contract, April 30, 2008. This job was carried on longer than usual, mostly because of the poor markets.

I've found that logger's are never as timely as they say they will be. When they say tomorrow, it's usually two weeks from tomorrow.  ;)

The producer was one of my better ones, but poor markets and the reasons you mentioned caused their late start-up and slow production. Once they started they were slow and consistent, but did a good job overall.

Over all from first meeting with the landowner until harvest completion it was just over 2 1/2 years. I usually allow enough time on my contracts so as to get the better producers and bidders and I inform the landowners of this though they may sometimes get inpatient.  
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!