iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stadium light poles

Started by Busysawyer, October 09, 2018, 09:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busysawyer

Any of you guys mill any old stadium lighting poles? I recieved a phone call from an electrical contractor today that said he removed 10 poles. He said they are 110ft long 3ft diameter at the base and 16 inches at the top. He claims they are cedar. He wanted to know if I had any interest in them, I would just have to pay for trucking to get them here. He said they are all cut in half and about 50ft long now. I didnt think cedar got that big, anyone know anything about old wooden stadium light poles.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

PAmizerman

My dad had some sawn by another Sawyer before I got my mill.
They had no treatment in them.
The poles we're about 24" diameter
They made nice lumber.
I'm not sure what species of cedar they were but they were big
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

caveman

Sounds like western red cedar.  I would saw them.  They usually treat the part that is buried in the ground.  
Caveman

Larry

The poles will have a brand or birthmark that will detail the species and treatment alone with other information.  Its placed about eye level after the pole is planted.  On a pole of that size I would guess maybe 20 to 25' up from the butt end.

I custom sawed some that size for a contractor one time.  I found out WRC irritates me and don't (won't) saw it again.  Might have been because it was so dry.  The highest use I think is long deck boards.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

nativewolf

Quote from: Larry on October 09, 2018, 09:54:32 PM
The poles will have a brand or birthmark that will detail the species and treatment alone with other information.  Its placed about eye level after the pole is planted.  On a pole of that size I would guess maybe 20 to 25' up from the butt end.

I custom sawed some that size for a contractor one time.  I found out WRC irritates me and don't (won't) saw it again.  Might have been because it was so dry.  The highest use I think is long deck boards.
makes wonderful siding, my ceiling (exposed decking) is WRC, looks wonderful.  Poor mans redwood.
Liking Walnut

derhntr

I sawed a bunch this spring in GR. If they came from a baseball field they will eat up blades quickly from embedded dust. Hard to saw around the splits, but some really nice boards and planks in them. Bottoms will be treated.
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

47sawdust

Dust respirator is a must with WRC.Have a look see, might be worth sawing.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

4x4American

You only die once lol give it a shot
Boy, back in my day..

Runningalucas

So...... In North Idaho, I talked to a logger, who I got on the subject of all the big stumps in our area; you can find BIG cedar stumps here, and there.  They're old, and somewhat common.  He made the comment that all stadium lights out of cedar came from this area; in the early 20th century.

He was talking about across the country, I just didn't ask exactly what he considered country....   I do know an unmarked cedar down by Couer d'Alene that was around 12' at the base, and still living.  Just over in Montana, they've got the giant cedars.. Ross Creek Giant Cedars Natural Area, Libby, Montana
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

Quebecnewf

I would jump on that. If they are WRC they will be as good today as the day they were cut most likely. Be aware of the sawdust and try not to have too much in your face . 

A great wood for any outdoor projects . If they are clear you might look into the strip plank canoe market . They will pay a premium  price but the log has the be sawed correctly and in long long lengths 17' . 

Go for it and post pics .

This is a small WRC pole I got and I turned it from this

To this

An finally to this

Quebecnewf 

Al_Smith

The guys I had mill around 3500 BD ft of hardwood were all linemen and worked out of Detroit for years .They had the occasion of being able to acquire for free the butt ends of 100-110 foot cedar poles that been cut down to 70 footers .
They were able to pay several times for a small Woodmizer mill from the sale of the cedar lumber .Plus they all ended up with cedar lined closets .
They would cut them down to 16 footers and haul a trailer load down I-75 about 100 miles south nearly every week end for months .

curved-wood

Quote from: Quebecnewf on October 12, 2018, 06:12:48 AM

I would jump on that. If they are WRC they will be as good today as the day they were cut most likely. Be aware of the sawdust and try not to have too much in your face .

A great wood for any outdoor projects . If they are clear you might look into the strip plank canoe market . They will pay a premium  price but the log has the be sawed correctly and in long long lengths 17' .

To this

An finally to this

Quebecnewf
That is a beautifull boat. Must be quite an experience to built

alan gage

Quote from: Quebecnewf on October 12, 2018, 06:12:48 AMIf they are clear you might look into the strip plank canoe market . They will pay a premium  price but the log has the be sawed correctly and in long long lengths 17'

Nothing too special about boards for cedar strip canoes. They just need to be flat sawn so that the little strips ripped out of them will turn out quarter sawn. Not sure about the plank boat Quebecnefw posted.  Probably not a real big market but good WRC is something canoe builders are always searching for. Retail it goes for about $7/bf for A grade and $3.50/bf for D grade (couple small pin knots/board). The A grade is usually supplied S4S at 3/4" or slightly under. The D grade will be ripped on both edges but rough faces at about 7/8". I prefer the thicker for canoe strips since I can plane it all down to uniform thickness and still be at 3/4". Sometimes 4" wide D grade would be discounted over 6". I liked D grade because it was cheap pretty much every board was flat sawn. I liked A grade because the quality of the lumber was better (closer growth rings and less tearout when routing and hand planing) and their was some color variation (always got some very dark boards with every load).

When I was building canoes I would have loved to have found a good consistent source for clear WRC and there are other builders that would too. But also be aware that many people building strip canoes are trying to do so on a budget and would rather buy cheap grade 3 planks from a box store and cut around the knots to get their strips. It's more work but it works for them. Most canoes will take 50-60bf of lumber and most people don't build more than one. For a few years I was building 2-3 each winter and would buy 150bf at a time so even for someone who is doing a lot of building it won't be large amounts.

Most people want full length strips for their boats but butt joining (or scarfing) strips together is no big deal and is what I tended to do on my personal boats because it was easier to handle 10-12' boards as opposed to 17-18'.

Alan

Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

olcowhand

Quote from: Quebecnewf on October 12, 2018, 06:12:48 AM

To this

An finally to this

Quebecnewf
QuebecNewf,
That watercraft is beautiful.....
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Bandmill Bandit

Any stadium WRC light poles are worth their weight in at least sliver. 

I am looking for a few WRC main line pole to make a slightly larger version of that water craft my self.

As far as large cedar there a lt of them in the Shuswap region of BC. Theres a park at Sicamous that has quite a few that are 8 foot at the stump and pictures of loggers falling som that look to be at least 12 foot and larger stumps.    
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Thank You Sponsors!