iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

setter questions?

Started by paul case, November 22, 2009, 11:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul case

i have a manual sharpener and would like to aquire a setter. must be inexpensive. used would be ok but i just havent found any of these. does anyone use the linn lumber setter it is the cheapest i have seen new and looks ok to me . any input is appreciated thanks  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

bandmiller2

Paul,a one tooth manual setter is a simple device that could be made easily.Basically its a destaco over center clamp[grainger catalog] and a dial indicator.If you get a good look at one you shouldn't have much trouble making one.where are you located Paul ?. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

paul case

ne ok  i cut a lot of post oak for trailer floors and barn siding and that seems to dull a blade and take the set out pretty quick. i cut 25  1x 12 s  and 22 1x4 s of post oak today. hit 1 nail rite after i sharpened the blade and i sharpened it 2 more times today. tomorow ive got 1  10' walnut log to cut in 1xs and 12 full 2x8s red oak and 2 12'' post oak 10' ',and 1 redoak 40''x8' and ill be caught up and ready to go to my wifes grandparents for turkey day what about you frank?   pc
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

bandmiller2

Paul sounds like you do enough cutting to justify a setter,only problem with the cheap ones is their slow.I made one using the over center clamp and dial indicater I still have it and got fustrated with time it takes to go tooth by tooth.Made a semi automatic dual tooth setter, works well and is quick.Some folks here like the set almost perfect,thats fine,but I've found a couple of thousands of an inch give or take works for me.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

york

Paul,
sounds like your doing a lot of cutting,enough to warrant a real setter-you should look at Cooks "cat claw setter"  rugged and very accurate.....Bert
Albert

Chuck White

I have the Cat Claw Setter and I feel it's as good as any on the market!

As BM2 stated, a little bit of set variation won't hurt a thing!
Anyone who just has to have the set perfect is taking about 3 times as long to set a band!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Coalsmoke

I have Norwood's industrial setter, best $800 spent. I started off with the manual setter but it was taking me 20-25 minutes to do a band. Now I do one in 2 minutes.
Visit Coalsmoke's website at www.coalsmoke.com

2008 Norwood Lumber Mate 2000 with Honda 20HP engine.
White 2-60 Field Boss > 65HP Tractor with loader.
Husky Chainsaws 353 and 395XPG heavily modified.
Loving wife who endorses all of the above :)

paul case

thanks for you guys input. i have found a used one i will purchase tomorow. good deal and i will be rite by there. it may be slow like you say but i dont see myself resetting every time i sharpen. although if it works so well i may be looking for a faster one. i will let you know. BTW i didnt get the last 2 orders done . it will have to wait till mon of next week. pc
pc

Thank You Sponsors!