iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Place to post "Bought at Auction"

Started by Ed_K, September 26, 2019, 10:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed_K

I bought a few things last Sat.

$250. for this delta/milwaukee.

An this this delta/milwaukee jointer $250.
 they need a lot of work to put in service but I think it was worth it, know better when I get them cleaned up.
 I also bought a couple other things I thought I needed.

I don't know what this is but I think I can use it to build a slab planer table?
 The motor for the jointer ran but the motor for the lathe started then tripped the braker. Can't tell if it's 110 or 220 here's a pic.

Can't read the plate it's all rust.
Ed K

sawguy21

;D Auctions are fun, looks like you did well. A 220 motor plugged into 110 will get very hot very quickly.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

doc henderson

sometimes there is a wire schematic on the inside of a removable cover.  It might have a 110 or 220 diagram.  the plug if it has one should be spedific for 110 or 220. I have had some alum. plates the were unreadable, but a phone pic allowed me to make out some numbers.  often a dealer can help if you get in the ball park.  they will know as an example if the second character is a letter or a number.  good luck.  some of the old stuff is better than is produced today.  IMHO.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Nebraska

Nice haul of auction treasure bounty. 

Brad_bb

I also want to know what that thing is that says Belsaw!
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Don P

Nice haul, I've got a few of the old wooden handscrew clamps.
Belsaw made a lot of sharpening equipment. An old school sharpening shop might be able to tell you what it's first use was.

Those lathes were usually 120 volt, but usually doesn't mean a thing with old stuff.

Jeff

Quote from: Brad_bb on September 26, 2019, 09:44:40 PM
I also want to know what that thing is that says Belsaw!
Could it be a flat knife grinder? 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

luap

Without seeing the nameplate I have two motors that look identical to yours. One is mounted on a blower for my planer at 110 volt. The other is on a table saw at 220 volt.

Resonator

QuoteCould it be a flat knife grinder?
That would be my guess also. Looking at the bolt holes in the castings on the ends, I would think what you have is only the top part, with the sliding motor for the grinding stone. There should be a frame base it bolts to that clamps the knives in place. 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

moodnacreek

Back then slabs where slabs. There is tons of literature out there on bellsaw tools. Today they are Timberking.

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ed_K

Yesterday I was going thru the boxes the clamps came in a found a white cloth bag. In the bag was allen wrenches two nuts an bolts that fit the holes in the base of the belsaw frame and a white grind stone that fits in the collet on the motor. So I guess I have a knife grinder with no base or knife holder now the journey begins to get the rest of the machine. I do have a big flat knife grinder that someone gave me yrs ago that I never set up. I'll take a pic of the motor info plate an put it up. It has a 110 plug on it. That's why I plugged it in to see if it worked. I had to spin the big pulley to get it going then it tripped the breaker at the house so I gave up.
Ed K

Don P

Some knife grinders live on the top of the planer to sharpen in place.

Larry

If your lathe motor is capacitor start, the centrifugal switch could be stuck which will trip the breaker.

The best solution is to find a used 3 phase motor and run it with a VFD.  This will give you variable speed, reverse, and motor overload protection.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ed_K

Quote from: Larry on September 29, 2019, 10:29:57 AM
If your lathe motor is capacitor start, the centrifugal switch could be stuck which will trip the breaker.

The best solution is to find a used 3 phase motor and run it with a VFD.  This will give you variable speed, reverse, and motor overload protection.
That is way beyond my intelligence of electricity. This is why I'll never own or work on a new skidder  ;D. It'll be easier for me to go to tsc an get a new 3/4 hp motor that runs on 110 from my generator. The electric co. wanted to much money to run a line 350' to my rebuilt sugar house where I plan to have a small wood working shop  8).
Ed K

doc henderson

we have a electric motor shop, and they do big stuff, but will usually look at something like that and tell you what is wrong and what it might cost to fix.  initially at no charge.  good luck.

Thank You Sponsors!