iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Resawing Heart Pine Timbers

Started by Jjoness4, October 08, 2018, 12:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jjoness4

A lady approached me with request to resaw 100 heart pine beams which are 4 inch by 7 inch and 12 feet long.  They have been denailed but she was sure that there were some nails that broke off at the surface.  I have a metal detector but there may be several nails embedded.  Should I even consider this project.  I told her that I would     and saw at $100/hr and would have to charge $22 per damaged blade.  Comments?
2017 LT40HDD35 , Kubota 4701, Ford 3000, Stihl Farmboss

moodnacreek

In some areas those beams may be worth more than what they could be sawn into.

terrifictimbersllc

With beams, unlike logs, any metal is near the surface and will be detectable with a wand detector.  If it weren't too far, I'd offer to start the job and see how it goes.  I would take 2 sawhorses and scan the faces of the beams before sawing.  This is fast.   You could quickly saw all those that are metal free.   If some need to be de-nailed, this could be time consuming.  It doesnt matter that nails are broken off if that is near the surface.  You just find the nail, then either drill or use a pointed punch to punch holes down either side of the nail.  Then tap in a needle nose vise grips, grab the nail firmly, and use a crowbar hooked end to grab the underside of the vise grips jaw and pull the nail out.  This is pretty quick and effective and does not make big gouges in the wood.  If that works and it is too time consuming you could show her how to do it and maybe come back after she clears the rest of the metal.

Also don't be afraid to keep sawing when hitting a nail.  Sight the kerf to make sure it is cutting straight and cut isn't too ragged.  You can sometimes hit a few old nails crosswise and still keep cutting if you're not ruining wood.  
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Jim_Rogers

As mentioned you can pull those nails. If they are "cut nails" then bending them will break them, so pull them straight up. If they are wire nails that's different then can be bent while pulling out.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Revival Sawmill

Maybe a good opportunity to try out some of those super-tough band blades, bi-metallic? idk.  Sounds like you've already committed to it though...

Southside

Don't even think about doing it without Bi-metal bands, but yes I have and would do that job. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Stephen1

I would and have done the very similar beams. 250 DF beams 25' long. it took me 6 weeks. I would average 10 blades a day. some I salvaged some were junk. Charge at least what you pay for a blade. Yes sometimes you can keep sawing depending on the metal. 
It  was my first sawing job for pay....did I learn a lot :D
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

nativewolf

Didn't Peter just do this, two tractor trailer loads?
Liking Walnut

Peter Drouin

I did some, Better have a bunch of blades. :D :D :D :D :D

Just a hand full of what I got out of the beams.

Junk ones. Good luck.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jjoness4

We are going ahead with the project.  The lady is very accommodating, even offered to buy a "real good" metal detector.  She understands the blade liability but after looking at couple of the beams I believe we can get them reasonably clean of metal.  They were actually an industrial building floor built in the 1920s and were spiked with very large 60 penny nails.  She wants the resawed boards for a floor in a house she is building.  It appears to be true heart pine.  Since I don't own a planer, she has someone who will "skip plane" the boards for her. Not sure if she will be getting them tongue and grooved.  The beams are bone dry as they were just recovered from the demolition about a month ago and have been drying for about a hundred years :).  Thanks for everyone's input.  I'll keep you posted with pictures.   
2017 LT40HDD35 , Kubota 4701, Ford 3000, Stihl Farmboss

Lawg Dawg

Good luck, and get a little squirt bottle with some diesel in it...does wonders for keeping pine rosin cleaned off the blade, just squirt enough on it while its running to clean it off. Bought every other pass.  Try it, you will like it! ;D

I got a TINY hole in that cap couple seconds of drip and it's clean!
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Jim_Rogers

Just because they have been in a building for 100 years doesn't mean they are free from pitch.
You will need to keep the blade clean to cut straight.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Stephen1

The first cut on the beam if its the old floor side will dull your blades if not deep enough. A lot of dirt over the years is driven into that floor. You might find you need a deeper cut
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!