iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any guess on a fair price??

Started by labradorguy, July 10, 2019, 09:50:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

labradorguy

Hey all.

I found a 299D close enough to go fetch that is being auctioned for parts. It's a 2012 with like 400 hours or so. It caught fire so the engine and anything remotely flammable is gone, but I was thinking u/c, sprockets, guards, idlers, rear door, front mounting plate, etc... it might be worth getting. Best part is that it has a Cat heavy duty grapple on it that was not damaged. I have one of those now and they are really great.

Any clue what a fair price would be for something like this? I am clueless.

doc henderson

do you need parts for a 299d, or will you be selling them off.  I would start with the price of the grapple.  I think some of the parts you mentioned may be tempered and poss. damaged as well by the fire.  It is of course worth what ever someone will pay for it.  To rebuild it, with the cost of CAT parts would be out of the question.  good luck.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

labradorguy

I have a 299 and thought it could be good for cheap parts for when mine needs new sprockets or I cave in a back door in the woods.  :D

Southside

I would say it's worth it's value in scrap metal, the grapple is a bonus for having to cut it all apart. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

if no one else is bidding, you may get it cheap.  might calculate scrap price.  there will aluminum on engine but it would have to be separated to get most money.  if you get it for 200 bucks, great.  if it gets into the thousands, i would move away.  as @Southside  mentioned, there will be some work on your part to even scrap it.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

mike_belben

$2000ish.  You pay retail for the grapple and get the spares for free.
Praise The Lord

Corley5

Looks like it burned pretty hot.  I'd be leery of what the heat did to the metal parts.   
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

chevytaHOE5674

I wouldnt plan on using any of the parts from it for anything with as hot as that got. So bid on the grapple, the rest is just scrap metal that will require some work to cut apart.

47sawdust

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

dsroten

I've been in the salvage car parts business for several years, and for the most part when a car burns it gets mashed and sent on.  Maybe the rear axle or bumper is salvageable but thats about it.  Its possible a sprocket or two is useable from that machine, but I wouldnt figure on it.  As others mentioned, buy the grapple if you want it, and figure the rest is useless.  And burnt stuff is nasty to mess with, soot and rust abound.  

Oddman

Quick Google search showed a burnt out 299d for $1350, no bucket...it still had the tracks on it, looked like less damage than the one your looking at. 

labradorguy

Thanks guys. I can always count on some good advice when I come here.

doc henderson

I think i will carry a fire extinguisher. :o

BargeMonkey

Quote from: doc henderson on July 10, 2019, 09:37:03 PM
Friend of mine sent me pics of his track bobcat with the mower head going up, it went QUICK. Everything we own had an extinguisher and any new woods iron will have a system. 

ehp

GRANITEstateMP

I keep one on my tractor ( which is only feet away from the processor), none in my truck... If that thing catches, I'm grabbing my good flashlight out of it, my quarters for toll money and waiting on the check from the insurance company :D
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Corley5

Keep the belly pans and engine bays free of woody debris/vegetation.  If a machine does burn down the 1st thing your insurance company will do is analyze an ash sample looking for a way to blame the fire on a lack of maintenance by the operator whether that was the cause or not. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

mike_belben

Collect premiums, deny claims.  Get rich, playin insurance games. 
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

Quote from: BargeMonkey on July 10, 2019, 11:00:44 PM
Friend of mine sent me pics of his track bobcat with the mower head going up, it went QUICK. Everything we own had an extinguisher and any new woods iron will have a system.
Fire extinguisher are great but the suspension systems are the way to go.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Skeans1 on July 11, 2019, 07:40:46 PM
Quote from: BargeMonkey on July 10, 2019, 11:00:44 PM
Fire extinguisher are great but the suspension systems are the way to go.
Anything over a certain dollar value I think it's the way to go to keep your premiums down. I've got one in my delimber but its 10yrs past for service 😂 
I got a quote 3yrs ago at the log show from a suppression company, gave the paperwork to the company who installed my system at the store for the hood and they where 1/2 the cost. 

Satamax

Quote from: Southside on July 10, 2019, 10:57:19 AM
I would say it's worth it's value in scrap metal, the grapple is a bonus for having to cut it all apart.
I'm with Southside. aluminium parts might be cracked by the heat. Everything with an oil seal or an O ring is to be considered dead. Transport for it ain't gonna be easy or cheap. There is auctioneer fees too. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

mike_belben

You can plumb your own with Co2 tank and some soft copper lines to some simple pipe manifolds.  Anywhere you know oil and leaves will be soaked underneath where you cant hit it direct with a fire extinguisher, just put a length of 1/4" sched 40 with holes drilled all over and a cap on the end, zip tied to whatever to stay put.  Itll flood the oxygen out of the space and prevent a runaway.
Praise The Lord

nativewolf

Quote from: mike_belben on July 12, 2019, 10:44:29 AM
You can plumb your own with Co2 tank and some soft copper lines to some simple pipe manifolds.  Anywhere you know oil and leaves will be soaked underneath where you cant hit it direct with a fire extinguisher, just put a length of 1/4" sched 40 with holes drilled all over and a cap on the end, zip tied to whatever to stay put.  Itll flood the oxygen out of the space and prevent a runaway.
Now that's a neat idea mike and actually a potential small business.  Develop kits for skid steers to let people install runaway fire prevention.  Seems to me that's a business, make the kit parts, ship in a box with instructions. 
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

I'll add it to the hundred other potentially big things ive invented in my life.    

The community college i went to had an issue with seating for the increasing number of morbidly obese students.  Federal law demanded they solve it at any cost.  Adaptive services lady came to a class looking for a solution, no one was interested.  I whipped up some graphing paper sketches and priced material.  Showed her, she says how much per unit.  I said $300 [2004ish] she says ill start with 100 units, when can you have them ready?    

I took a long look in the mirror and decided fat kid desks wasnt gonna be my identity.  Almost borrowed a lot of money over it.  I did make a product for 8 years that i sold to my distributor.  Still in production.

But its all fun and games until someone sues you for a burnt ponsse.  Id rather haul rock.
Praise The Lord

luvmexfood

For several years I worked at an airport and was in the fire/police department. Earthmoving contractor was working on the backside of the runway. One operator rolled a big Cat hauler. It caught on fire. His exact words was " if I had had an extinguisher I could have got the fire out before it got big.

Anyway we rolled our crash/fire trucks. Extinguished the fire but hauler was toast. Company could have probably bought 40 fire extinguishers for what we billed them for foam to extinguish the fire. 
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Thank You Sponsors!